Notices

Deerfield Race

Old 10-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 797 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Re: Deerfield Race

No kiddin' Frank. I thought about gettin' out and closing it but I was too busy trying to stay IN the boat. No BS, on the 9th lap we hit a hole and I was STANDING in the boat for a few seconds. Also, I went to pull the lap tape on lap 4, I look down at the tape and hear the sound of SILENCE(we were airborne), I was able to pull the tape and get my eyes back on the water before we LANDED!! 2-3 FULL seconds in the air. Then OUCH!

It was a blast though. I enjoyed it more than Sarasota.

Greg
Old 10-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default News Article

Posted on Mon, Oct. 11, 2004

Bacardi Silver tops 58 boats

BY SUSAN COCKING
[email protected]

Bacardi Silver, throttled by Aventura's John Tomlinson and driven by Chris Hanley of Edwardsville, Ill., cruised to an easy overall win in Sunday's Fountain Deerfield Beach Super Boat National Championship.

Bacardi Silver topped the fleet of 59 boats, averaging 88.59 mph in choppy seas to complete the 94.4-mile course in 1:03:56.

Callan Marine -- Bacardi's only competition in the Superboat Unlimited class -- dropped out in the second lap with mechanical problems, allowing the front-runner to slow down and complete the race.

''We ran the first two laps really hard,'' Tomlinson said. ``After that we didn't need to. I'm not really happy with this boat in rough water. It's a great boat, but you always feel you could go faster.''

Sunday's race proved a double victory for throttleman Gary Ballough of Boca Raton. First, he throttled Mapei to first place in the Superboat Stock class with driver Mike Majhess, also of Boca Raton. In the second race, Ballough substituted aboard Miccosukee Indian Gaming for absent throttleman Wyatt Fountain, helping driver Brett Furshman of Coral Springs to victory in the Superboat Vee Limited class.

Miccosukee topped its nine-boat class, despite losing its aft hatch cover during the eighth lap. A Sea Tow boat recovered it and turned it over to the crew at the end of the race.

''We can't see our hatch cover, so I didn't find out about it till four laps later when my girlfriend called me on the radio,'' Furshman said.

Many of Sunday's competitors will meet again next month at the Key West World Championships.

FOUNTAIN DEERFIELD BEACH SUPER BOAT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

(Class, distance, boat name, average speed, finishing time)

Superboat Unlimited (94.4 miles): Bacardi Silver, 88.59; 1:03:56. Superboat Cat (94.4 miles): Pro Marine, 85.13; 33.16 (in eight laps). Superboat Limited Cat (76.7 miles): Team CRC, 79.62; 57:48. Superboat Vee (94.4 miles): Rio Roses, 82.25; 1:08:52. Superboat Vee Limited (76.7 miles): 1. Miccosukee Indian Gaming: 77.43, 59:26; 2. Pier 57, 77.02; 59:45; 3. Muscle, 76.55; 1:00:07. Factory 2 (53.1 miles): 1. JBS Racing, 70.46; 45:13; 2. Simmons Racing, 51.41; 1:01:58. Manufacturer Production 1 (35.4 miles): 1. TKO Obsession, 74.31; 28:35; 2. Outlaw, 70.21; 30:15. Manufacturer Production 2 (35.4 miles): 1. JBS Racing, 70.53; 30:07. Superboat Stock (59 miles): 1. Mapei, 72.29; 48:58; 2. Kinetic Animation.com, 70.35; 50:19; 3. Deep V Cats, 70.31; 50:21. Superboat Vee Light (35.4 miles): 1. Extreme Vortec, 62.62; 33:55. Offshore A (35.4 miles): Pittman Photo, 55.60; 38:12. Factory 1 (47.2 miles): Team SV Ballard Const., 62.31; 45:27. Manufacturer Production 3 (35.4 miles): 1. Team Fortress, 69.53; 30:33; 2. Team Taboo, 66.48; 31:57. Manufacturer Production 4 (35.4 miles): 1. Herbott Racing, 59.75; 35:33; 2. Konrad Fountain of Youth, 58.81; 36:07; 3. Extream Liquid Assets, 57.22; 37:07. Manufacturer Production 3 (35.4 miles): 1. Kean University Cougars, 50.61; 41:58; 2. Carrabba's Team Blythe, 50.59; 41:59; 3. Great Adventure, 46.92; 45:16.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another article

Ballough doubles fun with pair of victories

By Steve Waters
Staff Writer
Posted October 11 2004

Deerfield Beach - Gary Ballough had so much fun winning in front of his hometown fans, he did it twice.

Ballough, of Boca Raton, handled the throttle while his neighbor Mike Majhess drove their boat Mapei to an impressive victory in the Super Stock class in the Super Boat International National Championship on Sunday afternoon. That triumph also appeared to give them their third straight national title, although that won't be officially announced until the world championships next month in Key West.

As soon as Mapei returned to the boat launch, Ballough hopped into Miccosukee Indian Gaming with driver Brett Furshman of Coral Springs and they handily won the Superboat Vee Limited class.

"Brett walked over [Sunday morning] and asked, `What are you doing after your stock class race?'" Ballough said. "I said, `Hopefully, I'll be celebrating.' He said, `How'd you like to race my boat?'"

Furshman's throttleman, Wyatt Fountain, was unable to make the race. Since Mapei was competing in the first race of the day, Ballough had just enough time to switch boats and race with Furshman in the second race.

"I jumped out of Mapei into Brett's boat, made sure the helmet fit, went out and went back to my roots," said Ballough, who started his racing career in a Vee boat.

"It took me a lap and a half to get the hang of it. I was lucky that Brett and his crew had the boat set up correctly."

Miccosukee Indian Gaming even survived the loss of the hatch that covers its motors. The hatch broke off and landed on the racecourse. It was recovered by a Sea Tow boat and returned after the race.

"Brett was talking to me about the hatch," Ballough said. "I said, `What about the hatch?' He said, `We lost it a couple of laps ago.' I couldn't tell any difference."

Ballough happily noticed the difference in Mapei's performance. After a season plagued by bad luck and breakdowns, the boat ran flawlessly in winning its first race of the year.

"If ever we're going to win, we want to win here," Ballough said. "All our family, friends and neighbors are here. Even our sponsor, Mapei, is from here. This victory is for them."

"To overcome the adversity that we've had this year and to have Mapei kind of assure us that setbacks or no setbacks, they'd be there for us next year, it's nice to come through for them," Majhess added.

Mapei led from the start of the race and was closely followed by The Hulk, which trailed Bermuda Berry Cuda by just 17 points in the Super Stock class standings. Mapei trailed by 152 points.

The Hulk appeared to break a motor mount and dropped out after four laps. Bermuda Berry Cuda moved into second, but it lost one of its engines when a fuel pump bracket broke on the eighth lap of the 10-lap race and the boat finished sixth. In the unofficial results, Mapei picked up 209 points on Bermuda Berry Cuda, more than enough for a third national championship.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Deerfield Race

Congrats to Everyone in Deerfield!!! It was great to see some people I havent seen in a while, and meet some new ones!!!

Bobby,

Did you get any pics of Scotts Boat, Kean 24 pantera. I didnt even open the camera bag 'til Sunday morning, and when I did, the battery was dead. I took a bunch from the roof of a building right at the start/finish line with a friends camera, but it may be a while 'til I get them. Anything you have would be great.

Rick