Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Boating in the Panhandle >

Boating in the Panhandle

Notices

Boating in the Panhandle

Old 10-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Just got back from Destin and the 30A for 10 days. No boat, just a pontoon rental to crab island and the east inlet. Have been doing homework, looking at charts, google earth and getting some pretty good ideas via youtube. Selection of a marina is essential IMO with respect to the time it takes to get to a destianationl It difficult to tell but with most boaters in this area chasing the fish it not the norm to explore some of these beaches and bays in remote spots like St. Joseph Bay or around the southern most tip of St Joe to St. Vincent Island. Scallop season is about 45 days long inside the bay and it ended late August I believe. Basically your on your own b/c paddle boards, swallow draft boats and kayaks from the State Park are more popular. You really need to pay attention to where your at in St. Joe bay and weather will be a critical factor as always as it appears you have to run out into the Gulf from St. Joe Bay to Panama City which is near 35 miles. In a sloppy sea your talking a few hours travel time just to get inside the inlet. With respect to Crab Island it's cool but found it more enjoyable beaching along the west side of the inlet and south of the Destin Bridge. Hope other contribute.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get In And out of St Joseph Bay via inter coastal canal near Highland View.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Have been to emerald coast poker run twice, The area from Destin to Pensacola is pretty easy to navigate. There is only one spot towards Navarre that gets wide and you have to go towards the gulf side to find the markers again. Other that little thing it's a awesome place to boat with very little no wake zones. The only no wake is by the 98 bridge around the emerald grand hotel area and were you go under 98 in ft walton beach
Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zach F100

You can get In And out of St Joseph Bay via inter coastal canal near Highland View.
I had not even seen that yet. This is part of the GICW system (assumed) Any navigation issues your aware of, debris,shallows.......... I would assume this is of similar width to the cut that runs from West Bay to Choctawhatcee Bay ???
Old 11-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Registered

For Ref only, the chart of thie GICW between the bays. I believe this is the "Ditch" and from what I understand you can blow through this section at a good clip, nice width and some areas to beach a boat.

Last edited by tlark; 11-06-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Man o Man...I am going to have to raft up with you guys! You are doing the exact kind of exploring/cruising my wife and I are going to try in a Formula 311.
Ps-Sach F100 I have a Pantera too (although its got 4 wheels and a 351 Cleveland)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:39 AM
Registered

The “ditches” are all similar in width and depth. No problem areas that I was aware of when I explored the area. I ran 50-60 all the way through there.

I wouldnt try try to beach the boat and hang out in the ditch. There are plenty of better spots for things like that.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 AM
Registered

Sadly, i sold my Pantera at the end of this summer.
I have a family now and need to look into the future. So now I’m doing a bunch of home renovations. Room edition, HVAC upgrades... You know, grown up stuff.
I will get another 24x7 eventually. I just need to button up some projects that are hanging out first.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zach F100
Sadly, i sold my Pantera at the end of this summer.
I have a family now and need to look into the future. So now I’m doing a bunch of home renovations. Room edition, HVAC upgrades... You know, grown up stuff.
I will get another 24x7 eventually. I just need to button up some projects that are hanging out first.
That is 100% correct/responsible! You'll get back to boating...its taken me almost 30 years.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Registered

Perdido Hillbillies...From the foothills of North Carolina, in the shadows of Andy Griffith and Jed Clampett…(see attached)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.