Extension Boxes >

Extension Boxes

Notices

Extension Boxes

Old 12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension Boxes

I have read all the posts but can not seem to find what the outcome was?

Was their any positives to the 12" extension?
Did it required changing the X dimension?
Did it gain any speed?
What did it do for rough water handeling?

Again, I have a 24' without steps or a notch.
Just trying to figure out what all my options are.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Extension Boxes

Razor,
I don't know of anyone that has put an extension box on a 24' Superboat.
On the 30' Supers, it was a plus for the Zuperboat but a minus for Jcap's boat.
I had though about adding one until I learnd that my external steering rams were too long.
I would bet that a 12" neutral extension box with a 2" short drive would be a possitive on a 24' Super. I beleive it would improve the rough water handling because it would lengthen the boat a bit. And the prop would be move to "cleaner" water so the boat would likely be a bit faster.
It is an expensive proposistion though...
Full hydraulic twim ram steering, extention box & drive line mods, and a short lower drive unit.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would I have to modify on the drive lines? I figured I would ask. If I am making the switch to hydraulic steering, I thought this looked like a really nice setup. I have not looked into the cost yet.

If I installed a 2" short drive, wouldn't it be hard to get the bow up?

I have the happit of making changes and not doing it the way I should have in the first place, and paying a lot more for the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails Extension Boxes-zeiger.gif  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
What would I have to modify on the drive lines? I figured I would ask. If I am making the switch to hydraulic steering, I thought this looked like a really nice setup. I have not looked into the cost yet.

If I installed a 2" short drive, wouldn't it be hard to get the bow up?

I have the happit of making changes and not doing it the way I should have in the first place, and paying a lot more for the finished product.
If you use an Imco box, the shaft on the drive that goes through the gimble will need to be changed to a longer one; it's part of the Imco kit.
If you use a Stellings box, the coupler on the engine changes and also the shaft from the drive.
I don't think there would be a problem carrying the bow with a 12" extension box and short drive, the drive on the 24s is pretty low to start. With an extension a short drive is the norm; swapping the drive lower is the easy part.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RAZOR Imco stuff is nice and was on my boat when I bought it. I really think it made my boat run like it did. If you get 2-3 mph out of the box and short drive that will be alot. Call imco and get prices but make sure your sitting down. Jeff from JC performance has an old 24 running 100 with the drive very high no box and no notch. Has big power and a herring 6 blade. Best bang for the buck is to come to my house with 6k, bolt it into your 24 and my guess is 85-90 mph.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Mercury ITS Box Is A Real Nice Unit/// Installed One On OH ZONES Boat And I Am Putting One On My New Boat
Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much does one of those puppies go for, ITS box ? Like a mini #6 And remember for every 9 inches back equates to 1 inch down .
Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lightspeed
The Mercury ITS Box Is A Real Nice Unit/// Installed One On OH ZONES Boat And I Am Putting One On My New Boat

Did Oh Zone run the boat without the ITS? I would like to hear before and after comparisons
Old 12-13-2005, 09:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Did Oh Zone run the boat without the ITS? I would like to hear before and after comparisons
Oh-Zone's boat was rigged with the ITS from the start and I would highly doubt he would remove it for a comparison.

The numbers from the shoot out with Activator would indicate that Oh-Zone's boat runs about the same as JCjrs old boat with the same power and no extension box.

That ITS system is a real nice clean package though...
Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I have yet to see any performance gains. I did raise the X 1" so the center of the bullet is 2 3/4" below the lowest part of the hull. Mine had ITS from the get go..... I did the ITS for the clean transome. No seperate steering rams...

Quick Reply: Extension Boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.