replacing hydraulic steering hose on spectre 30 >

replacing hydraulic steering hose on spectre 30

Notices

replacing hydraulic steering hose on spectre 30

Old 10-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing hydraulic steering hose on spectre 30

Looking at replacing a worn hydraulic hose that goes from the transom to the ram on my 2000 30 spectre w twin 300xs. I dont see any place to bleed this system. It has marine machine rams, and a teleflex capilano helm. The helm of course is under the dash, and there is no port above it to service it. I'm sure I can get my hands on a power bleeder. Could I just take off old hose, put new one on and power bleed it from that site, or do I have to create access to the vent at the helm?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about others but this is what worked for me. When you put on the new hose...fill it up with fluid before you connect the other end. After connecting the hose, turn the steering all the way one side and crack 1 line on the side that you installed the new hose. Turn the steering all the way one side and back and then tighten the line. Then go to the other line and do the same thing. Make sure that when you are doing this you keep the reservoir full. You might have to do it 3 or 4 times until it gets all of the air out. Thats what worked for me.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There should be a fitting on the dash to fill the helm with. We would put a bucket on the dash with steering fluid in it the helm will pull the fluid in as it needs it when you bleed the system. Once you replace the hose there is a process for bleeding that is pretty simple but you will need two people
Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Registered

Thanks. I had looked, but didnt see it. I'm not sure why they put it way over on the starboard dash, when the helm is port. Any idea what the threads are on the fitting?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Registered

Just to add, if anyone ever needs for reference, the fittings are aeroquip 401-6B (It's a 45 degree SAE flare) and hose is 2651-6.