Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Southeast US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us-243/)
-   -   Any Interest in a New Club (Tampa, St. Pete, Area) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/southeast-us/313112-any-interest-new-club-tampa-st-pete-area.html)

wingnit 06-01-2014 08:14 AM

Any Interest in a New Club (Tampa, St. Pete, Area)

Harley Eater and I are thinking about starting a local Club to bring some of the local boaters together for some short cruises, beach runs, lunch cruises, cook-outs, and charity events. A family type club. Bring the wife, kids, and the dog and lets have some fun.

I'm thinking Bay Area Offshore (BAO), but am open to suggestions as we roll it out. Is there any interest? It will take more than 2 of us to have a club. LOL

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Mark

deepv29 06-02-2014 12:25 PM

Great Idea! Unfortunately for me I haven't retired to Florida yet....just a couple years to go, Florida kicks #*% on California ocean destinations for boating. Your idea should continue. Maybe hit up a few of the Brand forums, Formula, Scarab, Cigarette, or whatever you see in Florida. Boating with passionate boaters is the way to go. You have support and always learn something from the others.

deepv29 06-02-2014 12:38 PM

How about S.T.O.P for St. pete Tampa Offshore Powerboating. You could use a powerboat breaking through a stopsign. With a safety message of STOP first, make safety checks, plan, etc. Just a thought.

tpabayflyer 06-17-2014 09:09 PM

Sounds like a great idea..... Me and my K9 crew are in!

wingnit 06-20-2014 06:36 AM

We are gathering some momentum now. There are now 4 of us with an interest to get a group together to discuss putting a club together locally. If anyone else is interested, PM me with your email address. I will be sending out an email to those that have shown interest by the end of the weekend.

To those that have already shown interest....Welcome Aboard! :lolhit:

Xtreme Air 06-21-2014 09:52 PM

Always looking for a group to run with in the St Pete/Tampa area.. Lunch runs or tie-ups are always fun..

H2oS 06-23-2014 10:14 PM

Jay Pilini at Pilini Marine in St Pete rounded up a pretty big group last year. We have an email list with I guess over 100 local boaters and a Facebook page with the name we voted on "Tampabay Powerboat Association". You all might want to reach out to Jay and get some events/runs together.

Figure easier to get a group going than try starting from scratch.

Xtreme Air 06-24-2014 08:48 PM

Lets get something together and do a lunch run or tie up.

wingnit 06-25-2014 06:20 AM

OK. I haven't gotten an email out to everyone that responded yet because I don't have everyone's email address.

H2OS.....Thanks for the info. It would be easier than starting from scratch. I will try to contact Jay. Is he a board member by chance?

wingnit 06-25-2014 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Xtreme Air (Post 4143134)
Lets get something together and do a lunch run or tie up.

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe a lunch run to Gators at John's Pass.

I am in the middle of rebuilding the raw water pumps for both motors and the trim cylinders on the port drive, so I'm not sure if I will be ready for Saturday or not. Hoping to be ready by Sunday. Let me know your thoughts. Worse case I can drive to Gators by car to meet for lunch. My family and I are looking forward to making new friends.

Xtreme Air 06-25-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by wingnit (Post 4143322)
Sounds like a great idea. Maybe a lunch run to Gators at John's Pass.

I am in the middle of rebuilding the raw water pumps for both motors and the trim cylinders on the port drive, so I'm not sure if I will be ready for Saturday or not. Hoping to be ready by Sunday. Let me know your thoughts. Worse case I can drive to Gators by car to meet for lunch. My family and I are looking forward to making new friends.

I am good for Sunday if that works for you.

wingnit 06-25-2014 06:23 PM

I'm thinking it will, but will update you on Saturday. As I said, I will be there even if it means I have to show up in my car. We will just need to arrange for a time to meet.

Others that are reading this post are welcome to join us at Gators on John's Pass. Please let us know if you are planning to meet with us so we know how large a table to get. :drink:

H2oS 06-27-2014 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by wingnit (Post 4143745)
I'm thinking it will, but will update you on Saturday. As I said, I will be there even if it means I have to show up in my car. We will just need to arrange for a time to meet.

Others that are reading this post are welcome to join us at Gators on John's Pass. Please let us know if you are planning to meet with us so we know how large a table to get. :drink:

Sorry been traveling this week, my email is [email protected]. I am boatless for the weekend but mine should be finished by next Wed. Boat races down in Sarasota Sunday of the 4th weekend.

Also poker run at the restaurant "Bearded Clam" in Sarasota this Saturday 10$ per hand. I am shooting for that and jumping on Dads 1996 336 Formula as its his birthday. Will be over 70 boats of all types.

Look forward to seeing you all out. I keep mine in Treasure Island.

wingnit 06-28-2014 08:30 AM

This will be the first of what I hope to be many opportunities to get together and get to know some of our fellow boaters and their families. The plan is to meet around 1PM on Sunday 6/29 (tomorrow). I’m shooting for 1PM to avoid the lunch rush.

If you can’t bring your boat, come in your land vehicle. All are welcome to attend. Bring the wife, SO, GF, kids, etc…..

I keep my rig at Lighthouse Point Marina near Bay Pines. I got the repairs (raw water pumps and port side trim cylinders) to my rig completed and plan to do a mid-morning shakedown cruise on the intracoastal and maybe a quick blast in the Gulf (if the Water Gods are smiling upon me) and then head to Gators for the lunch meet and greet at 1PM.

I have emailed a few of you whose contact info I have. For anyone else who would like to attend, please RSVP so we know how many we will need to seat. I hope to see y’all there.:D

Xtreme Air 06-29-2014 10:38 PM

Great Day meeting another performance boater. For those of you who missed it, please stay tuned for the next time we get together. Mark has some great ideas. Mark, Thanks for the run today.

wingnit 06-30-2014 06:28 AM

Always a pleasure to make new friends with the same interests. Next time we should plan an earlier start and cruise for a while. I'm also thinking we may want to consider a Saturday for the next outing. That might help to get some others out to join in.

Do you know if there are docking facilities over at O'Maddy's Bar and Grill in Gulfport? I believe that the yacht club is right there, but I'm not sure if there is any public access.

Nmbr1GMfan 06-30-2014 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Xtreme Air (Post 4145662)
Great Day meeting another performance boater. For those of you who missed it, please stay tuned for the next time we get together. Mark has some great ideas. Mark, Thanks for the run today.

Off topic but do you have a thread with pics of your Cig?

Xtreme Air 07-01-2014 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan (Post 4146257)

Sorry No Pictures posted but hopefully we will put a few up when we do some runs.

Xtreme Air 07-01-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by wingnit (Post 4145703)
Always a pleasure to make new friends with the same interests. Next time we should plan an earlier start and cruise for a while. I'm also thinking we may want to consider a Saturday for the next outing. That might help to get some others out to join in.

Do you know if there are docking facilities over at O'Maddy's Bar and Grill in Gulfport? I believe that the yacht club is right there, but I'm not sure if there is any public access.

O Maddy's does not have very good docks. water can get rough and they are stationary docks with out a lot of protection. I would consider Sea Hags or the Pub..

wingnit 07-02-2014 06:22 AM

Good info. This is one of the many reasons to get to know other boaters. I would have hated to motor all the way down there and find that out. Really a shame though. O'Maddy's has some good food and cold drinks. Guess that will have to be a 4 wheeler outing.

wingnit 07-12-2014 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan (Post 4146257)

After getting the permission of the owner, here is a pic of the 1984 Mistress owned by Xtreme Air. This picture does this boat no justice.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...s4d5719e6.jpeg

Nmbr1GMfan 07-12-2014 11:03 PM

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

wingnit 07-13-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan (Post 4152078)
Amazing, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. You will get an opportunity to see and hear this beauty in person if you're available. Xtreme Air and I are talking about doing a southbound cruise in the near future and I believe Anna Maria was one of the destinations, so we will be cruising right through your area. We will be posting info once we have firmed up the date.

Top Banana 07-13-2014 10:39 AM

I live in the Tampa area in the winter. Although my wife and I are planning a move to the east coast sometime in the future, I will throw my hat / or helmet into the ring for as long as we are on the west coast.

Good idea, sounds like fun and it seems that you are keeping it simple too. I like that.

We will be back by November for sure.

My email is [email protected]

Charlie

www.bananaboatco.com

www.historicraceboats.com

wingnit 07-13-2014 12:36 PM

I really am not interested in having to put a charter together and making rules and all the other crap that generally goes with a "Real Club". I just want to get some go fast boats and good people together to do some local cruising, island and sandbar hopping, lunch runs, tie-ups, and stuff along those lines. We can even meet up on shore for some boatless outings as Xtreme Air and our families did yesterday for lunch at O"Maddy's in Gulfport.

Nate5.0 08-06-2014 07:27 AM

I am pretty terrible about making g plans but if I see you all out I will come over and say hello.

We go to gators often with a small group of boats in the area. Always nice to meet a new face

kwiek2070 08-27-2014 02:10 PM

I have just recently joined but am very interested come Sept. I keep the boat in Buffalo/Lake Erie for the summer time. Winter time we come back down to Dunedin. I'm in for sure if you are all doing anything then. My wife and kid would love it.

wingnit 08-27-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by kwiek2070 (Post 4179030)
I have just recently joined but am very interested come Sept. I keep the boat in Buffalo/Lake Erie for the summer time. Winter time we come back down to Dunedin. I'm in for sure if you are all doing anything then. My wife and kid would love it.

Stay tuned. It has been very hot the last couple of weeks (95+), and honestly the heat just wears me out and makes boating a chore. As the temps cool down, we will become more active.

kwiek2070 08-28-2014 09:24 AM

Sounds great! We will look forward to it and meeting some new faces on the water. We'll enjoy the 80 degree temps for the next couple of weeks and hope it cools off when we come down.

Nate5.0 09-04-2014 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by wingnit (Post 4179171)
Stay tuned. It has been very hot the last couple of weeks (95+), and honestly the heat just wears me out and makes boating a chore. As the temps cool down, we will become more active.

Ya it was a hot s.o.b on Monday. The water felt amazing though it was a nice day all around.

Jamie77905 09-19-2014 08:19 PM

Hello guys. I just took a job in the Lakeland / Plant City area and will be moving down there next month. I was wondering about what areas to try and stay away from as I will have my wife and 4year old with me. Oh and of course what are the places to boat!!!!!!! I have a 32ft scarab and would also be looking for somewhere to store it it's on a trailer so no lift needed. Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

scarab_kid 09-22-2014 03:32 PM

Hi, my name is Pete and I am one of the founding members of the TampaBay PowerBoat Association. We've been a little absent this past year but I'm looking to get it restarted with everyone's help. Jay Pilini is really one of the main founding members but I know he's been pulled in many directions this year. We do have a Facebook page where we post things. Let's see if we can't kick this off the ground again and get a charter going. I know there are many people in the Tampa Bay area that would like to meet up.

Send me a reply and we can figure out day/time to meet.

Xtreme Air 09-22-2014 10:31 PM

Hi Pete,
I am sure that Mark and I would love to see something going in the Tampa St Pete area. Great water and Great weather. We are really just looking to boat to resturants or anchorages together n groups for some nice boating experiences. Feel Free to Reach out to me. I will PM a private # for you. Thanks for the interest.

Dean

Nate5.0 09-23-2014 03:27 PM

Post a link to the clubs FB page. That can always help some out I am sure.

scarab_kid 09-23-2014 03:47 PM

Good point. Here is the FB site https://www.facebook.com/TampaBayPowerboatAssociation

wingnit 09-23-2014 07:43 PM

Hey Dean,

Does your wife know about your Mistress? :drink:

Nate5.0 09-23-2014 08:08 PM

Made sure and liked the page.

I am sure we will all see each other in some way this weekend on the water.

Xtreme Air 09-23-2014 10:25 PM

She has known about my Mistress for some time now. LOL This Sundaysome people from Statement marine is running from John's pass to Clearwater to see the races. If interested give me a call.

wingnit 09-24-2014 06:20 AM

Let me check with the family.

Nate5.0 09-24-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Xtreme Air (Post 4192352)
She has known about my Mistress for some time now. LOL This Sundaysome people from Statement marine is running from John's pass to Clearwater to see the races. If interested give me a call.

I am with that group. John's pass at 10:30am.

Should be a great day on the water with great friends