prop selection and advice >

prop selection and advice

Notices

prop selection and advice

Old 05-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop selection and advice

Just ProCharged my 288 with a M3-SC unit, 5# boost and the 504 Intercooler. This is a carbed engine with Nickerson Performance prepped 800 CFM Hp carb. It is one sweet set-up. I've read all the pros and cons about procharged fuel injection vs carbed engines and if you want to fix it send the carb to Dean Nickerson. This boat performs like a baby. Heres my question to you SunSation Boys, I installed a Hydromotive Quad IV Intimidator (love that word) 29 pitch. Have to baby it up on plane to keep it from ventilating so bad that I think it drop out of gear and then if my cruising a 2800 to 3000 rpm and feed it some throttle 2#'s of boost will break it loose again. Talked to Hydromotive say's I needs a diffuser ring to cure the problem and they will send my one.(don't know about that fix-all--sounds to simple to me but we'll try it anyway.) I put my 26 pitch Bravo I back on and it will hold it all the way throughout the RPM range even if the boost hits it hard. Give me your thoughts guy's, Theres nothing more valuable and will get you there faster than the guy that's already done it and has the experience.

Thanks to the Brotherhood.

Valley Boy
Old 05-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Registered

Valley,

Our advice is to run with either 28 Bravos or 30 Bravo labbed, the Hydromotives we've experienced produce to much transom lift.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Dave and VB, just to confuse the issue, Hydromotive has a new prop out called the Quad IV-X which has bow lift similar to a Bravo I.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:10 AM
Registered

Laster,

Thanks for info, I'll keep a heads up on any info I might here on those.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:08 AM
wildcard

Question Prop Selection

I purchased a new Sunsation Dominator which came with 454 mags and 26" bravo props. The first time I used the boat in fresh water, The Bravo props gave me 4900 rpm's and 76 mph. I drove the boat back to the launch and changed the props to Hydromotive 27" without the ring . The boat came on plane faster and gave me 4800 rpm's and 78 mph. the Hydro's seemed to lift the whole boat out of the water. The change was done all within one hour. I have since tried the Bravo one's again, but on my boat, the hydromotives work better. Of course we are talking much less power and torque than a supercharged motor. I have since installed stainless marine exhaust, Arizona Speed & Marine flame arrestors and had my ecu's reprogrammed. I did not change the fuel pressure regulator. I feel there is no need unless you are in a high altitude area.I am now at 5050 and just over 80 mph with the same hydro props. I love the boat. I had a 2000 32 Fountain last year. Believe it or not, the Sunsation has a better ride in rough water and handles every bit a good.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:31 AM
Registered

Thanks a bunch for the info Dave, Laster & Wildcard. Wildcard hit the nail on the head about the entire boat lift issue. If I feed the throttle a little aggressively after I'm on plane it does lift the entire boat and then it ventilates the prop. Hydromotive sent me a Diffuser Ring to tack weld onto the prop and say's there is a good chance it will eliminate the problem (don't know if it will help but I will try it for my own satisfaction). I have access now to a 28P & 30P Bravo I (neither is lab finished) to run this weekend to try and nail this down. Had not heard of the Quad IV X yet but I think I will stick to Bravo I's from now on. I've always had good luck with no suprises. Seems that should have told me something, right?
As for the ride of a Sunsation as compared to the rest in pretty much any water condition (God forbid I put a Fountain in a category called the rest) they can't be beat. Maybe someday I will change boat brands when age calls for it, but hell, by then the boy's at Sunsation will have equipped them with an optional wheel chair lift (I HOPE).
Thanks again to all for the input on my query.

Valley Boy
Old 06-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

"...I had a 2000 32 Fountain last year. Believe it or not, the Sunsation has a better ride in rough water and handles every bit as good..."

And I thought I was alone in this world....

Rick