Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
Question for Bayley >

Question for Bayley

Notices

Question for Bayley

Old 06-04-2002, 11:42 PM
Sunsation 32

Default Question for Bayley

A friend of mine just put in a couple of 502/415's. whippled. Port side shuts down above 4000 rpm. He's been told that its sucking heat from starb. exhaust making it run hot and the comp. shuts it down. Did you experience any of these problems?

Old 06-05-2002, 08:43 AM
Bayley

No, I never had this problem.
Sounds very strange, has your friend talked to Dustin yet? I wouldn't think that the heat in the engine compartment would be that much higher than outside (with water jacketing, and everything else). Has you friend checked for adequate water flow? Those IC's use quite a bit of water and could possibly limit the amount of water running through the manifolds causing excess heat. It's just a S.W.A.G. but might be worth checking out.

Also, I have seen a lot of people go a little "overly" crazy with Ignition retard on blower / turbo applications. The MSD boxes can be grossly over calibrated (5 degree retard = more like 15!!!).

Not sure what to say, I've never had any excessive heating problems. I am running low water pickups and no thermostats in relatively cool waters (60 to 70 degrees). Throughout the entire process, Dustin stressed the importance of good water flow through the motor and IC. I tried for a long time to convince him that I needed a thermostat for my climate. He eventually won the argument and I just faced the fact that I will have a little more soot on the transom to clean up. Such is life, I suppose.

Let us know what your friend finds out, sorry I couldn't be more help.

-Bayley

Old 06-05-2002, 09:25 AM
dadinator

Check out earlier reply by DaveSunsation regarding getting 32Dominator to go 90mph. He talks about special engine/hatch cover to get more air to motors. The guy with the problems may want to remove the seat cushion and the bulk head between the engines and the compartment under the seat and see how it runs. I recently did this on my 32 with whips and it's neat to watch and listen to the engines scream.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Sunsation 32

Thanks Bayley. It sounded strange to me to. I think he's got ignition problems. Has anyone ever suggested using a crossover instead of a water pump! He's running about 180 degrees.