Battery Charger ?

Notices

Battery Charger ?

Old 05-15-2002, 04:44 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Charger ?

Who has a factory installed battery charger in their boat. Where is the plug. Is it tied into the shorepower somehow? I know I should be able to figure this out but I need some help. The manual says I can plug into it with a regular extention cord but the plug dissapears.

Kirk
Old 05-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Registered

KN,
what do you mean the plug disappears? i know the guys at sunsation are good......but that’s a new one.

seriously, where does it go?

i don’t have a factory installed battery charger, but i did do a lot of research before i installed mine. so i can tell you that an on-board battery charger should, most definitely, go thru the shorepower plug which should be a marine grade receptacle. the 110vac needs to go thru a marine quality receptacle then to a gfi (ground fault interceptor) before it goes any where else! that way you know your always protected, rather relying on some marina to provide you with adequate short circuit protection. you will be able to plug in at the dock & run all your appliances & maintain fully charged batteries. i keep a dummy cord in my garage so i can plug my boat in at the house.
check out www.uscg.mil a lot of good information and links.

sorry i can’t help you with how sunsation did it, i guess if dave doesn’t answer it’s down to tracing the wires.

dean campbell
Old 05-17-2002, 12:24 PM
KN
Registered

Thanks Dean, My battery charger is wired through the shore power plug. Picked up a cord yesterday at West Marine so I can charge the batteries at home. Thanks for the reply

Kirk