Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s >

288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s

Notices

288 owners w/ stock 496 H.O.'s

Old 05-08-2004, 08:28 AM
mlitefan

Still waiting for the prop to come back and it is a beautiful weekend!

Old 05-11-2004, 10:15 PM
mlitefan

Now for another update...

Just received the prop late today. Second trip back to remove some of the cup to help eliminate some of the porpoise.

Side note..Changed plugs last night with new set of Rapidfire #1's. Started boat on hose after changing plugs and boat fired right uo and ran great.

Prop arrived today at 3:30...3:45 I hooked the boat up to the Yukon and was heading down to the river!

Get to the river, launch boat, fire it up and all is well. Boat comes up to temp and while waiting for my buddy to park the trailer, I thought I would see how the hole shot was after taking out the cup. Nail the throttle, boat starts to come on plain with no blow-out and suddenly looses power, spits and sputters a few times and cuts off. Ohhhhhhhh crap.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
mlitefan

Can't edit and was a bit fast on the last post so here is the rest of the story...

After about five minutes of pulling plug wires and plugging them back in, I finally get the boat started. Spits and sputters back to the dock where my now very embarrassed buddy grabs the front end and we go through what might be the problem. First thing we think of is maybe one of the new plugs is bad. Load the boat up and go to local Advance (10 minutes away) and buy new plugs and quickly install them in the parking lot. No real visible problems but again, the plugs were brand new.

Get the boat back to the river, fire it up and immediately, I can tell it isn't running very well. Try to get on plane one last time and same issue...motor stalls and quits. To get it started, I need to feather the throttle and then sputter back to the dock.

LONG story short, I head over to a guy that has done some work for me in the past, he does a small amount of troubleshooting and thinks I have a fuel issue (his guess is the electric fuel pump). He is going to hook up the merc scan tool, fuel pressure gauge and check it all out tomorrow. I hope it is just the regulator or a fuel filter but it was getting late and I needed the thing diagnosed ASAP.

We shall see....

Rick, hopefully, the boat will be back in business by Saturday so I can meet you guys on the river.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that, I'm anxious to hear your results with that prop. But from the other threads on the new 288 hull, I don't think a simple prop rework is going to eliminate the purpose .
Old 05-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Bummer Larry...keep us posted
Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 AM
mlitefan

Will do Steve...

Jeff, as much as I would like to eliminate all the porpoise, I don't think the mods to the prop will do that either. Best case, I want to get it back to the slight porpoise it had previously.

If I get everything done by Sat morning, I might slap on a labed 26 that a friend of mine has, to see what the boat does with it. Not sure how thin the blades are so I don't even know if I will be able to spin it. Hey, it will give me something to do other than drinking beer at the pits!

Old 05-12-2004, 08:03 PM
mlitefan

OK...Here is the scoop. Received a call this morning from the mechanic looking at the boat and he had the fuel pressure gage as well as the Merc scan tool connected to the boat. Fuel pressure looked good (36 to 38) and the scan tool only showed one knock sensor fault as well as an O2 fault. Keep in mind, I sent the ECU out for reprogramming early this spring. The only data not wiped out from the reprogram was "real" run time. 160.1 hours. Hour meter showed 170 hours and I know I have been guilty of leaving key on when not running. Boat was running fine on hose, no miss, no fuss.

My mechanic said this wasn't unusual for a failing E fuel pump and based on some research I did here and other places last night, seemed very plausible to me as well. He wanted to see the pressure gage as well as scan tool under power on the water so I headed down to the shop to pick it up and drop it in the river. When I arrived, we started the boat, sounded great. Just before heading to the river, I asked him if he checked the fuel/water separator and he said no, but lets look at it now. In his defense, I think he assumed I would have done that before bringing the boat to him and I really should have. I was also really pushing him on the time frame of getting all this done.

Long story short, the filter was FULL of water. After this, he lifted the boat with a ball equipped fork lift so the gas (and water) would flow to the back side of the tank and after about an hour of letting it settle, he pumped out between 3 and 5 gallons of tainted fuel/water mixture. He replaced the fuel/water separator as well as added a bottle of fuel treatment and off I went for the water test.

Dropped the boat in at Hopewell Yacht Club, putted out to the channel and hit it. Boat starts to plane and bam...bogs down again and I am crushed!!! Until I remember he said it would likely do this due to the amount of water he sucked out of my tank!!! Planed sloooooowly after that, hit it after a few seconds and bam, all is well.

If you are in the Richmond area, do NOT buy gas at the new Wawa on Route 1 as you head to Dutch Gap.

As for the prop, it felt much better after the cup was removed. Still porpoised in flat but not as severe...more like it did with the stock 24 B1. Settled out in 1 foot chop, just like I expected it to. Ran it up to 69.4 and didn't really have time to experiment but bottom line, I am happy with the results!!!

Hole shot still great. Cruise 50~53 MPH @ 37~800 RPM. Top speed of 69.4, GPS, 90 degrees medium humidity.

Hats off to Bob at Anchor Point as he dropped an engine rebuild to get me taken care of ASAP.

See everyone on the river Saturday.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice results Milt. You are right about the 1 foot chop. thats all it takes for the hull to shine! Its gotta be real smooth to porpose. Your speed, was that GPS?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats Larry...I'm glad your prop experience work out better for you than it did me. Have fun this summer with it
Old 05-13-2004, 09:53 AM
mlitefan

Jeff...those are GPS speeds.

Steve, I was hoping to get a tad bit more speed but as I said, I haven't had a chance to play yet so I may get better results still.

As it stands, I picked up about 1 mph without really sacrificing the handle. It might be as much as 2 mph when I can figure out where the trim needs to be for optimal speed.

I think I still want a spare, just in case.

BTW...I spoke to Shawn last night and we are going to try my prop on his boat to see how it runs. Should be interesting as our boats are so close in performance. Probably will not get a chance to try that until June as that will be the first time we head down to the lake to camp. We are both in the SML Poker run next weekend but I doubt we get a chance to try it then.