Destin Fl, crab island >

Destin Fl, crab island

Notices

Destin Fl, crab island

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destin Fl, crab island

Was talking with another OSO member about coming down to Destin FL, for a boating vacation sometime in April. I would have my truck trailer and boat. Can anyone recommend a launch facility, harbor for a slip, and storage for a truck and trailer. Also a place for lodging, with access to a beach and, restaurants? Would it be a worth while trip, I'd be coming down from Chicago IL for around 7-10 days.

Last edited by 86242ls; 01-08-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Sandpiper Cove has all of the above and is relatively inexpensive.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered

Water will be chilly in April.. lots of marine life that time of year as well....
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Registered

I'll look into it thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Was one of our best vacations hands down. I stored our boat on the trailer at Destin Marina right across from Crab Island. Locked gate and very secure. They had hoses and didn't care that i had to do an impromptu bearing and brake job. (i purchased the boat here and this was the only surprise) Whatever you do DON'T use the boat ramp their. It's sand and shaped like a bowl. It's part of the Jetty. Subsequently, 13mph cross current happens daily. NOT a pleasant surprise. Launch at Joe's Bayou right down the road. Great launch with hose access for the end of the day rinse (especially trailer) and flush-out. You'll probably beach your boat and party with tons of other great people at Norriego point. Google earth this.

Mid April nights can still get into the 50's but usually the day gets hot.

I say go for it. We made the tow to Milwaukee in 15.5 hrs. Cutting through Alabama was the worst part. Next time i probably will around through Mobile. Have fun! Andy
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Cool, I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what I come up with. It's been a dream of mine to do this at some point in my life.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Registered

I go down for a long trip with a few other boats every year for the Billy Bowlegs festival in Fort Walton. Awesome time I have many threads on it. June 1-9th this year me and 2-3 other boats will be there with a big house and doc.

We also take a Friends fountain with us in late summer for a beach trip as well.

Joe's Bayou is a nice ramp, for day trips, and low key. Highly suggested for that. But they are not a fan of over night parking. you have to work a deal for that.

There is a state park ramp, that just across the bridge that ok, for a smaller 25ish footer no problem, free.

Then in Fort Walton there is a good double ramp that we use most of the time. You can get a permit for over night parking at this one. its right beside the Ihop.

for places to check out by boat...

Crab Island is prettiest in the morning, as the fresh Gulf water is coming in the pass. The bay dark seaweed water will start to be sucked out around 2pm, all teh boats will swing the other way onthe anchor, and it willnot be pretty like before. here is a ok shot of mine, to give you an idea, the transom is in 4-5 foot of water here, front is 7-9 foot. still CLEAR

Same spot in the afternoon, not as good of pic but you can see the darker water color.

Doye Destins is a lunch spot, but kinda just bar food with some fish basically. right at Crab Island.. so that's easy.
Pic of it you can see the umbrellas from Crab Island

Harbor Docks... GREAT food, Breakfast is awesome(land or water but try it), and Dinner is great awesome as well. we always make sure to go there by boat. have done sunset ride back after dinner as well. docking is inside destin harbor, towards the back.

There is also inside Destin harbor, the Chains, AJs, Harrry Ts, Margarita-ville.. all that.
Harry T's, and a few others at the big hotel and board walk, Harrys is the far left under the light house.

Margaritaville, has the tiki roof upstarids, Ajs as well.

Across the bay is Fort Walton, with a some awesome Pizza for lunch or dinner at Hellen Back. (again car or boat)
There is a few other places to try in Fort Walton Fish lips closed, but may have a new name now, and there is a German? place before the bridge with umbrellas hats killer as well of breakfast i hear. have not made it to that one.

a really cool lunch run is, Navarre Beach. right as you come under the bridge (from the East, there is a marked channel, to the Tikki Hut, you can dock or beach right there and walk up and have awesome drinks, and lunch. A must as well. (this is about a 15-20 min ride form the Fort Walton Bridge, all in the inter-coastal water way)
Pic of me nosed up for some drinks and lunch

If you want to go further, Navarre is about 1/2 between Fort Walton, and Pensacola. so you can keep going, and in 30 min be there and Doc the boats at a few places, the board walk included for shopping and general bull ****ing round. you can Doc at Flounders and get some lunch or dinner, and there special drink Diesel Fuel. (giant Long island with a island twist.) A note in low tide the docs around Pensacola are shallow, all sand but you can suck it up if not careful, so watch your depth, and trim.

I have lots of other places we have been so if you looking for something ask, and I will be happy to help, or if you want a map link or something. I have also been over to the orange beach area as well and know some spots over that way. if you going for a far run.

Last edited by mittens; 01-10-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Where do you get a house and dock at?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Registered

Mittens, that is So Cool!!!! I really want to make this happen
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered

Those are sweet pics Mittens. How would a 25' do in those waters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.