Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
House Hunting in Florida! >

House Hunting in Florida!

Notices

House Hunting in Florida!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I can understand that but you may want to look south of Lakeland. There is cheap land and then you have both coasts that you could go to. I mean not for me but somewhere like Bartow FL. Easy drive to either side, and not to bad if you want to hit the keys.

Look at a map see what you think.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip Wildman, I'll check it out.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I guess we picked the wrong weekend to go to Florida!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Footprint
I guess we picked the wrong weekend to go to Florida!
Nah....just a little rain and wind!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ok, so we landed in Orlando, drove I-4 to Daytona beach, up the coast to St. Augustine, across the St. Johns river through glen cove, up around Jacksonville, out I-10 to Panama City Beach and all the way back down 75 into Tampa. Panama City, like Destin has AMAZING beaches, but all of the places we were looking at were pretty ghetto.
Starting to think maybe something farther south is what we want. Maybe Tampa area, or Ft. Myers-Cape Coral. Where can you get a house on a large enough lot to build a big man barn, but still be waterfront and under 300,000 and feel safe and secure?
Heading back to Colorado now, and need some input on where to look next.
We are 38/46 don't need the downtown clubbin scene, but do like to boat with other people and go to decent restaurants on occasion. love to hang at the beach etc...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Footprint
Any areas to stay away from.
Thanks
Florida

Spoken from a 35 yr. resident. Nothing but mad, irritable, entitled, show off's here. The closer you get to south beach the more entitled they feel. As soon as I north of the GA line people actually give a damn about others and will say good morning, hold a door, or thank you for holding a door; forget that in the Dumbshine state. Good luck with your move !
Old 09-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The crappiest part of this whole thing is the fact that we are self employed, and buy and sell anything for a living. We can go anywhere we want to once the little princess graduates high school. So trying to find the perfect place to live among so many great areas is overwhelming. Being born and raised in Seattle, I really miss the water and trees. Living in Colorado for the last 20 something years, I really miss the water and I'm getting sick of winter. That is why Florida sounded so appealing. Anything east of Colorado is going to be muggy and buggy, so might as well live by the beach right?
The problem is that we are kind of Jeckyll and Hyde when it comes to our lifestyle........one part of us loves the flashy ritzy lifestyle, and the other half would be at home on 40 acres in the woods with 4 wheelers and guns. The wife is not hard to look at and her new car is a 2003 996tt and I want to make sure we are not somewhere that I have to worry about her safety. I can handle myself and get along with just about anyone. Where would you look?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We live in St Cloud, just southeast of Orlando, and far enough east to be out of the Disney tourist crap. Waterfront for under $300k and large enough lot for a nice garage/man cave will be difficult though. However, we have several areas that have 5+ acre tracts, with modest homes or land only that would fit in that budget. We're far enough out of Orlando, but not too far from necessity. I'm 45 minutes to the intercoastal in Melbourne and about an hour and a half to the west coast in Tampa. We frequent both sides, along with going out on our lakes. We live on a chain of 6 lakes, and mix it up depending on the weekend. We boat almost all year, but usually do the dirt bike / 4-wheeler deal from Jan-March. We are 15 minutes from a private 10,000 acre riding area too.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Ziemer, exactly the type of input I was looking for.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

All of Florida is a Ghetto, with the lower East Coast being the Hood.

I am looking at just the opposite after 30 years in Florida.

Burned out on the long humid summers ,We started in the 90s around April 1st and it doesn't cool down till the 1st Cold front about Nov 1st . Just when the weather cools down and gets nice the tourist traffic becomes unbelievable..

I am thinking maybe Nevada , Close enough to California to bounce in and out of and visit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.