Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Super Boat International (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/super-boat-international-191/)
-   -   JBS masters of invivibility (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/super-boat-international/199928-jbs-masters-invivibility.html)

JBS 12-08-2008 06:07 PM

JBS masters of invivibility

Its wierd-I could have sworn I was in key west with my team.I thought it might have been a dream beating Geico,Bud light,CRC and all the other teams there.When I awoke the trophies must have magicaly appeared-because according to every paper and magazine so far Geico,Bud,and Amsoil were the only teams there.
So thanks to everyone who loved JBS' equipment and all the teams that complimented me on a job well done-it means alot.So it seems JBS racing is only invisible to the media-which is dissapointing to me.I cant see going on with this just for the love of it.Its not worth it.If we had a sponsor (besides me) Im sure they would do the same.Even if JBS isnt racing we will get the same exposure.
So congratulations to eveyone that gets recognized-you have appeal and the ability to be seen-Im jealous.
As for JBS racing-Im not sure whats going to happen-I might just do poker runs-I know they get excellent exposure.

ScottB 12-08-2008 07:15 PM

Jeff, I understand your frustrations, but the press we get did not come easy or overnight. We toiled for as year as Platinum Princess with no press whatsover. We employ a publicist who works from home, Mikey who's sole job is to drum up press at the Race sites and Marc and myself who are constantly on the phone networking for more press. Oh and GEICO has a pretty big staff helping us as well so in essence, we are a self promoting entity. Amzoil and Bud have Similiar programs as well. Please do not begrudge us for the work we have don to get to where we are with regard to press. You guys ran 2 races and in those two races you gained the respect of many a fan and racer but you cannot realistic think you will be a media sensation overnight.

With all due respect Jeff, I think the world of you and your team, but you won top gun wich is nothing more than highest average speed for 3 days of racing you did not beat Miss Geico. If you did, it would have been you the the Times, not us
I really hope you do not take this personally but you need to beat Miss Geico on the course. When and if you do, the press will come.

You have a great team and great equipment so give it a chance and do not give up going after sponsors and making it work

JBS 12-08-2008 08:00 PM

Jbs

I never thought that we should be a media sensation-Im just talking about being mentioned.I realy thought we did an outstanding job with very limited time in the boat.We did beat geico on wednesdays race in key west with no mention.We beat Bud in every race we did this year.If top gun isnt even worth mentioning why do you guys have it on your web site when you won it?Just curious.All Im saying is that the media does an incredibly poor job of reporting what actualy happened at the races-maybe insignifigant to them but devistating to those who pour everything they have into it and get nothing at all in return.Its great that you have such a huge sponsor and have people devoted to making sure that you are in the media spotlight-you should be-your the best.

ScottB 12-08-2008 08:07 PM

Jeff, You are absolutely right, the media does a poor job of covering races, and its really not there fault, we are a not a top level sport and the media has no real knowledge of what we do, and that is precisely why you need to do it yourself.

What you guys did in Key West was phenominal with the limited amount of seat time. As far as our website, we mention everything. I didn't mean to minimize the outstanding job you guys did because it was awesome. Just pound the phones and toot your own horn to the press, they will start listening. It just will not fall in you lap thats all. Don't take ot personally because the media, with the exception of the boating mags, are completely uneducated about what we do and that why you need to do it yourself. If you had someone contact a paper in your area and have them sing your praises about the Top Gun trophy, I bet you'll get a nice sory out of it and with each article you start building a database of press that you can include in your sponsor kits. GET YOUR CREW, WIFE, FRIENDS, ETC ON THE PHONE!!!!!! it will happen

JBS 12-08-2008 08:37 PM

Jbs

You are right but its incredibly hard to do it here in wisconsin-Ive tried-there just isnt any interest.In 2004 I couldnt even get our world championship in the paper-its not much different now.Its sad-you have to be wearing a packers uniform to get any recognition around here.

stevequick 12-08-2008 08:44 PM

Jeff,
For what it's worth, nothing you did went unrecognized by your fellow racers and the fans who are capable of understanding. You guys (Turbine) might be the future of Offshore or simply a much needed "hook". But you can rest assured, if you continue to put on a show like the one in Key West. Publicity will be the last thing you will have to worry about.
SQ

Aqua Banshee 12-08-2008 10:21 PM

Maybe the press couldn't get all the EGO on one page?

Karaokemike 12-08-2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ScottB (Post 2755453)
Jeff, I understand your frustrations, but the press we get did not come easy or overnight. We toiled for as year as Platinum Princess with no press whatsover. We employ a publicist who works from home, Mikey who's sole job is to drum up press at the Race sites and Marc and myself who are constantly on the phone networking for more press. Oh and GEICO has a pretty big staff helping us as well so in essence, we are a self promoting entity. Amzoil and Bud have Similiar programs as well. Please do not begrudge us for the work we have don to get to where we are with regard to press. You guys ran 2 races and in those two races you gained the respect of many a fan and racer but you cannot realistic think you will be a media sensation overnight.

With all due respect Jeff, I think the world of you and your team, but you won top gun wich is nothing more than highest average speed for 3 days of racing you did not beat Miss Geico. If you did, it would have been you the the Times, not us
I really hope you do not take this personally but you need to beat Miss Geico on the course. When and if you do, the press will come.

You have a great team and great equipment so give it a chance and do not give up going after sponsors and making it work

Jeff, let me say from this past year that it is not that easy to get anything from any race that we go to. The best race to date that I can remember is Biloxi where everyone there is so happy to see us its easy. Look at towns like Kenner, Point Pleasant or even Sarasota for that matter sometimes they just dont care. Even of they care we have to go up against everything else that happens around the town and world. You guys are a GREAT team and like Scotty said it will come with time.....but you also need to send out info about a week to two in advance. Then when you get to town phone call after phone call just to make sure they know you are there is the only way it happens. Also dont forget Ellen Greenleaf from OSS takes care of all their press and it nevers hurts to be on her all the time about what is going on. Marc and Scotty do a great job of talking to everyone I point them to. Even if I have never contacted them I still look for them. I am glad I got to know you guys over the past year and look forward to another great year!

skaterdave 12-09-2008 07:42 AM

????

Originally Posted by JBS (Post 2755387)
Its wierd-I could have sworn I was in key west with my team.I thought it might have been a dream beating Geico,Bud light,CRC and all the other teams there.When I awoke the trophies must have magicaly appeared-because according to every paper and magazine so far Geico,Bud,and Amsoil were the only teams there.
So thanks to everyone who loved JBS' equipment and all the teams that complimented me on a job well done-it means alot.So it seems JBS racing is only invisible to the media-which is dissapointing to me.I cant see going on with this just for the love of it.Its not worth it.If we had a sponsor (besides me) Im sure they would do the same.Even if JBS isnt racing we will get the same exposure.
So congratulations to eveyone that gets recognized-you have appeal and the ability to be seen-Im jealous.
As for JBS racing-Im not sure whats going to happen-I might just do poker runs-I know they get excellent exposure.

well somebody's gotta say so- SHUT UP AND STOP CRYING!.
THATS WHY THEY CALL IT RACING!!! somebody wins and everything else is last place. if you were doing all that for exposure than you should move over to poker runs. make a decision and live with it. if you wanna win races you should have the boat down in florida and be testing, testing and testing.

and peolpe wonder whats wrong with offshore racing??

stevequick 12-09-2008 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee (Post 2755605)
Maybe the press couldn't get all the EGO on one page?

You are funny and accurate. SQ