Notices

Lake Austin

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lake Austin

I'm interested in dragging my boat to Austin for a upcoming weeked. I use to live there, so am aware of the town, but not much in terms of lakes. I've spent alot of afternoons at Hula Hut and often see many wake boats in Lake Austin, but I'm curious if bigger boats hit the lake as well? Also, besides under the 360 Bridge, where can you put in? Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to run a 26' boat. I felt that was on the bigger end of boats there. You can launch just down from the Hula Hut, 360 bridge, Emma Long park, or quinlan park. Last time I was there I spent all of my time dodging other boats and skiers

Last edited by Turbojack; 06-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

They just passed or are about to pass a bunch of new rules for Lake Austin with certain types of boats included and banned. I'm not up to speed on all of it but a couple Google searches and I'm sure you can find what you need to know. I can also tell you that a fast boat of any type is generally frowned upon down there. I would find out all you can before you get disappointed, turned away, and presented with several pink pieces of paper from local law enforcement. you can launch at 360, on Lake Austin Blvd, and at the end of Quinlan Park Rd in Steiner Ranch.

On a side note, Lake Travis is open as well as Mansfield Dam public ramp. Plenty of room to stretch your legs there.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe Lake Travis makes more sense for me then. I appericate everyone's comments.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

I've had mine on Austin a couple times. There's really no room to stretch your legs and a whole lot of wakeboard boats to dodge. Travis is much better.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered

last time i was on lake austin i went to the hula hut and had some wakeboard tool yell at me to put mufflers on my boat....needless to say, i bumped the throttle a couple times...its a fun lake, but you'll spend alot of time dodging wakeboarders that are 3 wide facing in all directions. Travis is a much better choice....
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it is too small and too narrow, not really ideal for go fast boating. Get out to Travis and you'll have miles of room to stretch it out. Give me a PM, I'm out most weekends, I'd love to run with ya.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah... you'll get the finger and some choice words on Lake Austin with the exhaust open.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by msobczyk
Yeah... you'll get the finger and some choice words on Lake Austin with the exhaust open.
REALLY... Thats crazy, I had no idea
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one mentioned speed limits... It is my understanding that Lake Austin has a 35 or 40 mph speed limit. Also I was told years ago that over the transom exhaust had to have both mufflers and water on Lake Austin, I am sure that rule has just gotten tighter since then. It would not surprise me if they have some sort of noise ordinance down there now. Lake Travis is a better bet but be careful out there, it is still 1/2 full and lots of shallow points to get you in trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.