Cam removal on 358 >

Cam removal on 358

Notices

Cam removal on 358

Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cam removal on 358

Does anyone know whether or not you can pull the cam out on a 358 with HP500's without pulling the motors?? My boat is in storage and I'm trying to get this material ordered but don't know whether or not it can be done. I need approx 24" from the timing cover to the front - does anyone know this measurement? Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cam removal on 358

splashandburn,
Our 2001 358 didn't have 24" in front of the engines. I could just get my legs in front of them.We had 500 efi's.Our new 368 has and extra 1 1/2 feet in the engine compartment.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Registered

NJSONIC,
Thanks - I know I can get barely get in front of the engines but I'm not sure just how much room there is once you remove all the pulleys from the front. I really wish I could get to the boat to measure it but it's just not possible.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

splashandburn,
I think it would be too tight to get them out with out damaging the cams or the bearing surfaces. Call Mindi Doller I'm sure she can get you a firm idea of whether or not you can do it without pulling the engines.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Registered

I'll give her a call tomorrow. I called Sonic and asked for Bruce but he was out. I was put on hold for a minute or so and was transferred to Richard. He was as helpful as he could be but said honestly that Bruce was the guy to talk to. I was surprised that he was so accessible after all the "rumors" that have been floating around. Thought you guys might be interested.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

here's a thought i've done before,where the cam would slide out and hit the back of seat,hole saw a hole through then slide the cam out,once all back together nobody will ever notice or wonder why you have a 3" whole in your seat bottom.dave
Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Registered

I don't think that would work here. Right in front of the motors is a bulkhead. I think that the fuel tanks are directly in front of that. A good thought though - thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have seen the hole-saw trick work a few times. Perhaps by the time you pull the cam out, it will move upward a few inches above the floor bulkhead, and can pass into the under-rear-seat compartment. You may have to make an oblong hole to pass the cam out sideways a bit.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by splashandburn
I don't think that would work here. Right in front of the motors is a bulkhead. I think that the fuel tanks are directly in front of that. A good thought though - thanks.
I can go out with a tape and get you what you are looking for next week . I think its to tight though.
RR
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I have seen the hole-saw trick work a few times. Perhaps by the time you pull the cam out, it will move upward a few inches above the floor bulkhead, and can pass into the under-rear-seat compartment. You may have to make an oblong hole to pass the cam out sideways a bit.
Make sure the cam comes out of the engine straight,if you
wiggle it out or pull it out sideways you will scratch the cam bearings.

Quick Reply: Cam removal on 358

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.