Orginized Functions for Smaller Boats in Central FL >

Orginized Functions for Smaller Boats in Central FL

Notices

Orginized Functions for Smaller Boats in Central FL

Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orginized Functions for Smaller Boats in Central FL

Anyone know of any blackjack / poker runs / organized charities & or functions geared for the smaller boats? Seems like a lot of boats in the 20-25' range get left out of the BiG Boy runs (and understandably ). Just seems like the industry is missing out on what I would venture to say is the bulk of boat ownership.
Obviously I, with my Baja Hammer, can't keep up with, nor can I run the seas these larger boats run but would like the fun and excitement of raising money for a good cause thru organized functions along with meeting new people who have the same love as I do. Until my wallet is fat enough to take the next step, I will be racing around & enjoying my lil pocket rocket Just my $.02

Last edited by jlbspd; 02-03-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Great Post and...

Originally Posted by jlbspd
Anyone know of any blackjack / poker runs / organized charities & or functions geared for the smaller boats? Seems like a lot of boats in the 20-25' range get left out of the BiG Boy runs (and understandably ). Just seems like the industry is missing out on what I would venture to say is the bulk of boat ownership.
Obviously I, with my Baja Hammer, can't keep up with, nor can I run the seas these larger boats run but would like the fun and excitement of raising money for a good cause thru organized functions along with meeting new people who have the same love as I do. Until my wallet is fat enough to take the next step, I will be racing around & enjoying my lil pocket rocket Just my $.02
agreed.
Closest thing I know of is screamandfly.com but that site is mostly O/B's and 20' and less. There are quite a few of us over there in the 23' - 25' class too though but clearly the minority.
I have a 17' Hydrostream to run w/those guys and a 24' Sonic to mostly run by myself although there is now probably a 1/2 dozen of us w/similar rigs in the south 1/2 of Fla.
My wife and I stay on our boat also which it seems is out of the norm for most.
A get together for boats of of our size/speed is a great idea.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
agreed.
Closest thing I know of is screamandfly.com but that site is mostly O/B's and 20' and less. There are quite a few of us over there in the 23' - 25' class too though but clearly the minority.
I have a 17' Hydrostream to run w/those guys and a 24' Sonic to mostly run by myself although there is now probably a 1/2 dozen of us w/similar rigs in the south 1/2 of Fla.
My wife and I stay on our boat also which it seems is out of the norm for most.
A get together for boats of of our size/speed is a great idea.
Doesn't it get hot staying on your boat in the summer?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Registered

Default If you...

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Doesn't it get hot staying on your boat in the summer?
have shade and anchor into a breeze w/the hatches open it's fine.
First thing I did on both my Sonics is reverse which way the hatches face when open.
Doesn't take much breeze at all to sleep like a baby w/them open.
I also use a "Anchor Shade" umbrella on the boat for shade during the day. Same thing applies as above.
This teaches you to pay attention to wind direction when docking when staying on the boat. That determines which side of dock and/or whether you bow in or back in.
Way easier and nicer than what most people think.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

Well maybe if we can get enough folks with boats in this 20-25ft range showing interest, we might have something brewing here.
As for staying on your boat, I am trying to convince my wife, "Hey babe.... what an adventure it would be to stay on our boat?" she just looks at me like im crazy LOL. Hey, our boat may only have a bed for two but it does have a freshwater washdown for those early morning showers haha...Ya, I told her that and then she REALLY looked at me like I had lost my mind! I plan on making an ice cooler a/c for the up coming summer months in an effort to keep cool.
Well lets see if we can stir up enough interest and maybe there are some future boat meets for a up to 25'ish range..
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered

Default Preperation, preperation,preperation....

Well maybe if we can get enough folks with boats in this 20-25ft range showing interest, we might have something brewing here.
As for staying on your boat, I am trying to convince my wife, "Hey babe.... what an adventure it would be to stay on our boat?" she just looks at me like im crazy LOL. Hey, our boat may only have a bed for two but it does have a freshwater washdown for those early morning showers haha...Ya, I told her that and then she REALLY looked at me like I had lost my mind! I plan on making an ice cooler a/c for the up coming summer months in an effort to keep cool.
Well lets see if we can stir up enough interest and maybe there are some future boat meets for a up to 25'ish range..
I try to have EVERYTHING we'll need, be ready, and then do EVERYTHING while on the boat so she doesn't have to. I cook, clean and everything else. We have one of the fold up propane grills the size of a shoe box ($20.) and I cook everything on it. (on about our 5th one)
I take 2 coolers. 1 for food, and one for booze.
I make a real breakfast, a decent lunch and then a real dinner.
If you do this while she lounges, she will be impressed/sold. I was doing this one weekend on the beach behind the boat when a couple off a 39' Sea Ray anchored beside us walked by.
I was grilling shrimp, chicken and corn on the cob. Guy stopped and looked at the grill, and then his wife and said "I had cold meat sandwiches for dinner" and walked off shaking his head
We also carry a cheap 8' inflatable boat w/oars. ($40.) For places where we can't get to the beach or to save on dockage.
We normally do a night on the hook and then a night at a decent marina so she can get a shower and plug in her curling iron.
Paramount though is spending the night somewhere w/as close to zero wave movement as possible and a breeze.
If you do this after doing the day properly you'll both sleep like a baby after having rock star sex. She'll think you're a stud
I may not have the biggest/fastest/fanciest boat where we go, but we do have the most fun
We're taking ours to the Keys next week and doing just that.
We also carry 2 fold up bicycles for exploring once we do hit shore. These things rock and I'm on my 3rd set.
They ride just like regular bikes.
I'm still getting my act together on this boat but we're close.

I added a sun lounge during this restoration and if I did my math right, I have enough room for a real dinghy and this cool old folding 4 hp motor I picked up too

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-07-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Twin above, check out screamandfly, I run a 24 pantera with an outboard, but there are always a few I/O boats on our runs. Many runs a year from the suwanee to the keys. Doing River ranch in April, you should check it out.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

SONIC,

Sounds like you have your act together with this
My question for you is...where in the heck do you store all that stuff? My boat is 22', open cubby area, some storage under removal bed /floor, a little storage under the rear bench and half as much under the rear hatch next to the motor.
If i put in two folding bikes, a raft, a small break down outboard, grill and what nots, I would be bursting at the seams, if it at all even possible LOL ! I know you have a couple foot on my boat....that make the difference I guess you just make the very best use of every inch of space. I have a stereo system with two 10" subs in seperate boxes that sit on each side of the bed area. I am in the middle of making a fiberglass speaker box to get them up off the bed and out of the way, to free up a couple extra feet inside.
Im sure I can talk her into staying on it one night...think the key is to make it enjoyable with little to no expectations. I am planning for a trip to the keys this spring....maybe that would be a good time to attempt this.

Last edited by jlbspd; 02-08-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered

Default I am very lucky in that...

SONIC,

Sounds like you have your act together with this
My question for you is...where in the heck do you store all that stuff? My boat is 22', open cubby area, some storage under removal bed /floor, a little storage under the rear bench and half as much under the rear hatch next to the motor.
If i put in two folding bikes, a raft, a small break down outboard, grill and what nots, I would be bursting at the seams, if it at all even possible LOL ! I know you have a couple foot on my boat....that make the difference
Im sure I can talk her into staying on it one night...think the key is to make it enjoyable with little to no expectations. I am planning for a trip to the keys this spring....maybe that would be a good time to attempt this.
my boat is huge for a 24' of this style. You will not be able to haul all I do in your 22'.
Don't worry about it though. It can still be done and done well. My first over nighter cuddy was only 19' and we did pretty much the same thing in it less the bicycles. We just rented them when we hit port then.
We still had the collapsible beach chairs, Walmart dingy, grill etc.
I keep the dinghies in a duffel bag w/pump, oars and everything it needs. In the smaller boats I just strapped up in the V berth until we were ready for it. On all my boats I cut open the deck under the V-berth for storage. This is huge!
Generally your chairs and grill will fit down there. I'm also a sucker for anything collapsible as this is a huge help. I have inflatable bumpers, collapsible bucket for cleaning, camping pots/pans that all stack and are size of a medium bowl and another that is plates, bowls utensils both stored in their own bags.
Also, a porta potti is mandatory if you don't have one already. Made such a huge improvement (for over nighting) in my old Sonic that I snuck a picture of the girl friend peeing in it the 1st time She agreed that it was a major improvement.
Think of it as camping and you only have a tiny car to haul everything in. I bought a duffel bag for all the female friends that used to join me. Told them, "bring anything you want as long as it fit's in your bag". That is is also huge. Once they grasp that, things get easier.
When they realize that the other women doing the same thing are also going to wake up w/no curling iron etc. They learn the value of a hat They end up having more fun than ever imagined. Also worth something knowing they can be casual around you.
As already said, I plan everything ahead. Meals, booze etc. I have a 12V coffee pot and a collapsible 5 gl water jug that I also take along.
I take canned beer on the boat and smash the empties as this takes up 10% of the space (and way safer) than bottles.
In a small boat you also have to have a back up plan.
When Lake Erie boating we spent many a night in the cuddy w/the boat still on the trailer. If it's too cold, rough, raining what ever, go to plan B.
If you start out scaring her, getting her wet, cold etc you're pretty much screwed in a tiny boat. In that case we'd go bar hopping pulling the boat behind us. The key there is a bar w/a dark area of parking lot for sleeping and bonus points was having breakfast at same place.
Been more places, had more fun that way than most people in big boats have had. Key is, preparation and planning.
It takes a while to get it right but when you do, I've never had a companion complain or tell friends on bigger boats they wish they were them. Again, your goal is to show them things they've never done before and most people never see.
One plan for next weeks Keys trip is to explore the back water, uninhabited islands and find one to hang out on. Pretty sure you can do that, have 1/2 dozen friends/boats w/you and see no one else while there
Most of the people who say they don't like it or won't do it, never have

Pic bellow was as described above. We are heading to the Keys next week and will do all of above depending on weather/issues.

Spent many weekends in this 19 footer and been across Lake Erie in it many times.

Same with this one. Was 21' but tiny cabin compared to above 19'.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-08-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Registered

Hats off to you Sonic!
Yes Im limited on space...but the more I think about it, the more I realize I have more space than I was thinking...its all in how you utilize the space and not packing everything plus the kitchen sink (although the sink would be nice ) I dont have a dedicated portapotty....yet........ but it is in plans and a must have for over night trips (we use a fancy bucket for emergency peeing day trips LOL).
I know if i free up some space ex. remove extra life vests not needed, kids toys etc, I can free up some needed space.
Thanks for the insight and advice....
As for the original topic (dont want a bunch of peeps not to read on because we got a wee bit off topic HAHA ) If anyone who is in the up to 25'ish range interested in attempting some type of fund raiser / fun run in the future spring / summer months, post up! Obviously the more that show interest in this, the more likely it will be to happen. I may start a new thread just for people to post there interest or lack of it on this topic. Im located in the Tampa Bay area and I see alot of fun runs around but nothing for the smaller boat guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.