East coast to Bahamas >

East coast to Bahamas

Notices

East coast to Bahamas

Old 04-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default East coast to Bahamas

Start out I have a 22ft 1995 proline cuddy with a oceanpro 150 hp on a transom bracket. Yes a single engine. I'm a very experienced boater but not for my trip I'm posting on this thread. Maintenance is perfect all around and I use a Garmin 94sv plus compass and maps.

My question is how would a Bahamas trip be with my rig? My boating experience has always been the chespeake bay and the gulf of Mexico (10 years Navy). I'm not stupid I know a twin engine is safe but I'm in my financials means. I have vhf and epirb. I'll store enough food and water for about 1-2 weeks.

Need some no bs opinions from boaters very experienced with this trip. Ive had coast guard guys tell me my boat will be fine along with proline corporate staff. However some crab captains told me I'm bat **** crazy not to be on a 32 + with twins. So many mixed reviews.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People make the crossing to Bimini on jetskis. So yes its highly possible to make that trip. However you need a few things to go 100% perfect in order to make it work.

1) you can have no breakage with your single engine boat
2)You are going to have to wait until the weather and tidal conditions are right

As far as bat sh*t crazy, I wouldn't say that you are that. However it isn't the most ideal boat for a big open water crossing.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The biggest thing you have to pay attention to aside from maintenance, is the weather; specifically the jet stream position. Summer time is the ideal time to make this crossing because that's when the jet-stream is further north making the Atlantic a bit smoother on average.

Don't be rushed by time on either direction of the crossing, so you can pick your best day to go; and you should be fine.
I would never do it in that small of a boat, nor single engine.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As Sydwayz said summer time the water lay's down and is the best time to go for a smaller boat , I would also recommend visiting thehulltruth.com more of a fishing site but a ton of locals that make the crossing all the time , Also they go in groups , people will post " example " " leaving July 4th Saturday morning 6am at palm beach inlet " ect, " and quite a few boat's will show up for the crossing to different island in the Bahamas .

good luck
mike
Old 04-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the responses. For sure going to look for a group on the hull truth. Going from Crystal River to the Dunedin islands like caladesi and anclote is a lot less stress. Mechanic issues you can throw an anchor and stay put. The depth and current wind etc not being able to tie the boat down is nerve racking. Again thanks gents. I might attempt with a group this summer.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Registered

Find my post in the Bahamas section for details...made the cross in a 40ft Formula and then again on 2 SeeDoo jetskis. Yes, weather/seas probably the most critical thing to watch