08 SSR question >

08 SSR question

Notices

08 SSR question

Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 08 SSR question

We just upgraded from our 05 32 (496HO) boat which we ran for the last three years to an 08 32 SSR (496HO) boat and I understand the differences in the hull. A bit of background and I will get to the question, the boat has lab finished 30P Bravo's. The previous owner broke a prop shaft and I have to assume lost a prop I noticed in the documents I received with boat there was a receipt where both prop shafts had been upgraded and one prop had been preplaced and "lab finished & balanced" I do not know who did the lab work on the props either time. Once up on plane at pretty much any speed I have to keep the starboard tab set on 1 otherwise the boat wants to tilt to the right, regardless of the tab settings the starboard tab always has to be lower the gap widens the lower you go on the tabs. Example this Sunday on Lake Michigan it was pretty rough out of Muskegon and I could run about 35mph but had the tabs down, Starboard set just over three port set at 2 and we could run without getting beat to death. If the props are not lab finished to the same spec. could this be causing my tilt?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

check how your boat sits when resting at the docksbet it lists a little to starboard ...mine does and from what I've notice others do as well. This would be why you need just a bit of tab on your side to run level.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Start with the simple stuff first. Have your verified that your outdrives are even on the indicators?

And yes, unless replacing a stock prop with another stock prop, it could very well be that you have more cup or pitch or other in the 'new' prop's lab work that is affecting the boat. It would not be a bad idea to send them to BBlades to have them verified, cleaned, and trued.

Racer's tip: Many folks do not use the tabs to level the boat side to side, but rather use the drives. If the port side of the bow is low, trim the starboard side drive out a bit more. That will pivot the port side bow a bit higher. "Trim tabs waste gas" was a phrase we always joked about on Poker Runs.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-18-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Registered

thanks LA for the input I have noticed that it sits slightly off center while at the dock so it would appear to be normal for this boat if yours does the same. I was thinking alone the lines of Sydwayz suggestion and will just pull the props and send them to Brett at BBlades over the winter for a once over.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

First I would bet the boat list that way like mine does. I am pretty sure the water tank is on that side plus I have a 2 amps and a 13" sub and box under rear seat on that side and I out weigh my wife by 60 to 70 lbs. I have noticed that 35mph it will start to ride on the steps so I tend to get on plane with good speed and then back of throttles and it seems to help out.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Rob, I have a set of unmolested 30's if you want to try them
Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
Rob, I have a set of unmolested 30's if you want to try them
Thanks Joe I may give that a try one weekend but I really think its weight. somewhere there are two good size amps I cant find plus extra batteries to power the stereo and the A/C unit is one the right side of the boat.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Racer's tip: Many folks do not use the tabs to level the boat side to side, but rather use the drives. If the port side of the bow is low, trim the starboard side drive out a bit more. That will pivot the port side bow a bit higher. "Trim tabs waste gas" was a phrase we always joked about on Poker Runs.
+1. Plus, it is a safer way to level the boat, particularly if you are in snotty water and catching some air. Catching a lowered tab on a rogue wave can do ugly things.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigredbaja
Thanks Joe I may give that a try one weekend but I really think its weight. somewhere there are two good size amps I cant find plus extra batteries to power the stereo and the A/C unit is one the right side of the boat.
I am pretty sure you have Dave's old boat from seeing it at Barkley. Elite Auto in Indy did all the lighting and audio work on that boat if you want to know where he hid the amps.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW
I am pretty sure you have Dave's old boat from seeing it at Barkley. Elite Auto in Indy did all the lighting and audio work on that boat if you want to know where he hid the amps.
You're correct it is Dave's old boat, I have all the receipts for the system I need to give them a call later this week I noticed one of the speakers in the cabin is not working and I checked all the connections on the back of the speaker this morning, don't know if its been that way or I knocked something loose on Lake Michigan this past weekend. Not really a big deal you can hear the stereo from a mile away one speaker wont make much difference I just don't like it when something don't work,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.