Naples to Key west??? >

Naples to Key west???

Notices

Naples to Key west???

Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naples to Key west???

I would like to run from Naples area to Key West. I was wondering what would be the best time to do a trip like this? would Christamas time or possibly Feb be ok as far as weather and water conditions. will be doing the trip on a 38 Donzi ZX.

any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SLAZARZ
I would like to run from Naples area to Key West. I was wondering what would be the best time to do a trip like this? would Christamas time or possibly Feb be ok as far as weather and water conditions. will be doing the trip on a 38 Donzi ZX.

any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott. It is just 100 miles down to Key West if you straight shot it to the Green 1 outside the Northwest Channel or about 135 miles if you run down the coast to Marathon and then run the Hawk Channel to Key West. If winds are 12 knots or less you will not have any problem with a 38 ZR. Be sure to get a good marine forecast before you go. I use NOAA marine weather mostly. At that time of the year you never know what you are going to get so best advise is to watch for a window to get down AND BACK. When you are in the area and closer to doing your trip, get in touch with me and I can give you some further help. There is more info you will need. Good luck.
Bob
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Naples to KW

I would run to marathon then down. If its blowing on the inside you can run on the outside. Good facilities largo, marathon, hawks cay, Holiday isle, ect should you run into big wind. Another thing to consider is large patches of seagrass. This stuff blows out of the glades at this time of year. It does not seem to bother bravo drives. My NXT's were not happy, lots of strainer cleaning stops. Especially on the inside. Great fun trip! Can't wait to go back.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Question

Fossil, how many miles does that run cover....?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

We just made this trip last week... Winds were out of the south at 10-15, it was a bit rough for my 30', but not out of the comfort zone. You would be fine in the 38. We headed strait out of Wiggins pass, down to Marco, then set pretty much a 180* course all the way down to the NW channel #1. Easy trip and it was an absolute blast. I would highly recommend it!

I will be posting details of our trip in the general section in the next couple of days.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
We just made this trip last week... Winds were out of the south at 10-15, it was a bit rough for my 30', but not out of the comfort zone. You would be fine in the 38. We headed strait out of Wiggins pass, down to Marco, then set pretty much a 180* course all the way down to the NW channel #1. Easy trip and it was an absolute blast. I would highly recommend it!

I will be posting details of our trip in the general section in the next couple of days.
Glad to hear it worked out well, Turbo. We will look forward to your thread.
Bob
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info! Any nice marinas to stay a night in if I decide to go the Marathon route? I have a friend in Sugarloaf but its tricky getting into the canal he lives on.

What is your recommendation for a few nights in Key West?
any place cheaper than A&B?

Bob,
Thanks for the info and keep the pics coming!!

Thanks Guys
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo

That's what boating is all about. I'm looking forward to a few runs over to Freeport/Lucaya this summer. I've done it in my 40' Sea Ray EC several times and used to do it years ago in my 272 LS. I also used to run to Bimini regularly in the 272 out of 'Lauderdale...ran with a bunch of Formulas, Donzis and Cigarettes...we called ourselves the "Bimini for Lunch Bunch".
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

hawks cay, holiday isle, coral lagoon, Boot key harbor all good. There are good wall ties at Bahia Honda but far from restaraunts. Not floating docks however, all are piling ties. I was really nervous about piling ties.....they are soft and will not hurt rub rails. The nicest marina in KW is Sunset. Floating docks and all. It is around the corner and on the inside. great fuel dock. Watch your GPS getting there though. Almost all these have shallow cuts into the marinas. They are good but you need a good chartplotter.

388, Marathon to KW 50 mi. I have never run from Marco

Last edited by fossil fuel; 05-05-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if you saw my thread in General, but we stayed at the Galleon and were very happy. We had some generous friends loan us a slip, otherwise it would have been out of my budget. If you can swing it, it's worth it. Great location and the resort amenities (pool, little beach, nice showers, bar etc.) are great if you stay on the boat.