SB Speeds @ hp

Notices

SB Speeds @ hp

Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys -

I may have to give Mr. Potter a call to see what's what, right now my new business has me tied up tight, but I look at the water every morning and can't wait to dust off Once Bitten. Chris, yeah, the SB is awesome, there is no doubt. I knew the 496 would be a bit light for speed initially, but I can't say it hasn't still been a blast. It's quite a trip also to boast a 300 mile range on 100 gallons, all while running near WOT through our snotty bay system. I boat in conditions near identical to Long Island areas, with our bay being 9-11' deep with constant SW winds creating short chop. The Houston Ship Channel runs right up the middle and often you get surprised by launching off a tanker wake which can be 6-10'. These rogue waves break throughout our bay and can catch you if you're not paying attention. So, all that said I would still like to be able to cruise in the mid 80's with the occaisional "extra" blast to fly by a few others out there.....
Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Keith what type of weather ( Temps ) do you see this time of the year ??
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry - my house was being completely re-textured and painted (Hurricane Ike repairs), so my computers were down most of last week.

Gary, it's getting boating season temps here - 50's at night, mid 70's in the afternoons, but winds are strong and we'll head into our rainy season Mar-May. I expect to get the boat out any given weekend here and burn some fresh fuel through it, then change all fluids and filters. After that ITS GO TIME!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Keith, with temps like that, I WOULD BE BOATING !!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No doubt, but those pesky home repairs are near finished - having two feet of water in your house causes all sorts of issues, and then dealing with five (yes, five) insurance companies, well, what can you say? Unfortunately the boating had to wait, BUT NO MORE! In two weeks we're finished!!! We'll be out there......
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by krakmeup
No doubt, but those pesky home repairs are near finished - having two feet of water in your house causes all sorts of issues, and then dealing with five (yes, five) insurance companies, well, what can you say? Unfortunately the boating had to wait, BUT NO MORE! In two weeks we're finished!!! We'll be out there......
Keith, we live on the water also, and sometimes its an uneasy feeling. Best of luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Flooring crew finishes this week, the detailer is coming to wax the SB (so she'll go faster thru the water ) this weekend, and warm temps are in the forecast!!! - sorry to hear about the Nor'Easter just hitting NY area, we'll tip back a cold one for y'all......
Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did we ever figure out what a Y2K would do with a pair of staggered 496,s. I have a freind that has a pair of 496HO,s like new very very cheap. One motor comes with a good gimble and bravo . I bet 2 motors 1 drive and 1 gimbal could be had for under 15k. I think its time for the first staggered Y2K
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I dunno.....
850 hp (425 x 2) but added weight of ~600-800# (??) I'll bet you'd not see the 90's. Besides that, one of the selling features of the SB was one engine, but yet as fast as those with two, at better mpg no less! I like the single, but I know any larger boat and I'll be pony-ing up for two of everything....
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your rite. Boat should run in the 90s. I dont remember what the twin small block boat ever finally ran. I think that was something like 85. Totally stock !! Drop in some strokers and short drives and it would be well over 100 !!

Quick Reply: SB Speeds @ hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.