New Guy with Questions >

New Guy with Questions

Notices

New Guy with Questions

Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: New Guy with Questions

That is correct superbabi,i was in the Bahamas last week,tried to get to Key West,but that didn't happen tripps
Old 11-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
That is correct superbabi,i was in the Bahamas last week,tried to get to Key West,but that didn't happen tripps
We were there the week before you tripps, where did you stay ???
Old 11-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat the timing cover should come off with just loosening the pan bolts not lowering the cover. Done it many times over the years. As for valves I dont believe that motor would come with the good valves that he needs. Ive broken more than one valve in my day. I would agree with you on heads dont buy used junk. Now for the cam Im looking tonight for the merc 575 cam specs. It pulled hard to 5700 rpm for me. If he has the stock merc aluminam dualplain intake , that will work great to 5500 add a 1 inch spacer. if its a spread bore intake they sell an adaptor spacer for that to put a holley on it properly. A cam/valves/carb =450-475hp
Old 11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
Pat the timing cover should come off with just loosening the pan bolts not lowering the cover. Done it many times over the years. As for valves I dont believe that motor would come with the good valves that he needs. Ive broken more than one valve in my day. I would agree with you on heads dont buy used junk. Now for the cam Im looking tonight for the merc 575 cam specs. It pulled hard to 5700 rpm for me. If he has the stock merc aluminam dualplain intake , that will work great to 5500 add a 1 inch spacer. if its a spread bore intake they sell an adaptor spacer for that to put a holley on it properly. A cam/valves/carb =450-475hp
Zup, if the engine is a Gen VI like mine, you will end up leaving the pan hanging by just a couple of bolts at the rear to get the timing cover off. Lucky the back seat comes out on the 24 Super to give good access. I still would pull the engine next time...
I was told by two builders last year that the stock valves in the magnums are ss intake and a 2 piece inconel exhaust. No, not as good as Manley severe duty.
The Merc 575 cam is about the biggest hydraulic flat tappet cam that will work well. A great choice to boost a Gen V 454 to make power all the way past 5800rpm. Like you said yesterday Zup, you need the long risers to run it though.
The intake that is on a 1995 454mag is a spread bore with a 1" 4 hole spacer under a 750 cfm Carter carb. A Holley or BG will go right in place of the Carter, but for higher RPM I would suggest an open spacer. What do you think Zup?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Superbabi,we stayed at the Harborside which is a part of Atlantis,too bad the water up here isn't as nice as the water down there!!! I'm goin next year the week you went,are you goin that week again?? tripps
Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tripps
Superbabi,we stayed at the Harborside which is a part of Atlantis,too bad the water up here isn't as nice as the water down there!!! I'm goin next year the week you went,are you goin that week again?? tripps
We stayed at the RIU ( old sheraton ) Very nice, right on the ocean !!! Tripps is the harborside the 2-3 story units, multi colors, directly on the harbor ????

Last edited by Superbabi; 11-23-2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The spacer to buy is a 4 hole tapered spacer. They work the best torque. My bud built a 496 with a 750cfm for a guy that didnt want to buy a carb and made like 565hp. Carb was way to small. The builder said he will buy an 850 and if the power doesnt inprove he will eat the the carb. On the redyno it went for 565hp to 590hp and the customer was very happy to pay for the carb. So my though is an 850 double pumper with big acc pumps. Now for the intake, if your going to spin your 200 hr motor that you know nothing about the history of at 5000rpm go with the duel plenam. If your going to be brave and spin it around 5600 then go with the open plenam.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered

OK, It does not look like I will be replacing the lower half anytime soon, so so I guess more power is not an option. I was really trying to make a difference with only around $3,000. Looks like I will need at least double to triple that. My question now would be, is my boat worth that type of upgrade? I know a lot of you guys are doing it. This is a lot to think about.

I have always wanted to race, can this boat compete in a P5 class the way it is? What would I need to do, to prep this boat to run P5/P4?

Please don't dell me replace the lower half. (lol)

Thanks,
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
OK, It does not look like I will be replacing the lower half anytime soon, so so I guess more power is not an option. I was really trying to make a difference with only around $3,000. Looks like I will need at least double to triple that. My question now would be, is my boat worth that type of upgrade? I know a lot of you guys are doing it. This is a lot to think about.
I have always wanted to race, can this boat compete in a P5 class the way it is? What would I need to do, to prep this boat to run P5/P4?
Thanks,
Razor, I did a basically stock rebuild on my 502 last winter for about $2,000.
This included the following from a local machine shop/builder:
-clean, hone, install new freeze plugs, and cam bearing in the block $200.
-the heads were cleaned, mag'd, milled 0.010, bowl ported, valve job, new springs, retainers, locks, and assembled $800.
Then I bought new rings, bearings, a Merc gasket set ($450), and an oil pump for about $900 total. Throw in and $100 misc. I bolted it together myself...
Now for another $1200, the engine builder would have assembled the entire engine and given me a 1 yr warranty on the long block, but what fun would that have been...
Razor, I believe you could do a vary nice build up on your engine for between $3,000 and $4000. If you want to risk it and leave the bottom alone then $1500 in parts can give her a little more kick.
Anther 50HP will give you +4 to 5mph, another 100HP +7 to 8mph.
As far as racing, P-5 has a 70mph limit, but I think the boat is too small. Ask fasteddie...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Registered

Thanks Again,
I do not feel I could pull and place the engine myself. I am really not to worried about the lower half blowing, especially with a 50 HP increase. But if I will have to pull the engine to change the cam, I don't know.

I just back through all the older stuff you wrote, looks like you did a lot. I wonder if I should be bunning a 26" Bravo1 prop?

Quick Reply: New Guy with Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.