Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
34PC to Fort Meyers Area, Where To Dock for Winter, Whats Area Like, Places To Go >

34PC to Fort Meyers Area, Where To Dock for Winter, Whats Area Like, Places To Go

Notices

34PC to Fort Meyers Area, Where To Dock for Winter, Whats Area Like, Places To Go

Old 11-04-2015, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check Shell Point. Yea, it's a retirement village and not sure how they would handle a non-resident but they have plenty of dock space. I go every year to visit relatives and security is always high so if you could get in, you wouldn't have to worry about things while gone. Easy access in/out and to Sanibel Island.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I will let you decide after you have been there. Loved Sanibel , We had the boat is a slip and rented a car. Drove to Sanibel. after the bridge there was at least 10 big signs about the rules and what you cant do. I looked at my wife, turned around and left. We have plenty of that here in Newport beach. Went back to the keys!. Next trip discovered Destin, the ditch and PCB. Not many signs bout what ya cant do. One local told me they love offshore powerboats, they know you're spending money! Loved it
Old 11-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I will let you decide after you have been there. Loved Sanibel , We had the boat is a slip and rented a car. Drove to Sanibel. after the bridge there was at least 10 big signs about the rules and what you cant do. I looked at my wife, turned around and left. We have plenty of that here in Newport beach. Went back to the keys!. Next trip discovered Destin, the ditch and PCB. Not many signs bout what ya cant do. One local told me they love offshore powerboats, they know you're spending money! Loved it
Yeah, signs like "Don't feed the Alligators" and "Don't Litter". All problematic. I wouldn't stay there either, lol....
Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like salty sams in ft meyers
Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

I purchased a villa in Ft. Myers (Summerlin/Cypress Lake area) this past May. So, this will be my first winter in Florida. I live in Michigan and own a 46' Black Thunder that I leave here. To get a little boating in while in Florida I joined the Freedom Boat Club which is kinda like a boating time share thing. All small boats --- 24' and less, center consoles, bow riders, pontoons, deck boats, etc, so, nothing like the boats you guys have. I've looked a lot at the Ft. Myers, Naples, Marco Island and then north to Clearwater charts. I know nothing about tides as I have always boated on the great lakes. The charts look like there is a lot of shallow water, shoals, etc.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but when I always thought of Florida I just thought of big deep open water. Doesn't look like the case. Any tips for a snow bird are appreciated. Thanks for the postings of places to go, some of them I have been to, but, it's a great list
Old 12-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Always stay in the marked channels. Plenty of shallow areas. If you must venture out of the channels do so at idle speed. Take your time and learn the area. These are the best tips I have.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Most of the marinas have "nav" maps for sale that have the buoys (they're numbered) to help keep you in the channel, plus the map we bought the first year we bought a Winter place down here has the local bars/restaurants on it, that's tons helpful.

I think West Marina's down here has the maps, if I remember right there $30 bucks, we've been down here for the last 4 Winters and have never had a bug problem or brown water, no it's not the caribbean, but it's a nice second.

We go to Rumrunners and Fathoms in the Cape a lot, it's real close to home................. have fun.

Last edited by 314joey; 12-17-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewy
I purchased a villa in Ft. Myers (Summerlin/Cypress Lake area) this past May. So, this will be my first winter in Florida. I live in Michigan and own a 46' Black Thunder that I leave here. To get a little boating in while in Florida I joined the Freedom Boat Club which is kinda like a boating time share thing. All small boats --- 24' and less, center consoles, bow riders, pontoons, deck boats, etc, so, nothing like the boats you guys have. I've looked a lot at the Ft. Myers, Naples, Marco Island and then north to Clearwater charts. I know nothing about tides as I have always boated on the great lakes. The charts look like there is a lot of shallow water, shoals, etc.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but when I always thought of Florida I just thought of big deep open water. Doesn't look like the case. Any tips for a snow bird are appreciated. Thanks for the postings of places to go, some of them I have been to, but, it's a great list
Thankfully it's mostly sand. Doesn't mess anything up to bad.