Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Florida Const Jobs?? Help... >

Florida Const Jobs?? Help...

Notices

Florida Const Jobs?? Help...

Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Florida Const Jobs?? Help...

Due to family issues my wife is wanting to relocate to f.l. I'm a heavy equipment operator, make pretty ok $, and have been very fortunate to not be laid off in recent years. Looking for jobs and the f.l. market looks pretty soft. And the jobs available pay horrible. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED. average pay? Just putting all my lines in the water before I pack up, sell my house, quit my steady job , and get stuck in the sunshine state flipping burgers! Area would be crystal river, Hollywood, Hernando.....idk
Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont want to be a downer, but I think Florida is pretty slow. I have had guys come looking for operator jobs that came back home to Michigan from Florida due to lack of work, after having been there for years. This was last season though, maybe it has started to pick up. I think the only places doing decent for operators right now are out west in in the oil fields or possibly the Middle Atlantic states. Havent heard much out of Texas, but they have jobs sometimes.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM

was gunna move my concrete constr biz to the clearwater/ tampa area and had builder work lined up on Rt 54 for the same bldr we do work down here for and even as cut throat as it is here i will leave the equipt parked b4 work for Fl rates .good luck hope things work out 4 ya
Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

Construction is tough down here, and like fountianfan said it's cutthroat as you have companies putting bids in just enough to cover expenses which kills competitors if your trying to make a profit lol. Seems to happen more so with the larger firms that are just trying to keep afloat.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be blunt, construction in FL has all but come to a halt and the Crystal River area you mentioned isn't exactly a hotbed of growth. A major Metropolitan area like Tampa would be better, but that would be a hell of a commute for you. Even so, there's so much competition that the wages wouldn't be anywhere near what you're getting up in Mass.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Condering the insane amount of new homes and condos sitting vacant that may be sitting vacant for a VERY long time I would think construction would be a bad idea in Florida right now.

Quote:
"Nearly 1.6 million houses in Florida are currently vacant, a 63% increase since 2000."
www.totalmortgage.com

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 05-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I have been looking for work in FL, not construction but engineering.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there is not much and what there is doesn't pay.

The strange thing is the cost of living is higher then Indianapolis, even without state income tax.

I have a buddy that lives up in CR,,,,,, not much there at all. Other then a Nuke plant that is being worked on. (repairs)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered

Ya. What all you guys are saying is kinda what I expected. See ya at my drive thru position at sonic. Maybe spot me a $10 for boat gas? Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I have been looking for work in FL, not construction but engineering.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there is not much and what there is doesn't pay.The strange thing is the cost of living is higher then Indianapolis, even without state income tax.
Thats why I moved from south Florida to central Texas,
salaries are lower but cost of living higher and there are few jobs
because there is no real industry of any kind besides tourism.. .
(not to mention I live next to the water for 1/10 the cost! )
Was lucky to sell and get the heck outta there right before the crash or I would have been
working at Sonic myself..
Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
Ya. What all you guys are saying is kinda what I expected. See ya at my drive thru position at sonic. Maybe spot me a $10 for boat gas? Thanks
Good luck to ya man I wish I could do the same I hate MA it sucks people suck boating sucks weather sucks, I hope u make it happen I'm an electrician and I wish I could relocate or wish I had the balls too. If you don't move hit me up I'm out on the water ever weekend in buzzards bay. Good luck to ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.