Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Spectre
what props work best on the 36 hulls? >

what props work best on the 36 hulls?

Notices

what props work best on the 36 hulls?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default what props work best on the 36 hulls?

curious what others are running for props. more interested in what brand. 4 blade or 5 blade.
Obviously what pitch will be determined by power you have.

what else have you tried ? what results did you see?

I think I know which props I want to try next but thought Id see what others are running with good results.

So far Ive only tried 5 blade Maximus and 4 blade Bravos
To me the 5 blades seemed to carry the attitude of the boat better.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Airking
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is some info on what I have been through so far prop and lower unit testing on my Spectre.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-lost-mph.html
Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered

lots of info in that thread. Did you end up adding the ballast weight back in?

Im also curious if anyone has done back to back testing with Herrings vs others.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Airking
VIP Member

Yes I put the 150# of ballast back in the boat. 75# of lead shot sewed into canvas bags in bow of each sponson. I have also repowered the boat with 600SCI's Ballast helps the boat come out of the porpoise sooner and settle down. Might help a little in getting on plane too.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boater8987
Yes I put the 150# of ballast back in the boat. 75# of lead shot sewed into canvas bags in bow of each sponson. I have also repowered the boat with 600SCI's Ballast helps the boat come out of the porpoise sooner and settle down. Might help a little in getting on plane too.
I have the 625 Ilmor package and mine seems to get on plane just fine, its also several hunded pounds lighter in the rear. My midrange porposie is very minimal, and the boat seems to settle around 80mph. Im just trying to find the best props for top end and not give up the midrange acceleration I have now.
I may try to play around with the counter weight and see if it makes a noticeable difference.

My 5 blades seemed to fly the boat better than the 4 blades, but the 4 blades offered a higher top end number.
have you ever tried a Maximus vs a Herring to see the differences of the two?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Airking
VIP Member

It sounds like you don't really need the ballast now. I dont think the 36 really needs it. Just helps my paticular setup. And thats how Dave at MDG had rigged the boat it was his dealer boat. I can get the boat up on plane no problem once you learn the procedure. I have not tried any 5 blades or herings. I am satisfied with the performance and handling as is. This is what it run last time out with the 600 SCI's on the rev limiters with 1.35 ratio sportmasters and box stock 36p bravo 4 blades. I have just put stage 3 whipple upgrade and changed gear ratio to 1.26 to get it off the rev limiter and run faster with the stage 3. The 600's have way more mid range and quicker to wfo than the 575's.I did not run it yet, boat is now winterized and I am looking forward to spring to see what it will do.
Attached Thumbnails what props work best on the 36 hulls?-gps-600sci.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boater8987
It sounds like you don't really need the ballast now. I dont think the 36 really needs it. Just helps my paticular setup. And thats how Dave at MDG had rigged the boat it was his dealer boat. I can get the boat up on plane no problem once you learn the procedure. I have not tried any 5 blades or herings. I am satisfied with the performance and handling as is. This is what it run last time out with the 600 SCI's on the rev limiters with 1.35 ratio sportmasters and box stock 36p bravo 4 blades. I have just put stage 3 whipple upgrade and changed gear ratio to 1.26 to get it off the rev limiter and run faster with the stage 3. The 600's have way more mid range and quicker to wfo than the 575's.I did not run it yet, boat is now winterized and I am looking forward to spring to see what it will do.
sounds like its gonna run very well for ya. I may see if I can drum up a set of 36 4 blades to try out. thats a very respectable number outta the boat. Not sue my 625's will spin em high enough, but worth a shot.