Best boating in Orlando Area?? >

Best boating in Orlando Area??

Notices

Best boating in Orlando Area??

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best boating in Orlando Area??

I live and boat in Atlanta but expect to spend about 3-6months in close distance to Davenport, FL (Disney Celebration area) to rent a place while my mothers starts hospice. Thinking to tow the boat down as a distraction.

Recommendations on lakes, etc? Don't really know the area that well. Boat is a 32' Sunsation MCOB. Considering the circumstances the boating needs to be within an hour or so from where i keep it which limits towing to the ocean, etc. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

You could store at a marina in Tampa and be there in an hour. I work in orl near where you will be. Get there in an hour and 30 from Sarasota. Lakes tend to be somewhat small for a boat your size in fl. I have heard of a few but never been. I left Lanier a few years.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

i live about 15 miles from there and i keep my boat in st. pete, slightly over an hour drive but the service is great and it works out very well for me. tampa would be around an hour or less drive. most of the lakes in the area are just too shallow and ramps are tough for a boat of that size. the bay would be your best bet.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spent over 3 months in Sebring.(hour south of Orl) Great local as we were 1.5hrs from either coast. The only lake I really liked was only 3-4 miles long. Lake June has clear water and white sand as well as a great sand bar hangout and miles of canals to cruise.

We went to several places along the Okeechobee waterway.

Hard to beat Sebastion area nearest you but it's salt water. Twin OB Sonic / Gary lives there. I'm most fond of Sarasota area too. We went all over south Fl and found this area very hard to beat.

I have a list with some photos from our trip on
http://www.30velocity.com/Florida2011.htm
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Underdog88
I just spent over 3 months in Sebring.(hour south of Orl) Great local as we were 1.5hrs from either coast. The only lake I really liked was only 3-4 miles long. Lake June has clear water and white sand as well as a great sand bar hangout and miles of canals to cruise.

We went to several places along the Okeechobee waterway.

Hard to beat Sebastion area nearest you but it's salt water. Twin OB Sonic / Gary lives there. I'm most fond of Sarasota area too. We went all over south Fl and found this area very hard to beat.

I have a list with some photos from our trip on
http://www.30velocity.com/Florida2011.htm
Hey underdog it was great to meet you at tarpon point. We were next to you. Nice velocity and what a great trip you made. Now you know why we moved here!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Hey underdog it was great to meet you at tarpon point. We were next to you. Nice velocity and what a great trip you made. Now you know why we moved here!
Great to meet you too What a great NYD huh?
You can confirm for Jason, sarasota is hard to beat. Only 90 mins for him. If not for a new grandson I'd still be there. My "smarter" sister still is for 35yrs now.

Use the local lakes near orlando like I did with Lake June. My nice little wash rack flush out go to spur of the moment place. Plan your big days for either coast.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the Lake Mary area? I seem to remember asn article somewhere about that.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out East Lake "Toho" Tohopekaliga in St. Cloud. It's a tiny little lake but it's plenty nice and they used to have APBA Offshore Races there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lake_Tohopekaliga

Also, if cost is not an object, they have a bunch of High&Dry marinas all over the Tampa bay area. It's about an hour from Orlando to Tampa, and maybe another 20 minutes to St. Pete. You call ahead and the boat's in the water by time you get there; when you return they yank the boat for you and you clean and flush on a work rack and then head home. The extra time in travel would be negated by the time you save not having to phuck around with busy launch ramps and trailering.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Great trip report !! thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Great trip report !! thanks
Thannks That was a quick short version leaving a lot of good stuff out. I should take the time to edit and improve before I forget. If it would ever snow up here... lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.