Key West Race Length >

Key West Race Length

Notices

Key West Race Length

Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Key West Race Length

I just read that the race length is only 83 miles for Sunday and 44 miles for the Wed and Friday races????
What kind of World Championship is that? I remember when it was over 200 miles for the final day.

We are supposed to make this harder not easier. First we stop going offshore and now we are doing sprint races? This is not what offshore powerboat racing is supposed to be.

Back in 86 the open boats would run 150 miles for a regular national race...What happened to making this a proving ground?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have tubes in your tv? Times have changed! IT makes for a better show...With the price of parts these days an the economy it allows for more teams to race! Wish I was paying 1986 fuel prices...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered

OK so i am fine with the shorter laps to give the people a show. So with that being said, lets give them a better show and do more laps so that the race distance is 200 mile sfor a world championship race. A one hour race is crap...

Do you you have unreliable motors in your boat?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us would need to stop and refuel twice
Old 10-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The equation of how much faster the boats are today compared to how long the courses were back then, evens out the theroy on testing the equipment, reliability, & endurance. I have been in the boat in Key West were the 30 mile early races were PLENTY long enough.....times have changed, fans lose interest quickly a 2 hour race would get real boring.....
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Registered

I guess we have a difference of opinion there. (which is not a bad thing)

I feel that a two or three hour race is great. People put there boats in the water, drag the family down there...They want to make it an event a day long affair not an 45/60 minute event...

My opinion, hell i am travelling from Atlanta for the races at least give me more then 60 min...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

With the course being shorter and there being 2 or 3 races , it still fills the day. I remember "THE OLD DAYS" when there was 1 race with ALL the boats. The ORGs do there best to put on the best show possible with the amount of entries that they get. In Orange Beach this year the OSS ran the race in 4 heats in stead of 2 races to make it a better show. Usually the best part of a race is the start and the first few laps. So when you have more races with more starts and more first few laps it really does equate to a better show for the fans. PLUS the boats are MORE relialble now than back then and the classes are more even so more of the racing is deck to deck than it was when they ran 30 mile laps and the boat only passed by 4 or 5 time in the matter of 2 hours. Most of the boats built now are built only to hold enough fuel for what they are racing very few couls actually run more than 100 miles....
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I still think we had it right in the 80's. 3 or 4 staggered starts. There were constantly boats going by for the fans to see. The problem now, is that the courses are so short, by the time you do a staggered start, you have boats coming around completing the 1st lap. Maybe there should be an offshore race and an inshore race. Inshore to see which boat has the best acceleration, top speed and turning capabilities. Offshore to see who has the toughest gear and best crew.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,736 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
I still think we had it right in the 80's. 3 or 4 staggered starts. There were constantly boats going by for the fans to see. The problem now, is that the courses are so short, by the time you do a staggered start, you have boats coming around completing the 1st lap. Maybe there should be an offshore race and an inshore race. Inshore to see which boat has the best acceleration, top speed and turning capabilities. Offshore to see who has the toughest gear and best crew.

HORBA is attemting to do that.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
The equation of how much faster the boats are today compared to how long the courses were back then, evens out the theroy on testing the equipment, reliability, & endurance. I have been in the boat in Key West were the 30 mile early races were PLENTY long enough.....times have changed, fans lose interest quickly a 2 hour race would get real boring.....
I agree that the fans would lose interest quickly if there were a 2 hour race per class and out in the ocean where no body could see them. It would be boring for me and I love Offshore Powerboat Racing. If you are running 3-4 races in the same afternoon and each race is one hour long, it will be more exciting for the spectators and the racers. Spectators want to see continuous race action and that is created by the shorter race course instead of occasional race action created by the longer race course, where you have to wait about 5 minutes or so depending on the Class for the boats to come by and when the boats spread out on a longer course it sucks compared to a shorter course where the spectators can see the boats going by more offend. Shorter courses and as close as possible to the spectators as possible is the Future of Offshore Powerboat Racing, if you want more race fans and did I mention Unity of the racers. Sorry I just had to mention that, I don't know what came over me.

Quick Reply: Key West Race Length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.