Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Sunsation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation-43/)
-   -   32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/sunsation/324371-32-dominator-question-twin-versus-single-engine-bay.html)

TracyRR 03-24-2015 11:58 AM

hey jon, i actually spoke to Bill on the phone a few weeks ago and he was gracious enough to share his thoughts on the #6 drive and the TT setup. He was very nice and even mentioned Brett at BBlades. I was leaning towards the checkmate 30' but the 32' sunsation is just gorgeous so i shifted my focus. p.s... Bill did mention you were "The Man" if i needed the advice of an expert. Thanks! T

Sydwayz 03-24-2015 12:02 PM

In a current, which we often have here in tidal/coastal waters, it's tough to overcome, especially with a big power single engine, often with a tall prop that wants to idle the boat at 7mph or so. Couple that with an engine driven power steering pump that may be a little more effort to spin the wheel when the engine is at idle RPM; it can be a bear.

Transmission drive/shifting (SSM) vs. Bravo cone clutch shifting, plus an electric or constant velocity power steering setup would help.
Also, the SSM VI drives have a bit smaller steering swing than a Bravo setup, correct?

TracyRR 03-24-2015 12:42 PM

Another question if i may: I'm looking for the most stable ride at big mph..... is there any particular year i need to buy or avoid? The years i have been looking at in the classifieds have been from 2000 - 2005. Thanks! T

Knot 4 Me 03-24-2015 12:56 PM

2000 - 2005 Dominators will all be the same hull - pad bottom with ventilated chine. They are not a stepped hull. These have the lower profile hulls which look great in the water.

TracyRR 03-24-2015 01:03 PM

Great, thanks Knot! T

Knot 4 Me 03-24-2015 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4283138)

This video is a great example of why staggered setups need to have the tailpipes braced on the forward engine. I rarely see this bracing. Eddie Young has done it on the Skater Vee he powered. The starboard header on the forward engine is all over the place!

Knot 4 Me 03-24-2015 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by TracyRR (Post 4283202)
Great, thanks Knot! T

The twin step Dominator hulls came about around 2006 or 2007. They have much taller hull sides. The decks are identical to the non-stepped hulls. The first runs of these hulls did not have a pad. A few years later Wayne added a small pad on this hull. These are the S, SS, SSR, and XRT models. All the same hull, just different levels of trim and the XRT has the unique dash layout. I've not been in the twin step with the pad. Only the non-pad twin step and the older non-stepped hull with the pad. Running in the 80's I found the twin step to be more stable. It all depends on setup. Again, the older hulls are just way more sexy looking in the water.

Lee 03-24-2015 01:44 PM

If you convert a twin to a single, remove the 3/16" hook in the bottom.

TracyRR 03-24-2015 01:46 PM

That is good info, i appreciate it! T

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4283205)
The twin step Dominator hulls came about around 2006 or 2007. They have much taller hull sides. The decks are identical to the non-stepped hulls. The first runs of these hulls did not have a pad. A few years later Wayne added a small pad on this hull. These are the S, SS, SSR, and XRT models. All the same hull, just different levels of trim and the XRT has the unique dash layout. I've not been in the twin step with the pad. Only the non-pad twin step and the older non-stepped hull with the pad. Running in the 80's I found the twin step to be more stable. It all depends on setup. Again, the older hulls are just way more sexy looking in the water.

TracyRR 03-24-2015 01:47 PM

hey lee, i don't own the boat yet so i'm not sure where the hook is?

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 4283217)
If you convert a twin to a single, remove the 3/16" hook in the bottom.