Hatch Suggestion's >

Hatch Suggestion's

Notices

Hatch Suggestion's

Old 11-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hatch Suggestion's

I have a 2001 358 and was planning on doing some minor engine modifications, but all the modification's I want to do there is not enough hatch clearance. Even adding a larger Flame Arrestor on the stock Throttle Body is a problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion as what to do? Please don't tell me the only thing to do is BUY A NEW HATCH!! I hope that there is a cure for this problem

Oh I forgot to say the 358 has 500 EFI'S.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: Hatch Suggestion's

The same thing I use to fix all my other problems on the boat , car, home, etc.

A BIGGER HAMMER
Old 11-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Registered

No, now seriously. What are you trying to do?? And what is it you are having problems with the hatch doing??
Old 11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Registered

When hatch goes down it hits the stock Mercury Flame Arrestor. There is now additional room up front for a larger Flame Arrestor. I did find out that when Sonic started to install the 525's they had to modifiy the hatch, so the new Throttle Body and larger Flame Arrestor would not hit the hatch.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Registered

How much addt'l room do you require?? Just adding bigger flame arrestors??

I would look first at the hinges for either relocation or modification. Then I would be looking at the hatch to see if I could either shave it or cut a groove into it for clearance.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Registered

That's what I might end up doing. Trying to shave or cut a hole in the back of the seat to make room for the Flame Arrestor. Was just looking for some other idea's that might be easier or less drastic.

Was surprised to see how tight 500 EFI was in the engine compartment in relation to such a large hatch.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some hatches that have like a pan opening cut in them for clearance. Doesn't look all that hard to do and saves the top of the hatch.

I raised the hatch on my Checkmate with 3 1/2" stainless blocks that fit under the hinges and plastic spacers for the rest points on the other side. Then I closed the back off with a stainless strip bolted across the spacer hinge blocks. It came out pretty good. Unless I point it out, most people don't notice it.

Your motors must mount very high in the boat. My 386 with 575's has a lot of room on the top.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 358 with 525's and the air cleaners just barely hit the hatch.
Sonic has recommended that I slot the back seat portion of the hatch to get clearence for the air cleaners. I have looked at doing the slotting but have not done it as yet.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
Your motors must mount very high in the boat. My 386 with 575's has a lot of room on the top.
I think he is having problems with the hatch hitting the front of the engine against the back seat. Height wise should not be a problem I would hope.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered

Yes you guys are right. Because of the angle of the seat back the flame arrestor hits. I'm going to cut out some of the seat back and make a Stainless insert.

I think that is what Quiet Storm suggested. Hey Quiet Storm I'm the one that was next to you at Smoke on the Water Poker Run. Just going to do some minor add on's this year and see what happen's. What ever I do this year will be less I have to do next year. Always trying for that 1 XTRA MPH. SOME DAY I WILL LEARN TO LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE!!!!

YEA RIGHT.

Quick Reply: Hatch Suggestion's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.