Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Is S Florida boating better on the east coast or the west coast. >

Is S Florida boating better on the east coast or the west coast.

Notices

Is S Florida boating better on the east coast or the west coast.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is S Florida boating better on the east coast or the west coast.

I was just looking for some opinions regarding S.Florida boating. From West Palm to Miami and from St. Petersburg to Marco Island. Which has more to offer ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boys Toys
I was just looking for some opinions regarding S.Florida boating. From West Palm to Miami and from St. Petersburg to Marco Island. Which has more to offer ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Depends on what you want to do. Generally speaking...East Coast water is warmer and clearer year round. Right now in early March our water temps are in the mid to high 70's which is about 10 deg higher than the west coast. We have the Bahamas at our back door which is a big plus in my opinion. The West Coast from Tampa south has more little bays and sand bars to play around on but the clarity of the water and water temperature restrict how much and how often you have access to it.

If you are comparing East Coast from Jupiter south...East Coast wins...no contest.

This is an aerial of North Palm Beach looking South

[IMG][/IMG]

From Jupiter north to Jacksonville it's a toss up.

Keep in mind...either coast is year round better than anywhere else in the country....of course I am prejudiced ...but I admit it.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

And I am biased to my side. We have the #1 beach in America! Siesta key. We can boat year round since we don't get the big stuff like they do over on the east. I agree about the Bahamas but key west isn't that far. Plus we have all the bays. Countless places to get lost. Also it is different from a people perspective. The easy coast is more city life. Attracts people from big cities. Over here its more from the mid west.
But the cool thing is we can head over there and they can visit here(;
And like it was said we pretty have no down time.

Last edited by GTOFFSHORE; 03-03-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Either way you can't go wrong as far as the boating scene. Hey, it's Florida.. It's the rest of the scene that you need to consider. Visit both sides and see what fits your needs. Overall I'd say East Side is more of a see and be seen party atmosphere, West side is a little more laid back but you can find both on both sides. Don't forget our unofficial motto is "Florida is a sunny place for shady people"
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Registered

Reminds me of the board of tourism ad from about 25 years ago.."When you've got it bad...we've got it good"

It's 63 miles from the ramp at Phil Foster park in North Palm Beach to Freeport/Lucaya and I can loaf and run over there in 2 hours. I have made that trip during every month of the year. We get offshore ocean swells at times during the winter...but I have been anchored out 1000 yards off the beach on Christmas day snorkeling on the reefs in 78 degree water with the seas 2' or less. The Gulf-stream current is at it's closest to Florida near the Port of Palm Beach...that's the biggest difference in the winter months and stabilizes the water and air temperature. We seldom see the water temperature less than 75 here...even in January.
If you want to see which coast has the warmer winters...look at the number of fruit bearing Coconut Palms....there are very few north of Naples.

I took this picture this past December at mid night in Boynton Beach...just north of Boca Raton.

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice how rough the ocean is in December
Come on down...

Last edited by sprink58; 03-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant beat the beaches on the west coast of florida, hands down the top 3 beaches on the country are on the west coast, Tampa area. More laid back over on this side.Love it over here great boating....
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boating37
You cant beat the beaches on the west coast of florida, hands down the top 3 beaches on the country are on the west coast, Tampa area. More laid back over on this side.Love it over here great boating....
I don't know...the beaches along the NW Coast from Pensacola to Panama City are the best in Florida...I think...but we cant take our boats to the beach anyway...

The beaches in the Bahamas are pretty good too.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

got to live it to know I guess...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
I don't know...the beaches along the NW Coast from Pensacola to Panama City are the best in Florida...I think...but we cant take our boats to the beach anyway...

The beaches in the Bahamas are pretty good too.
One more reason this side is better lol (; we can take out boats to the beach. We have boat beaches here. Lido beach right next to siesta. Eggmont, beer can and many more. If you get a chance check out siesta key I thought the #1 beach thing was a way to sell me a house but it truly is ranked that and once you go you will see why.
But again whichever coast we are boating while most of the others in here are beating ea other up on card shark or the checkmate thread(:
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've lived on both coasts, Daytona and St. Pete and I've been to virtually to every major destination city in FL.
I prefer the west coast over the east coast by far. I tend to think it's just better boating all around with much better intercoastals and bays, better accessibility, better beaches and more places to go by water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.