Taking our sport to the "Next Level" >

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Notices

Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Old 02-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copies of the schedule could at least be distributed at the boat show this weekend in Miami
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Florida Championship is already on the web site schedule!

PCB it is!

Sean
Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

My only fear about boat shows is displays usually cost money just to get in the door. I did the Ft Lauderdale boat show with Challenger Powerboats and I'm glad they paid for it...they spent a lot of $$$ for their display area.

As for the air shows I've mentioned, I've got an inside line and there's no cost for displays. I'll most likely do both shows myself, but I think a "mini dry pit" area will draw a larger crowd. Not to mention, I'm the air boss for one of the shows, so I won't be able to hang out by the boat to hand out info.

Sean
Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TGOR
My only fear about boat shows is displays usually cost money just to get in the door. I did the Ft Lauderdale boat show with Challenger Powerboats and I'm glad they paid for it...they spent a lot of $$$ for their display area.

As for the air shows I've mentioned, I've got an inside line and there's no cost for displays. I'll most likely do both shows myself, but I think a "mini dry pit" area will draw a larger crowd. Not to mention, I'm the air boss for one of the shows, so I won't be able to hang out by the boat to hand out info.

Sean
I believe AMF already has a booth at Miami, maybe they could hand out the schedule??
Old 02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FunHome
I've been pondering about this for a long time, but since the Hollywood Race where I saw some things that got me thinking again of ways to help our sport go to the "next level". Here are my thoughts,
I think it is all about “The Show” no matter weather you are at a Monster Truck Show, Nascar Race, Friday night circle track racing, or the Superbowl. So what can we do to help our sport be more interesting, fun, and easier to watch?? I’m not going to get into another debate about classes; I just want to work with what we’ve got.

- First I think we all (in SBI) should have SUPERBOAT.COM in BIG readable letters on our boats, preferably somewhere you can see it when it is on its trailer heading to and from an event, on both sides and on the back. I know we are all required to have the SBI triangle sticker, but I believe that is mostly for the TV cameras zooming in on us when we are racing. Face it our race Boats are like huge billboards that we drag all over this country and we should use them as such. That way people can go to the site (which is pretty Kick A$$ right now) and see the schedule of who, what, when, and where.
- Then I think AMF is headed in the right direction!! Hollywood was the first race I had seen them in person. The first thing you could see from across the street is that they were having fun. They were putting on a show!! They had music going, lights flashing, Jumbo tron playing, it looked like fun!! Also you could tell right away who the racers were, meaning Scott and Marc where in their full race suits. I also see from their Blog, that they made an appearance at a hospital to visit children (in their race suits) this is the kind of thing we need to do more of to get the attention of the media. We ought to get together and get more teams to do this. Even to the point that teams that show up early and help do site promotion should get a reduced entry fee or something.
- About “the Show”. I know it is difficult to hand out checkered flags on the course and in the production class, you really don’t know who won until the GPS is downloaded. But for the fans we ought to (get a flag in front of them) and pass by as close as possible, meaning have a area predetermined and marked by a buoy of where “Victory Lane” is and where there is plenty of water. From the water everything close to shore looks shallow and from land it all looks deep and like the boats are way out there.
- I think the Racer Parties should be in the pits, and the pits should have more for people to see. For instance High performance boat show, get poker-runners to have their boats on display, or a local club, or a marina, brokerage firm, etc. It should have things for kids to do. Like a play area. Get a local civic group to have this area, they could charge a small fee to cover their expenses and maybe make a little $$ for their cause.
- There should be more promoting, the ad’s we all have heard before with the announcers yelling about motorcross, monster trucks, etc. (THIS WEEKEND ONLY!! FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY SUPERBOAT RACES!! DON’T MISS THE PARTY IN THE PITS ON FRIDAY NIGHT, SATURDAY ALL DAY HIGH PERFORMANCE BOAT SHOW, SUPERBOAT TESTING, BATHING SUIT COMPETION, SUNDAY RACES AT 1PM, DON’T MISS IT!! COME SEE THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST BOATS FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!) We were in Hollywood for the races and stopped in a Napa auto store that was about 2miles from the pits and they didn’t even know about the race.
These are just a couple of ideas and I know some have been incorporated before, but I think we as racers need to help do what we can. Enough for now I need to find some better uniforms (race suits) for my team and order some more stickers, hero cards, etc.!!!
Later,
Brad Harrington
Owner/Throttleman P4-17
D&M Motorsports / Lake Shores Marina
SBI / APBA / UIM World Champions!!!
St Cloud has a lot of what you are saying, and that is just a divisional, all races should be like St. Cloud, only on a bigger scale, and advertising needs to be done, Morning radio show works well.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A positive discussion on Boat Racing.......Let's make this a trend!!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A "bigger show", more "fan friendly", better visibility for the fans, more press events, , hero cards, mandatory uniforms for a more professional appearance and fan recognition, bikinis and rock and roll on TV broadcasts, "gentlemen start your engines" (Daytona 2001), etc.......

All great ideas. Be careful though, or you might be tarred and feathered like a certain attorney by the name of Allweiss was. Whether you like him or not, he implemented, or at least tried to, about 90% of these ideas about 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm not trying to throw water on the ideas, just pointing out that most/many of them were part of the MA long term plan for offshore.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always heard that St. Cloud is a great place to race!!

Marc, I hear ya!! Lets keep it going!!

Are you guys haveing a booth at the Maimi Boat Show???
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well the future is here.........and regardless of who had good ideas, and when, positive ideas IMPLEMENTED NOW, and especially by racers themselves, can only help.
I don't think good ideas got anyone tarred and feathered - it might have been the bad ones.

Re: the Marathon race, if anyone wants to bring their truck/boat in early I'll find a place to display it.......or you can use my dock for whatever.
Just my $.02 pd
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pat D

Re: the Marathon race, if anyone wants to bring their truck/boat in early I'll find a place to display it.......or you can use my dock for whatever.
Just my $.02 pd
dibs on the couch!!!

Quick Reply: Taking our sport to the "Next Level"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.