Lake Texoma Blue Green Alge >

Lake Texoma Blue Green Alge

Notices

Lake Texoma Blue Green Alge

Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Texoma Blue Green Alge

Any updates on the dreaded Blue Green Alge at Lake Texoma??? I would think with all this recent rain we would be good...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

They tested a few weeks ago and the results showed that its still there, but your right this recent rain ought to help.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it very hard to believe that there is still a present bloom given the weather conditions and rain. My company constantly monitors the lakes here that had the blooms (Oklahoma) and we've seen nothing since the beginning of october. With all the fresh water introduced (oxygen) and the colder weather (inhibition of bacteria), its trailed off to nothing besides stagnant areas or fields..
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why am I still hearing about blue green algae at Texoma? Just heard on the news 2 days ago there is still an existence of the algae. WTF? If this recent rain doesn't wash it out, we may have a summer full of this s%#^
Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

BGA is present in any source of water that has little to no movement. I could test any cattle pond in OK/TX and find it if I kept looking. And thats what TDEQ is doing right now. They are testing a LOT of water, i mean a LOT. BGA needs warm water (shallow), bacteria (mud) and sunlight to bloom.
And as shallow as all the lakes are down there, it wouldn't surprise me to still be finding some.

Another lake-closing bloom is pretty well imminent if we don't start seeing some REALLY cold temps soon. This mild winter is enjoyable, but is sure screwing up the BGA issue. Here at Grand, we are still seeing surface temps pushing almost 50*. We need high 30's to kill off most bacteria.

I wish you the best of luck, but I wouldn't get my hopes up down there!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They plan to test again next week. The rains have helped some but the mild winter is not helping anything. If they ban swimmimg this summer we are phukked bad.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Can they ban it or just discourage it? Last year they tried doing that here, but all they ended up getting was a "Swimming Warning" all over the news advising everyone NOT to swim. On the 4th of july no less!

Stay out of the warm stagnant shallow water and you should be fine!