Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
Super Vee Role Call for Cocoa Beach? >

Super Vee Role Call for Cocoa Beach?

Notices

Super Vee Role Call for Cocoa Beach?

Old 03-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to see all of these boats taking the green flag together but the chance of that is pretty slim. Geographically it would be difficult and even though the hulls are all very similar, they are in two different classes. Hopefully the stock 525 guys, instead of going straight rebuild when it's time, step up their motors to the SBI spec. It's a lot to ask but I don't see SBI boats going backwards to stock. Until then we'll be running around in circles one thousand miles apart. The turnout always seemed to be good in OPA. I think SBI will have a pretty good turnout this year.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Registered

vortec bandit were you testing in lauderdale the other day?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the parity, short laps, seem to work out in Sarasota last year?

What if we could come up with a way to do this and run both motor packages for one year! Then the next year, all motors would have to go to one set of rules.

Maybe we could get OPA to adopt the SBI engine rules after the first year. It's not unheard of, both organizations already run identical rules in Super Cat! Also, OPA's Mercury seal rule is ridiculous now that the motors are getting older and are not even produced anymore! Mercury wants to much money to reseal a motor, as they will not just dyno and seal it, they insist on doing thier own rebuild before they dyno and then seal it.

OPA's 525 efi's can be easily and inexpensively upgraded to SBI's rules or you can build the 510 cubic inch carbureted motor cheaper than buying a used 525efi. I am not saying SBI's rules are perfect, just using them for reference.

If by some chance we could get the racers and sanctioning bodies to agree, we would have far greater turn out at both organizations events!

Another thought, If we could get over these egos and make this work, we would open ourselves up to greater TV coverage and more Sponsorship Opportunities! More sponsors equals more money to race, equals more teams racing, equals better racing, equals better coverage, equals more sponsors etc...

Super Vee/ SVL has the potential to be the next premiere class, right beside Super Cat!

Any racers wishing to talk directly can feel free the call me!

A.J.
239-443-8233

Last edited by 777offshore; 03-17-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

JD Byrider SVL is trying to rebuild but not sure when to return to race....Only time will tell.....

Chris
Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

AJ What boat did you race in A class and F1? Do we know each other? I have been pricing a new SBI carb motor and a top of the line motor with great parts is close to $25-$28 with out headers. If someone can show me a dyno sheet of a converted SBI legal Merc. 525 that makes between 650 -675HP and cost $7500 to do I think the guy's are all ears. No one up north wants to go to a gun fight with a knife. Is there a way to modify the SBI spec to have the motors make 550-575 HP so we are all on the same HP level? There are so many options that have been discussed over the years I think we all gave up on thinking it could ever happen.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
AJ What boat did you race in A class and F1? Do we know each other? I have been pricing a new SBI carb motor and a top of the line motor with great parts is close to $25-$28 with out headers. If someone can show me a dyno sheet of a converted SBI legal Merc. 525 that makes between 650 -675HP and cost $7500 to do I think the guy's are all ears. No one up north wants to go to a gun fight with a knife. Is there a way to modify the SBI spec to have the motors make 550-575 HP so we are all on the same HP level? There are so many options that have been discussed over the years I think we all gave up on thinking it could ever happen.
Randy,

To the best of our knowledge the SBI motors whether its the bumped 525 or the new spec are NOT putting out 650-675 hp.. Hey, we might be misinformed, please provide us with a dyno sheet of a SBI Spec motor putting out 650-675hp? The ballpark range that we are aware of is right around 625-640 hp. I just had my 500 efi converted to the new SBI Spec carb at the cost of $7,425.00 and i have all the accessories from it to turn around and sell.. They called last week and said the numbers were right on par with what I stated above just shy of 630, a little more tuning and I'll relay the numbers to you.

You see my cost, now keep in mind, you dont have to get heads like I did, you can still run your EFI so no carb or new intake purchase like I had to do, no MSD like I had to get, you dont have to get a new motor wiring harness, the list goes on and on of what you have already sitting there... The new spec motor was based off the 525 bumped specs in fact your heads have more flow than mine... The Merc 525 heads are at 316cc and the dart pro 1's for the carb spec are at 310cc. Im sure since Louie and Smitty have been running the bumped 525's for years now, they can give you a few tricks to get the most out of it...

As Chris said above and I totally agree, SBI is not going to go backwards, this has been in the works for the 3 years we have all known that the 525 was going to be discontinued, but keep in mind, you do not have to go out and get a new SBI carb motor, you can upgrade your current motor at a fraction of the cost. I appreciate the fact that you want to have an intelligent discussion and whatever info I have will be accessible to you for your disposal, I agree after what the 15 years of bickering and fighting got us where? no where, I aint asking to be your friend, but you have to agree, we do have the same goals: at least 15 boats lining up that are equal. I am not in any way asking OPA to change their rules to what we are doing down here, but after being on both sides of the fence, I made my choice of my direction. Hopefully you guys can work something out with Smitty that will promote the growth of the class up there , as well as you guys to come down here when and if you want, or even to do the MC, Mentor, LI swing with a little KW fun at the end. Your goal was to be apart of an affordable equal class, IMO SBI has accomplished that. Smitty and JC have both been very supportive of me racing both sides, Im sure they are the same way with LSB, BoatFloater and the rest of the class now its up to us, the racers

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 03-17-2016 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sfehrmann1460
vortec bandit were you testing in lauderdale the other day?
Yes
Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Registered

Randy, I ran my own Velocity for a few years in A-class, then I was Bob Bull's driver in A-class and F-1. I also raced with Bob Christies Ale House Team and for Steve Stepp in Velocity's Production E-class boat. I still hold the Kilo in that class after we beat Reggi and Little Reggi. I new Rick Turmell very well, but I do not believe we have ever met.

I stepped away from racing in 2001 to focus on my wife and children, now kids are grown and out of the house and I can go out and play again!

I am still looking at options but I got very good prices from Ron Sporl to build me a complete spec motor. I believe he told me around $18,000 but that was him providing all the parts minus exhaust. He can also convert your 525efi to a carbureted package for less. And then you can sell off the EFI, Cooling system, Harnesses etc.. for around $3500 after you are done. I have also talked to SBI about the possibility of using the 525 heads on the carb motor. They are almost identical to the dart heads. You should be able to convert your efi to a competitive carb package for around $7500 ( or less if you use your 525 heads) and after selling off the stuff you don't need, only have about $4000 into a fresh race engine.

Be careful what HP #'s you listen to, as I have learned for years, racers lie like hell and it's always over exaggerating!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered

I just spoke to Frank at Scorpion he said he could build a New spec SBI motorI for aprox. $20,000 to $22,000 completely dressed less exhaust. A new spec motor not dressed will be a few thousand less. Frank said from the motors he has dyno, the motors will be between 625HP-650HP.Frank can also bump a 525 to be competitive with the new spec motor, for much less. Frank is a World Class motor builder, that builds some of the best motors in numerous classes that have all won World Championships.

Anyone interested in contracting Frank call me and I would be happy to give you his number.
321 693-0023
Old 03-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 777offshore
What makes you think Doc is going to race? Haven't seen anything from him in over a year other than trying to sell the boat. Do you know something we don't?

Where is everyone else? I can't believe we have gotten so few responses from racers, is it "Top Secret" what everyone's plans are? Typhoon, what are you going to do?

How about Lily Sport Boats and Charlie McCarthy?

What do you say we all start making an effort to show up and make this class bigger than Super Cat! There are at least 20 Super Vee Boats across the country and we can't seem to get more than 4 to show up!
AJ
I been trying to sort out your role in the SVL group ( SBI/OPA) for a few days.
Now I remember, ................you contacted me a year ago, about wanting to purchase the OL-29, but had not resources, I had reach out to B Bull to get background

good luck this year

Doc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.