Notices

Camshaft snapping

Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft snapping

I've got a 76 Hallett with a ford 460 and it has snapped two camshafts right behind the timing chain gear. This is my first boat and I wanted to do away with the 460 and give it a fresh 454. But this close to summer and with money a lil tight I've been thinking about keeping the 460 for this summer. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont give up the 460. I have had several in my jet boats and they rock. First thing I would do is put a dial indicator on your crank to make shore it is not bent or out of round. That would cause your chain to get tighter and fatigue the weaker cam.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you we will give that a shot. I bought the boat from a good friend of mine and we both thought it was the distributor gear that had broke but after some trouble shooting my brother discovered that the cam shaft had broke so we ordered a new cam and lifters from comp cams and installed them and it ran for about 30 minutes and broke the new cam in the exact same spot. Could the motor not be oiling right and causing the cam to seize?? What are a good set of aluminum heads and intake to run on that 460