Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
Hour meter vs engine scan >

Hour meter vs engine scan

Notices

Hour meter vs engine scan

Old 06-22-2020, 01:00 PM
  #1  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jeff City MO.
Posts: 248
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hour meter vs engine scan

Im looking at a single engine 2013 Sunsation and the hour meter is almost maxed like 908 but engine scan is at 143.7 total hours. I assume that this can happen by not turning the key all the way off? I had this happen in my 2007 35 Baja and the hour meters got out of wack side to side and 30 or so hours over the what the engine scan was. I do know the marina left the keys on after servicing my outdrives two weeks later I brought it to the house to clean it and batteries were dead. I would have thought that they would have fixed that by 2013 so it couldn't happen anymore???

The boat looks like a low hour boat not a single mark or scratch anywhere in the paint or hull, trailer is pristine the bilge/ engine compartment look virtually showroom, outdrives and tabs paint is perfect and shines like new.

Final question if I buy the boat and want to fix this do I get a new hour meter and power it up till it matches the engines? this seems the simple solve but without a wiring diagram or better understanding of the Sunsation electrical system I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance
Awash is offline  
Old 06-22-2020, 01:31 PM
  #2  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jeff City MO.
Posts: 248
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Awash View Post
Im looking at a single engine 2013 Sunsation and the hour meter is almost maxed like 908 but engine scan is at 143.7 total hours. I assume that this can happen by not turning the key all the way off? I had this happen in my 2007 35 Baja and the hour meters got out of wack side to side and 30 or so hours over the what the engine scan was. I do know the marina left the keys on after servicing my outdrives two weeks later I brought it to the house to clean it and batteries were dead. I would have thought that they would have fixed that by 2013 so it couldn't happen anymore???

The boat looks like a low hour boat not a single mark or scratch anywhere in the paint or hull, trailer is pristine the bilge/ engine compartment look virtually showroom, outdrives and tabs paint is perfect and shines like new.

Final question if I buy the boat and want to fix this do I get a new hour meter and power it up till it matches the engines? this seems the simple solve but without a wiring diagram or better understanding of the Sunsation electrical system I'm just not sure.

Thanks in advance
Spoke to Jeff at Sunsation I think he works in tech dept. but doesn't really matter he was supper helpful I was expecting to get no one! He answered the first part of this and said that yes left in acc. were everything is on, the hour meters do run.....just like my Baja. I could get another hour meter (Livorsi) and fix it the way I described what's anyones thoughts? fix it so it matches engine hour or leave it and provide the engine scan to the next buyer when I sell it some day?
Awash is offline  
Old 06-22-2020, 01:39 PM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chesapeake Bay, MD
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I replaced the computer in one of my old boats, and the scan would show only the hours after I replaced which was considerably less that the total hours on the boat / motor. Just a heads up.
Awaken is offline  
Old 06-22-2020, 01:54 PM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 265
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

If the hour meter will just roll back over to 000 and start over, you could just leave the key on until it got back to match the scanned hours.
BIGSLOW is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 02:08 PM
  #5  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jeff City MO.
Posts: 248
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I replaced the computer in one of my old boats, and the scan would show only the hours after I replaced which was considerably less that the total hours on the boat / motor. Just a heads up.
Thank you good to know if it wasn't a 2014 and so crazy pristine I'd worry more, I'm confident it will pass a survey
Awash is offline  
Old 06-22-2020, 02:17 PM
  #6  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jeff City MO.
Posts: 248
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW View Post
If the hour meter will just roll back over to 000 and start over, you could just leave the key on until it got back to match the scanned hours.
That would be too easy if I buy the boat I think I'll see if that's possible
Awash is offline  
Old 06-24-2020, 10:27 PM
  #7  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 502
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I would def make the hour meter match, it drives me nuts just having my meters not match perfectly from port to starboard, I alternate starting each one so one doesn't read more over time, ocd is a ***** sometimes
blownhammer2000 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (06-25-2020)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser