Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Million Dollar Point - Lanier !!!!!!!!!!! >

Million Dollar Point - Lanier !!!!!!!!!!!

Notices

Million Dollar Point - Lanier !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't listen to this guy, he knows nothing, LMAO
Originally Posted by Out There
With the no wake buoys running along through that area, they actually bring a false sense of security. You would think a shoal would be marked.
One of the highest traffic areas on the lake. Good luck with your talks with the Corps.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say I have a garmin with the bluechart g2 card for inland lakes and i really like it.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Out There
With the no wake buoys running along through that area, they actually bring a false sense of security. You would think a shoal would be marked.
One of the highest traffic areas on the lake. Good luck with your talks with the Corps.

I agree it gives a false sense of security or that there is no threat. It is unfortunate for me but I'll try to make the best of all this for other boaters getting this marked. I think the high traffic legitimizes a solution there. COE called this a.m. but I didn't catch the call. The message stated that we will talk later today.
Thanks for the well wishes.

Last edited by aquaforce; 11-29-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotstreetracin
Hate to hear about that, I would suggest getting a good chart plotter and set a 10' keel offset, but as far as the makers I would guess it's not marked because it(the marker) would be a Hazzard when the lake is full.
I have the Garmin 182 now and have been looking at the Map 741. This incident and advice I get will make me look closer at features to see if this one is enough too.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
The lake is only 10 feet down right now. Thats nothing for Lanier. It sounds counter intuitive but you can go up in the winter when you have a 60 degree day. You cruise around when the lake is low and learn where a lot of the shoals and sand bars are for the summer time. We use to go out when its 60-65 degrees and just idle around, you learn a lot about the lake. Its too cold to go anything above plane but great to have a Saturday on the lake with a nice lunch on the boat and chill, maybe a drink. Been out on Christmas and New Years a zillion times.
Yes, we love getting out on a sunny day and just bask in the serenity of the lake life even when it is winter or cool. If someone is cold there is the cabin and heater so they can warm up there. This Thanksgiving was excellent for such an occasion. We blasted out with the hammer down and came back at just over idle for the great leisure on the water. Sucks that there is more risk at the slower speeds because that is when we hit.
Transducers at the front of the engine bay are still to far rearward for the best protection on this boat over 40'. I don't know what kind of a system would change much of that.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Talked to CoE today and there are a few things going on now that will take some time and follow up to complete. This peak is known but my solution idea of putting the no wake marker on the peak has some filter of regs to pass and some leg work on my part with the marinas. CoE informed me of some dept cut backs in 2013 that shifted the wake markers on to marinas. Some interesting changes there and more caveats for things like this to fall through the cracks. Learning this will help me leverage solutions in this location. I have a goal of this spot in such a high traffic area of getting all the help that a boater needs to stay safe.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Port Royal Marina near Browns Bridge has a pretty good size reef also in the no wake zone just north of the southern entrance to the marina. When the water is clear I will cruise over it on the waverunner and see the prop marks cutting across it. At 10 feet down that is a problem for the big V boats like yours.
I was out on the lake in 2007 when it was 20' down and the massive stumps just below the surface were quite an eye opener. The fishermen did a pretty good job of marking them but all were beat up by props or drives.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

I cant speak for other corp lakes or all parts of lake Hartwell. My little section of lake I know like the back of my hand. There are 3 shoals that become a hazard when the lake is down 8 feet. 2 of these shoals are just off the main channel the other is in a creek marked with the red/white buoys. Every time Hartwell gets down to that level the corp puts out big red buoy markers. They look very similar to a mooring buoy. In a section of lake that is obviously a high traffic area this seems like a simple solution. Once you get off the main channel deep in coves I get your on your own. But this seems very different. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 AM
2jz
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im sorry to hear this happened. Let me know if you need a hand with anything i can swing by. Also i can have my propeller guy look at props and use my discount if repairable.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2jz
Im sorry to hear this happened. Let me know if you need a hand with anything i can swing by. Also i can have my propeller guy look at props and use my discount if repairable.

Thanks for the offer. It made me sick to look at the damage so I haven't taken anything apart yet. I need to check the shafts and props and I can see one blade bent for sure plus gouges and deep cuts. I'll let you know on the props.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.