Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Last minute trip to Bimini....anyone else wanna come? >

Last minute trip to Bimini....anyone else wanna come?

Notices

Last minute trip to Bimini....anyone else wanna come?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Last minute trip to Bimini....anyone else wanna come?

Nancy and I decided last week that we needed some relaxing island time. So, we're off to Bimini. If anyone else wants to tag along, let me know quick!

Here's the plan:

Leave Austin Friday afternoon (yes, this Friday!!)
Arrive in Ft Lauderdale late afternoon Saturday.
Spend one night at Bahia Mar Hotel & Marina.
Leave early Sunday morning for Bimini (about 45 miles off the coast). This is assuming the weather is good. Otherwise, we'll wait till Monday.
Stay at Bimini Big Game Sunday night thru Friday morning.
Leave early Friday morning for Ft Lauderdale.
Load up and head home.

We did this with a few other boats a few years ago and had a blast. There have been a few other trips to the Bahamas planned, but they kept fizzling out at the last minute. This one is on. We're definitely going!

We're already booked in both Ft Lauderdale and Big Game on Bimini.

Big Game has been closed for the last two years for remodeling. They just reopened a couple weeks ago. And, they're having a big re-opening party during the week we'll be there. Also, the Biminites are having a big birthday party for Hemingway the same week.

Let me know if you wanna come!

Ed & Nancy
Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet trip, just returned from a week at Havazoo. Would love to go but I'm not 100% sure I could make the crossing in a 27'. I'm not scared and I've made longer trips in smaller boats but if I did it, I might have to add it to "my stupid event list."
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Damn Ed I would go but the wife has to work next week....we are coming over for the Carlos & Charlies run this weekend.....
Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Registered

Good luck Ed. Wish we were going with you again. Just remember to keep going 10 degrees to your port!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Registered

Back home safe and sound. Busta, Tom, we missed y'all.

We had a great time on both N and S Bimini. With just the two of us, we saw a lot more than we saw last time. And met a lot of interesting people. The remodel at Big Game was awesome. We hit all the bars and all the beaches. We left the boat in the slip the whole time though because the winds never let up, which was very unusual for this time of year.

Getting there this time was definitely and "adventure" though. 5 minutes after launching in Ft Lauderdale, the skies opened up and dumped on us. 5 minutes later the IAC on my port motor burned up. So, with the wind, rain, and not being able to idle my port side, it was interesting finiding and getting into the slip. Luckily I had a spare IAC in my box of extra parts. But, since the original melted, I had to do some cutting/splicing to get the new one in.

The Gulf Stream was nasty going across on Sunday. As we were gassing up, there were fishermen coming back in because it was so bad. The wind was blowing from the East at 20-30mph the whole time. 6-8ft leaving Ft Lauderdale, 10-12ft in the Gulf Stream. We submerged the bow more times than I could count. All 3 bilge pumps were working over time. We will NEVER try to make it in those kind of seas again. It took about 5.5 hours to get across. We were averaging 8-10mph. There were people coming in in 75' and 120'+ yachts that told us we were crazy for coming across. It took them more than 4 hours. And the locals couldn't believe we made it either.

It was a beautiful sight when we saw land. But, at that point, we knew we still had an hour or more to go!

We were hoping all week the winds would eventually let up giving us a smooth ride home. No such luck. We ended up leaving Thursday to beat TS Bonnie. It was around 6-8ft the whole way. But, not as bad since the wind was still blowing from the East. We were kinda riding the waves back. It still took about 2 hours though.

We got the boat loaded up, flushed the motors, washed it, and left Ft Lauderdale around 4pm and drove all night to Biloxi and spent a day and a half with my Mom. We took off Saturday morning for home. About 3 hours from home, we blew up a trailer tire on I-10. I had two spares, so no big deal. Just a pain changing it in the 5pm heat!

Now.... who's coming next year?!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

24 hours from Austin to Lauderdale towing a boat?
Dang ! Takes me about 20-22 to Miami in a car without towing anything..

That gulf crossing can be silky smooth for a week and then turn on you in a heartbeat, many a times we left a boat there.flew back on Chalks and then went back to get it when weather was better.
Worst/stupidest for me was me and my cousin making the trip
in similiar weather as you described in a 21 Mako with twin outboards, legs and hips were black and blue by time we got there.
But we were young , stupid and hardheaded!

Glad you made it back safe and let us know with more time next year!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

Ed - Glad y'all made it back safe. I'll bet Nancy was a little nervous! Y'all are nuts! I'm ready to go whenever Roper is ready to pick me up at the airport in FL!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OutlawEd
Back home safe and sound. Busta, Tom, we missed y'all.

We had a great time on both N and S Bimini. With just the two of us, we saw a lot more than we saw last time. And met a lot of interesting people. The remodel at Big Game was awesome. We hit all the bars and all the beaches. We left the boat in the slip the whole time though because the winds never let up, which was very unusual for this time of year.

Getting there this time was definitely and "adventure" though. 5 minutes after launching in Ft Lauderdale, the skies opened up and dumped on us. 5 minutes later the IAC on my port motor burned up. So, with the wind, rain, and not being able to idle my port side, it was interesting finiding and getting into the slip. Luckily I had a spare IAC in my box of extra parts. But, since the original melted, I had to do some cutting/splicing to get the new one in.

The Gulf Stream was nasty going across on Sunday. As we were gassing up, there were fishermen coming back in because it was so bad. The wind was blowing from the East at 20-30mph the whole time. 6-8ft leaving Ft Lauderdale, 10-12ft in the Gulf Stream. We submerged the bow more times than I could count. All 3 bilge pumps were working over time. We will NEVER try to make it in those kind of seas again. It took about 5.5 hours to get across. We were averaging 8-10mph. There were people coming in in 75' and 120'+ yachts that told us we were crazy for coming across. It took them more than 4 hours. And the locals couldn't believe we made it either.

It was a beautiful sight when we saw land. But, at that point, we knew we still had an hour or more to go!

We were hoping all week the winds would eventually let up giving us a smooth ride home. No such luck. We ended up leaving Thursday to beat TS Bonnie. It was around 6-8ft the whole way. But, not as bad since the wind was still blowing from the East. We were kinda riding the waves back. It still took about 2 hours though.

We got the boat loaded up, flushed the motors, washed it, and left Ft Lauderdale around 4pm and drove all night to Biloxi and spent a day and a half with my Mom. We took off Saturday morning for home. About 3 hours from home, we blew up a trailer tire on I-10. I had two spares, so no big deal. Just a pain changing it in the 5pm heat!

Now.... who's coming next year?!
I've crossed the gulfstream in those conditions in a 38 Cig and I'll never forget it. Sounds like you experienced the same conditions as we did!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

GLad you made it back safe and sound Ed.
I had a 29ol that I submereged the bow a few times. Going from the 29 to the 35 I thought I it would be very hard to dunk the bow. I know how the seas can get. I went from the west coast of FL. Gulf waters to the Vero beach area on the east coast. most days are 3-5's and the gulf stream can get nasty.