Lake Whitney Report >

Lake Whitney Report

Notices

Lake Whitney Report

Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Whitney Report

Just got back from four days at Lake Whitney. Overall, we had a great time! Lots of skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. The lake is low, 519 this morning when we left. Normal is 533. I had no problems at all with my 25 Nordic except one scuff on the nose cone of the drive, it was waaay trimmed up so no prop damage. It happened coming back in to the launch ramp at Loeffer's Bend Park. We had the lake largely to ourselves. We were warned not to go too far up the river because of the level. We ventured no further than the Juniper Cove area. The McCowan Park area offered some fantastic sandy beaches. It was very reminiscient of the Lower Colorado outside of Yuma. It's exactly what we were looking for and is the best lake we've found in South Texas.

The not so good that I think y'all should know. I've been planning this trip for at least a month and I've talked to numerous folks about cabins, lake houses, marinas, etc. I spoke with the owner of Juniper Cove early on. I told him we were looking for a place to keep our boat in the water, a slip, overnight. He asked where we were staying so I told him we were considering a home above the lake. He told me that "those people were going to put him out of business." I thought that was kind of an odd thing to say, I mean should folks not be able to compete when attracting customers? He assured me he had a deep water ramp and that he reserved slips for his customers but if he had one available I was welcome to it. I remember him telling me it would be $10 a night for an uncovered slip and $15 a night for a covered slip. Based on the location of the marina we rented a house. I did tell the owner of Juniper Cove Marina, JERRY ANDERSEN, that I'd be open to renting from him but he didn't have anything that would accomodate the seven of us, we have five kids. I assured him this was about finances and not that I wanted to "put him out of business."

Fast forward to last Sunday evening, we arrive at our rental home, $150 per night, pet friendly, with a view of the lake. I call Juniper Cove to check to see if a slip is available and get the particulars of launching, the property, etc. The owner, JERRY ANDERSEN, picks up the phone and I remind him about who I am and ask about the slip availability. He says they're $15 for uncovered and $25 for covered. Now, that's not my memory of the price he quoted me so I ask "are you sure?" I said I called earler and I remembered different prices. Before I can finish my sentence he says "well, if you're calling me a liar then you can go somewhere else and hangs up on me. It takes me a minute to realize what's happened so I call back to clarify and tell him look, I talked to a lot of folks I just wanted to make sure about the price. I honestly would have paid the $25 a night because we had picked a place to stay based on using his Marina. He made it clear he didn't want my business and I was not welcome on HIS property!

This greatly complicated our trip. I had to do a great deal of driving to get to another marina. The folks of Harbor Master Marina, next to the dam werre very helpful and it cost $30 for three nights for a covered slip. I spoke to the neighbor across from where we were staying and he said he had a similar situation with JERRY ANDERSEN from Juniper Cove. The folks at Harbor Master also cinfirmed this is not the first time they've heard this story.

Just a heads up that I think JERRY ANDERSEN from JUNIPER COVE MARINE IS A COMPLETTE @SS! AND I HOPE HE DOES GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides that a good time was had by all. Great lake!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

This posting is very offensive and I will take action if it is not removed.

The gentleman has detailed most of the discussions correctly but he failed to include that this is a private business and our available overnight slips are primarily for our guests (20 cabins and 100 RV/camping sites).

Our overnight slip prices (when we have available slips) have not changed in the last 12 months--he told me on the phone that I had quoted a lesser price, which I then objected to and told him to stay somewhere else.

His language is offensive and he should not be permitted to post this.
This posting is very offensive and I will take action if it is not removed.

The gentleman has detailed most of the discussions correctly but he failed to include that this is a private business and our available overnight slips are primarily for our guests (20 cabins and 100 RV/camping sites).

Our overnight slip prices (when we have available slips) have not changed in the last 12 months--he told me on the phone that I had quoted a lesser price, which I then objected to and told him to stay somewhere else.

His language is offensive and he should not be permitted to post this.
"Just a heads up that I think JERRY ANDERSEN from JUNIPER COVE MARINE IS A COMPLETTE @SS! AND I HOPE HE DOES GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

I think I get to have an opinion...

and according to you I've recited what happened exactly as it happened. I have the right to think you're an @ss! I'm not the only one by the way. Everyone I've come into contact with in the boating community knows your name and that you told me you didn't want my money and that it was your right to do so because it's your private business. I consider this message a service to the boating community, my friends to not do bussiness with an @ss like you! We have choices and you made one for me and my family when we had planned to use your place of business. I hope this is a lesson for you, when I told people of your actions around Lake Whitney NO ONE was surprised. The word "pr!ck" came up unsollicited. I hope you change your ways or you will go out of business!

Moderator, if I've crossed a line here I'll understand you taking down this post. Like I said I recited exactly what happened and nothing more. It's just like this jerk to threaten legal action to supress the way he treated a fellow boater and his family. On top of that he doesn't know how to post his message once!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered

Not to hi-jack the thread, but we had a similar issues with an rv site and marina on Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas. Willow Beach Marina.

Labor day weekend 2 years ago, I reserved 2 RV sites for my family (my parents and wife's parents). I also confirmed with owners that I needed a spot with power for my boat (it was like $30/night which was cool). We arrived with one RV and 2 boats (my friend was going to dock next to us in his cruiser for 1st night only). Once he docked up, the older owners walked over and demained with un-tie both boats and go else where. We were very confused. They said we looked like trouble and were going to be too loud at night with our boat stero. I didnt know what to say and explained we were all tired and planned on an early evening. They even went as far to say they didnt offer boats my size to dock up. I had to remind them I called several times to confirm rv spaces and boat spaces. My cop buddy even arrived and tried to explain we were not big partiers and would keep things calm, they wanted nothing of it due to all of us being under 40 yrs old. It was not until my in-laws arrived in there $400K RV that the owers changed there mind. I guess when 60 year olds roll up with $, they decided we were ok. They said the last boats they let tie-up to the end of the dock partied all night and blasted the stero. I was pissed after the end of the weekend too because my family said it was loud as hell in the rv sites due to all the kids running around and racing golf carts around the ground at 1am.

Ok, now back to the Jerry Anderson show