Notices

288 or 32?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 288 or 32?

Currently have a Checkmate 251 and looking to upgrade to a 288 or 32 Sunsation. My budget is $35Kish, hoping you guys can help with thoughts about what might be best. Here's more info on my boating needs:

- I boat mainly inland smallish lakes without a ton of traffic. If anyone's from the Midwest I'm usually at Carlyle, Kinkaid, Rend, KY lake occasionally, Alton pool, Kaskaskia. For those not around the Midwest not many of these lakes get much more than 3' ers, and rarely get those.

-I tow my boat everywhere. While I have my eye on the 32, I have some concerns that towing it will be a PIMA. For those reasons I'd consider the 288.

-I only have mild speed goals, mid 70's to 80 and I'd be happy, but want reliability.

-Currently my family is myself, the wife, a 2 year old and one in the hopper. I'd like to be able to take more people with us, in the checkmate 4 adults is tight. Is the cabin the in 288 much smaller than the 32?

If someone has something they are looking to sell let me know, but be forewarned I've been told by the aforementioned wife I must sell a boat to buy a boat.

A final question, I see a 32 in the classifieds with 900 hours, which seems like quite a bit. I figure the 7.4L will only get me to 70 so I'd need to do some hp upgrades, or replace the motors. Thoughts on buying a boat with this many hours?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Get a 32 Dominator, 454 MAGs preferably.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned both, and my responses are in red below.

Originally Posted by ajexpress
Currently have a Checkmate 251 and looking to upgrade to a 288 or 32 Sunsation. My budget is $35Kish, hoping you guys can help with thoughts about what might be best. Here's more info on my boating needs:

- I boat mainly inland smallish lakes without a ton of traffic. If anyone's from the Midwest I'm usually at Carlyle, Kinkaid, Rend, KY lake occasionally, Alton pool, Kaskaskia. For those not around the Midwest not many of these lakes get much more than 3' ers, and rarely get those.

-I tow my boat everywhere. While I have my eye on the 32, I have some concerns that towing it will be a PIMA. For those reasons I'd consider the 288.
My 288 was on a tandem axle steel Manning trailer, and my 32 is on a tandem axle aluminum Myco. They tow very much the same. Obviously the 32 on the trailer is longer, but it still turns nice and is very maneuverable with the tandem axles vs triple axles. I haven't found a ramp or road that I can't go down with my 32 vs my 288.

-I only have mild speed goals, mid 70's to 80 and I'd be happy, but want reliability.
You're not going to get to mid 70s with a 288 unless it's got a 525EFI (kinda rare), built aftermarket engine (kinda unreliable) or blown stock engine (could be reliable, could not be...depends on what the base engine is) 454s in an older dominator should get you in the speed range. Not sure if you'll be able to hit your $35k target though.

-Currently my family is myself, the wife, a 2 year old and one in the hopper. I'd like to be able to take more people with us, in the checkmate 4 adults is tight. Is the cabin the in 288 much smaller than the 32?
The cockpit on the sunnys is not really very big. The 288 and 32 have the exact same cockpit. My 288 had much more storage space due to one less engine...lots more room for storage under the hatch, and under the seat. The cabin on the 32 is larger, but it doesn't really feel much bigger, to be honest. Either boat will be perfect for your family. I bought my 288 when my daughter was 6 months old, and added another kid 2.5 year later.

If someone has something they are looking to sell let me know, but be forewarned I've been told by the aforementioned wife I must sell a boat to buy a boat.
There are a lot of Sunnys for sale right now. Check out powerboat swap shop on facebook...i've seen several in the last couple months. Currently it's the most nice sunnys I've seen for sale in years.

A final question, I see a 32 in the classifieds with 900 hours, which seems like quite a bit. I figure the 7.4L will only get me to 70 so I'd need to do some hp upgrades, or replace the motors. Thoughts on buying a boat with this many hours?
900 is a lot of hours. But if you buy it right, and it's in good condition, that shouldn't be a deal breaker. My 288 had 740 hours on the 496HO when I sold it...but it ran perfect, was well maintained, and the overall condition of the gel, paint, vinyl, trailer were all great. Better than most 400 hour boats I've seen.

Thanks.
Welcome
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Def. go for the 32. You will see minimal difference between a 288 and the boat you have more; and actually the 25' Checkmate may ride a bit better.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/47045
Old 05-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Def. go for the 32. You will see minimal difference between a 288 and the boat you have more; and actually the 25' Checkmate may ride a bit better.
My personal experience is neither are a great riding rough water boat but the 288 is better. ;
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by ajexpress

Thanks.
If you are looking for more cockpit room for 4 adults then a Sunny is not a good choice. Very tight between front bolsters and rear seat. As with your current boat, 4 is tight and with 5 someone is always in the way.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I've owned both, and my responses are in red below.

Welcome
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I joined the fb group you mentioned and will peruse later. Regarding cockpit space it sounds like I either need to go the MCOB route or just forego worrying about having others in my boat. Quite honestly it's easier with just the family in the boat. Nobody to worry about picking up after.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
My checkmate drives pretty damn well in the snot I've had it in. I have no complaints for it's rough water ride. The porpoise at speeds on calm water, however, can drive me batty.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
If you are looking for more cockpit room for 4 adults then a Sunny is not a good choice. Very tight between front bolsters and rear seat. As with your current boat, 4 is tight and with 5 someone is always in the way.
Maybe I need an MCOB, but I just love the look of a closed bow. I'm not overly worried about the rough water ride as I just don't see a ton of the snotty stuff where I boat. If I was boating at LOTO every weekend maybe a heavier boat would be in order, but I hear good things about sunnys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.