Moving To The Houston Area >

Moving To The Houston Area

Notices

Moving To The Houston Area

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving To The Houston Area

WELL IT WOULD HELP IF KNEW HOW TO SPELL THE NAME OF THE AREA WE ARE MOVING TO!!!!!

Well, it looks like my wife and I are moving to the Houston, TX area in about four weeks.

• What is the boating like?
• How is The Gulf for a 26' single?
• I have heard that Lake Conroe is a popular lake, but I also heard it has some rough water. Is it equal the rough water at The Lake of the Ozarks?
• If we decided to sell our 26' for something more appropriate for the area, is there a market for 26' single engine boats?
• What are the fees to register boats in TX?
• Is there a personal property tax on boats in TX?
• We also use indoor storage currently and this will also be a requirement, are the facilities that offer indoor boat storage in the area?

Thank you for the help and hopefully we'll get to meet some of you in the very near future.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-14-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added additional questions
Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Registered

Hit me up when you get here, [email protected], 281-910-2776. I can certainly hook you up in the powerboating community down here. A 26' what? What area are you moving to? Boating goes year round down here.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
WELL IT WOULD HELP IF KNEW HOW TO SPELL THE NAME OF THE AREA WE ARE MOVING TO!!!!!

Well, it looks like my wife and I are moving to the Houston, TX area in about four weeks.

• What is the boating like?
• How is The Gulf for a 26' single?
• I have heard that Lake Conroe is a popular lake, but I also heard it has some rough water. Is it equal the rough water at The Lake of the Ozarks?
• If we decided to sell our 26' for something more appropriate for the area, is there a market for 26' single engine boats?
• What are the fees to register boats in TX?
• Is there a personal property tax on boats in TX?
• We also use indoor storage currently and this will also be a requirement, are the facilities that offer indoor boat storage in the area?

Thank you for the help and hopefully we'll get to meet some of you in the very near future.
If ya don't mind the salt water, the coast is the place. You can stay in Clear Lake but on calm days, head out into Galveston Bay. Great area down there. I'm up north on Lake Conroe. Yes, it can get sloppy on busy weekends as most of the lake is bulkheaded. We've been in a 3 year drought and haven't been full pool in that time. Still boatable as its getting close to 4 ft low. Conroe is not a deep lake like LOTO. Boat registration runs for 2 years and just redid mine which was for $112.00 for my 302. No personel property tax on the boat. I keep mine in a closed storage as you have them here and also in the Clear Lake area.

Last edited by firehill19; 09-14-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

1st welcome to Houston.

I have to ask where in the area are you going to work and then where do you plan on living? Houston is HUGE!!!

Once you know that, then get a hold of Mr.Somethin' Sexy... He will not lead you in the wrong direction.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered

Somethin' Sexy, thank you for your contact information and we will certainly take you up on that. Boating year round is a big plus for us and we are looking forward to it!

Thanks Johnaut46 for the welcome.

Our boat is a 2011 Baja by Fountain 26OL with an e-box and 2" shorty along with a couple other extras. Hoping to get a few more things done over the winter if all works out.

This is my wife's job we are moving for and her office is going to be located off I-45 just south of the city around the exit 43 area. We HAVE NO IDEA where we are going to live once the dust settles. Right now we are just trying to wrap our heads around the fact the that in 5 weeks we are going to be there. The one thing we are going to have is a little better quality of life than we currently have. The home we bought in the St. Louis area was only 20 minutes away from my wife's job, three companies later she's 45miles away each way and it has gotten old for both of us. Currently we have to drive 30 minutes no matter where we need to go and that is getting old, so we are looking forward to fresh change and some palm trees.

What areas are nice and what areas do we need to avoid?
We are also thinking about building if that is a reasonable endeavor.

We are still learning about everything and it seems to be the right thing for us now. If it is alright I will keep everyone posted as we learn what is going on and I would be grateful for any additional insight.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Be prepared to drive. The area your wife is going to work in isn't a area you want to live. No where really close either. You have pearland to the south would be the closest if you want suburbs. Inner city I don't know much about except the uptown/heights area is nice but $$$, or you have to live north, east, or west of the city. Pearland/Friendswood will put you close to clear lake and work but still a fight with traffic. If you don't like 30 minute drives well... Be prepared like someone else said Houston is a big city. Clear lake gives you access to Sanjac river as well as the ability to run down to Galveston. Lots of different places to go. You can run a little or run a lot. Firehill can give you all the info on Conroe. Best suggestion is get down here and drive around. And Howdy!!

Last edited by T-RAV; 09-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-RAV
Be prepared to drive. The area your wife is going to work in isn't a area you want to live. No where really close either. You have pearland to the south would be the closest if you want suburbs. Inner city I don't know much about except the uptown/heights area is nice but $$$, or you have to live north, east, or west of the city. Pearland/Friendswood will put you close to clear lake and work but still a fight with traffic. If you don't like 30 minute drives well... Be prepared like someone else said Houston is a big city. Clear lake gives you access to Sanjac river as well as the ability to run down to Galveston. Lots of different places to go. You can run a little or run a lot. Firehill can give you all the info on Conroe. Best suggestion is get down here and drive around. And Howdy!!
All good info...

Welcome to Texas aka God's Country
Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, this is all very helpful information.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very humid !!! Welcome to Texas, you will love it here !!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Very humid !!! Welcome to Texas, you will love it here !!
Thanks Rwbrew3, we have some crazy humidity in the STL area but we are being told there is nothing like Houston Heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.