1000 Islands?

Notices

1000 Islands?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1000 Islands?

Hey Guys

I was at the 1000 Islands Run this weekend [as usual] and was really, REALLY, impressed with looks and rigging of Sunsation boats! Sure, the F-4 was a nice piece [with a price tag to match] but, I have to say I was really impressed with the smaller "SSR" boat, there where 2 there, one was powered by a single 700SCI it looked to be around 29ft? Right beside it was about a 32ft SSR [I think] powered by a pair of 496 HO's

I have had a boat at the cottage my entire life [42years] but, last year, I bought my first "real" boat, ok, its not much compared to the stuff on here [24ft Baja, 454EFI/B1] but, I really enjoy it.

I had considered moving up to a 29ft Outlaw since I really haven't had anything "bad" happen with the little baja, but, I really think I would like to have a look at a Sunsation instead. I realize its kind of a "apples vs Oranges" thing, and the price will reflect it, but, if you current owners can chime in with any advice, opinions, or experience [good or bad] I would really appreciate it. Better yet, if anyone is near the 1000 Islands area, I would love to have a look at a Sunsation sometime. NOT LOOKING for a "joy ride" or anything, just some input. So, feel free to post here, or PM me or Email, Thanks guys! Look forward to hearing from guys who have owned one [or more] boats!

Thanks!
Michael
Old 08-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat with the 700 in it should be a 288. One of my best friends has an '05 288 stepped hull and it is a very nice boat, I have another friend with an '01 straight hull 288. Like you said the fit an finsih is very good for the money. I get to drive the 05 all the time and it is really nice.

I would think a newer stepped hull 288 with a 700 SCI in it would be really fun.

There are a few nice used 32 Dominators out there that can be had reasonably, I would prefer that over a 29 Outlaw for a twin config and I would probably take a 288 in a single engine config over a 29 outlaw single engine.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, the 700SCi in a 28ft boat would be a handfull. I think my next boat will definately be "twins", and I have heard good things about the "stepped hulls" once you get used to them. My little Baja is definately "conservative" it has a a really low X dimension and no steps, so, whatever I move up to will be a big difference in performance, appreciate the input, and keep it coming!

Thanks!
Michael