32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay >

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Notices

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Hey guys, I've searched but can't find what I'm looking for. Might be a stupid question but is the engine bay in a 32 Dominator twin engine the same layout as a single engine....? To be more specific, can a single engine be installed where twin engines were once mounted? Not speaking about misc items, I'm asking about beams that might be in the way. Pics would be great if possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Center stringer is going to be in the way
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You are going to have a little more work than just redoing the transom, but anything is doable. Plenty of big boats have had triples reduced to twins, including stagger configurations; totally changing stringer configurations. Sunsation uses traditional stringer bonded to hull construction, (vs. liner/grid/other alternatives); so this is likely doable.

You are going to have to reinforce the center stringer to shave it down, think knee braces laterally; tied into stringers on opposite sides of the oil pan. Also, you can go high on your X-dimension; and bring the actual prop height down with spacers if needed. Perhaps a dry-sump system without a deep oil pan would also save you some engine depth below the crankshaft.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Registered

Can i assume that is the engine mount runner (I'm sure there is a technical term) and not a structural stringer? Thanks for replying! T
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TracyRR
Can i assume that is the engine mount runner (I'm sure there is a technical term) and not a structural stringer? Thanks for replying! T
I would consider every stringer structural, especially one mounting an engine. The amount of torque applied to those stringers is the same that the engine is putting out when your prop is hooked up.

I can't find the Freeze Frame Video, but there is one looking aft from the cockpit and the engine hatch blows off during a race. You can see the two Mercury Racing motors twisting all over the place with the torque of the motors loading and unloading.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fin2S42e_5M
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Registered

hey brian, i must have missed this post when i typed earlier. This is exactly what i was thinking.... lateral braces off of the outer runners and reinforce the hell out of it just in case. That video is crazy... wow, lots of movement! This is a dry sump so i will go easy on the trimming of the center runner as you suggest. My plan is to go with a #6 drive but at the very least, have a #5 on it. I have not purchased the boat yet but i know there are very few single 32's out there so i'm just planning ahead. I really dig the lines on the 32"!! Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You are going to have a little more work than just redoing the transom, but anything is doable. Plenty of big boats have had triples reduced to twins, including stagger configurations; totally changing stringer configurations. Sunsation uses traditional stringer bonded to hull construction, (vs. liner/grid/other alternatives); so this is likely doable.

You are going to have to reinforce the center stringer to shave it down, think knee braces laterally; tied into stringers on opposite sides of the oil pan. Also, you can go high on your X-dimension; and bring the actual prop height down with spacers if needed. Perhaps a dry-sump system without a deep oil pan would also save you some engine depth below the crankshaft.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TracyRR
hey brian, i must have missed this post when i typed earlier. This is exactly what i was thinking.... lateral braces off of the outer runners and reinforce the hell out of it just in case. That video is crazy... wow, lots of movement! This is a dry sump so i will go easy on the trimming of the center runner as you suggest. My plan is to go with a #6 drive but at the very least, have a #5 on it. I have not purchased the boat yet but i know there are very few single 32's out there so i'm just planning ahead. I really dig the lines on the 32"!! Thanks for the help!
I have two friends lucky enough to have Single 32' Dominators; both in VA. I can probably have one of them snag pictures when you need them. (I think there are only 5 or 6 total).

Be aware, they are VERY difficult to dock. If you are doing fiberglass/hull work; you might consider a bow thruster; and yes I'm serious.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

Yes, pics would be awesome if you could make that happen! I can PM my email if that would be easier. I will look into the bow thrusters as well. Seems like that wouldn't be too difficult to install. Did your friends go that route or do they NEED to install them, lol. Thanks again!! T
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I have two friends lucky enough to have Single 32' Dominators; both in VA. I can probably have one of them snag pictures when you need them. (I think there are only 5 or 6 total).

Be aware, they are VERY difficult to dock. If you are doing fiberglass/hull work; you might consider a bow thruster; and yes I'm serious.

Brian,

Singles? What's the Docking issue?

On Bill's (Check300) zero docking issues.
Single Engine #6 drive, with 1500 hp and the key is the 3 blade prop to this set up.

Brett at BBlades knows how to make this prop..

Jon
Attached Thumbnails 32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay-p9060150.jpg   32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay-p9060152.jpg   32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay-check300-3.jpg  

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay-check300-13.jpg   32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay-dyno_01.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.