32 DOM MCOB vs 29 Shockwave MCOB >

32 DOM MCOB vs 29 Shockwave MCOB

Notices

32 DOM MCOB vs 29 Shockwave MCOB

Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 32 DOM MCOB vs 29 Shockwave MCOB

I would like the opinion from both sides on this issue. I am looking at buying a MCOB, for all around efficiency a MCOB would fit my family's needs perfectly. I would love to have a 32 Dominator MCOB, I live on a lake in Texas, don't really need the size of a 32, however, there is a good chance I'll be moving to VA and would like the bigger boat just in case. The price is the issue, the Sunny is $35k more, granted I'm getting a bigger boat, great rep for Sunsation but 35k in these times is a good chunk.

The Shockwave is a 29, with a 525efi, heard good things about them, but not sure the boat would be a good fit if I move.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
I would like the opinion from both sides on this issue. I am looking at buying a MCOB, for all around efficiency a MCOB would fit my family's needs perfectly. I would love to have a 32 Dominator MCOB, I live on a lake in Texas, don't really need the size of a 32, however, there is a good chance I'll be moving to VA and would like the bigger boat just in case. The price is the issue, the Sunny is $35k more, granted I'm getting a bigger boat, great rep for Sunsation but 35k in these times is a good chunk.

The Shockwave is a 29, with a 525efi, heard good things about them, but not sure the boat would be a good fit if I move.

Bert

I know ZERO about the Shockwave but from all of the other MCOB's I have seen Sunsation is the only one that has got it right. Call the factory (810)794-4888 and ask for Joe (one of the owners). If you have the hull ID# he will pull the file and discuss the boat with you in depth. You will definitely be impressed. Then repeat this with the Shockwave factory, I suspect you will then buy the Sunsation.........

The 32 VS. 29 argument can also be settled by buying a Sunsation 288 MCOB w/525. The 288/496 HO is much more common but there are a few 525 boats out there. Check out www.sunsationboats.com and you will find a few boats for sale, including Kevin's 08 with a brand new Raylar'd 496 HO punched out to 700 HP. Kevin broke his back so he hasn't even turned the key on the new motor yet and it is warranted for a year from Raylar!

Good Luck.......
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Registered

Well the prices of the 288 w/525 is about the same as the 32 I'm looking at, some Shockwave owners I've talked to said there boat does decent in the rough, but not sure they know the difference between what they consider decent and how Sunsations run.

My kids have been bugging me for a MCOB, I can get the Shockwave now, but it will be a while to save enough cash for the 32. I'm well aware of the customer service for SS, they've researched a few boats for me in the past, they're 2nd to none in industry.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

you can't beat the service of joe and the sunsation team up there. I have been in contact with joe twice and it was minutes, not hours or days and he was right back in touch with me with answers and solutions. I can also attest to Mither T who paints most of the boats...top notch and willing to answer any questions...good people attract good people IMO.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Registered

Does the shockwave have twins?? Pretty big step from the 29 to the 32...if you think you will have the use for the 32 in the future then it is probably worth the extra money!! Anyone with a 28/29 foot boat will tell you that when you get into any decent size water, the 3-4 feet makes a huge difference!!
If speed is a factor, looking at some of the tests, the Sunny is definately gonna top your list!!!!
Good luck with your decision....I can assure you that you will not be disappointed if you go with the Sunny!!!

Last edited by Bo-G13; 06-24-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

I have been in a 288 MCOB and from the fairing back to the transom they are identical to my 32. The extra 3 feet (28.8 vs. 31.7) is in the cabin and bow area. I have an 04 32 w/6.2's that runs about 1-2 MPH faster than a 288 w/496 HO. Boat is great for kids, the mid-cabin is ideal in a no wake zone or slow cruise to get the kids out of sun. The breeze crossing through there is priceless on a hot day!

This is my 32 heading to the Bahamas on a very rough day: http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/d...781&fullsize=1

I was the 3rd boat of 12 to get there despite being the smallest boat w/the smallest power! Look at some of the other boats in the gallery to get an idea of how rough it was crossing. Boat has been great, I have had it 5 1/2 years now. Easy enough to tow, launch solo.
My boat was actually on the cover of HotBoat in Mar. 04:
http://www.sunsationboats.com/articles/hotboat0304.pdf
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
My boat was actually on the cover of HotBoat in Mar. 04:
http://www.sunsationboats.com/articles/hotboat0304.pdf
Nuttin like rippin across the water in the front of an open bow with no life vests!!!! Gotta love these magazines!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered

There is a 2005 Sunsation 32 MCOB on Ebay at what seems a very good price.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indiana Rage
There is a 2005 Sunsation 32 MCOB on Ebay at what seems a very good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...37643417#v4-35

I have the boat picked out, not much more than the one above, what's strange on that ad above is that the owner replaced a lot of things that normally wouldn't need replacing. The boat has 390hrs, the one I'm looking at has 95. My problem is a tow vehicle, my cash for the down payment for the boat is needed for a damn truck to pull it! It would have been a done deal if it was not for that.

I think I'm 99% sure of the Sunny, the most convincing argument is that I won't need another boat for a long time. If I buy the Shockwave and it doesn't perform I'm stuck selling it. I LOVE my PQ260, does everything good, not great, and it handles the slop really well for a 26' boat, but I always have too many kids on the boat and it's just not right for me right now.

I got pre-approved at 6.39% which I think is a decent deal, again it's the damn cash up front.

thanx for the replies!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...37643417#v4-35

I have the boat picked out, not much more than the one above, what's strange on that ad above is that the owner replaced a lot of things that normally wouldn't need replacing. The boat has 390hrs, the one I'm looking at has 95. My problem is a tow vehicle, my cash for the down payment for the boat is needed for a damn truck to pull it! It would have been a done deal if it was not for that.

I think I'm 99% sure of the Sunny, the most convincing argument is that I won't need another boat for a long time. If I buy the Shockwave and it doesn't perform I'm stuck selling it. I LOVE my PQ260, does everything good, not great, and it handles the slop really well for a 26' boat, but I always have too many kids on the boat and it's just not right for me right now.

I got pre-approved at 6.39% which I think is a decent deal, again it's the damn cash up front.

thanx for the replies!
That stuff he replaced wasn't voluntary it was rotted due to salt water boating.......That non step boat won't run 86-88 either with 496's. The new twin step ones won't tap 88!
I hate the windshield look as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.