Notices

Sunsation

Old 03-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunsation

First of all I have to take my hat off to Sunsation boats. They built excellent boats and from they way most OSO'ers speak the customer service is excellent. My question concerns the 28' Intimidator. I love the 28' and have looked at a few 1999-2001 boats over the last 2 years. The pricing on these model years seem to be awfully high. Most of the boats I have seen have 454 or 502 mags, nothing special. If you check the NADA value many of the boats, some are as much as $10 grand over book. I know the NADA book is not the best tool for pricing boats, but thats what the bank uses to determine how much they can loan you on the boat. I guess my questions is are the boats overpriced? Is the NADA book out of whack? What are you thoughts? What is a clean 199-2001 lower hr 28' Sun worth? I am not bashing Sunsation, or any owners or sellers, I would just like some answers so many someday I can own a 28'.

Thanks for the replies,

Last edited by Magic Medicine; 03-28-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sunsation

I noticed the same thing when I was shopping for a sunsation. Some of the custom boats listed in Nada do seem a bit low. But these are the values the bank use therefore if your a BUYER I would use them also. IMO You need to add for options, paint (if you like it ) adjust for hours on engine to rebuild and add for a trailer. If you make offers you should be able to get one for average retail. Low retail seems way to low if the boats in good shape. Good Luck

Last edited by beachbob; 03-28-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

Hey Magic, good question. I ask myself the same questions before I bough my 2001 288. I researched the boats for one or 2 years before buying one. I came from a smaller and old boat but it was a Formula. Formula is a very solid built boat with great fit and finish. Nothing about Formula is second class. That is what I found with Sunsation. Plus they made exactly what I was looking for: a 28 to 29 footer, big cudy, good speed, single engine. Mitcher T graphics are just plain BAD A$$!

I just looked up my boat as equipped to date and average retail without a trailer is $52K and I would not sell it for less than $55K. I believe there are many extras most Sunsation owners add to their boats later that NADA does not ask or provide value. I know you never get your money back for adding aftermarket stuff but lets face it, most additions are what make your boat yours and others want the same items.

All of your successful boat builders are nothing but passionate about what they do. That goes for any successful business. If you could meet Wayne, Joe, Dave and the guys, listen to their story and history you would be as convinced as I am about your decision to own one of these boats. Then, talk to other owners, look at their boats, look at the people who buy these boats and you will see. The typical Sunsation buyer is more inclined to really take care of it. Therefore, they will bring a premium. Now there are deals out there to be had on these boats. If I lost my job tomorrow you bet I would take less.

Now this is just my 02 but I'm sure others will offer their opinion too.

Now onto another topic. Congrats on your new Checkmate. Friends of mine just bought you Nordic last month. When I saw it in the Nordic section I knew it would not last long but I was shocked when somebody got money out of those guys wallets! Ha, ha.

If you are ever in Nashville Tennessee let us know and I will take you for a ride.

Rob
Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

They had a few sales around those years where you could get a new one for around 69K..... so a 5 year old or so boat in good condition depending on the options, I would think should go for somewhere in the 40's or low 50's???

Last edited by Chris288; 03-29-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered

Liquidsation,

As you know I have obviously owned 2 28' performance singles. I loved my Nordic, it has very sleek lines. I really like the Checkmate, especially the 500 efi. I prrfer the looks of the 28' Sunsations, probably my favorite single engine boat that is still manufactured today. I am turned off by windshields and I love the race fairings on the Suns. I can see the 01 boats bringing 50-55k but most are not priced that way. If I could have found a 99 or 00 in my range I would have jumped. I am just not the type of guy to insult someone with an offer even if they are way over priced. Thanks for the offer on the ride, if I ever make it down there I will take that ride.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys keepem coming!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered

I understand not offering if they are way over priced. You have to start somewhere though. As far as the looks, you can get a 1997 model 288 and there is no difference. Go to Sunsation's website, there is one for sale right now!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Liquidsation
I understand not offering if they are way over priced. You have to start somewhere though. As far as the looks, you can get a 1997 model 288 and there is no difference. Go to Sunsation's website, there is one for sale right now!

I saw that boat, I am always on the prowl. It must be a sickness. No disrect to anyone, I really like that boat but $47,500 yeah right.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

I agree, a 9 year old boat that probably cost between 60 and 70K new for 47,500 ??
Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

a couple of years ago when I was looking I found a 2001 w/ 454 mpi for 45K... so there are deals...

Quick Reply: Sunsation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.