Y2K Info for Newbie >

Y2K Info for Newbie

Notices

Y2K Info for Newbie

Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y2K Info for Newbie

Looking for opinions on a 30' for sale. Three previous owners who all knew each other and I know the current one, close family friend. Mid 2000's manufacture date, 400 hours, single 496 HO, Bravo Drive, K Planes, and pretty mint cabin and cockpit for the age of the boat. Current owner will let it go to me for $53K before listing online, he is sending me survey shortly. Since there is no NADA it can be hard to find pricing in the market, so just don't want to make a major mistake as this would be my first offshore capable boat. Anything I should look for in the survey in particular with these boats? I would be using it mostly for pleasure (cruising Tampa Bay, bar/restaurant hoping, hitting up local small islands like Beer Can) although would also like to enter some Poker Runs for fun as time allows and even make a yearly trip to the Bahamas from SFLA. Also, I am not mechanically inclined so would need something that isn't very expensive for general maintenance. I also would have to keep at a marina full time since I do not have the space to store on a trailer. Thank you - this is my first post on OSO!

Last edited by ShawnW; 03-01-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

No disrespect to the current owner but I would not use his survey as the only survey. I would have your own done.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
No disrespect to the current owner but I would not use his survey as the only survey. I would have your own done.
Great advice, thank you. I am going to have to get one anyway as my lender requires it to be <1 year old, his is 15 months old. His survey came out to $50K, just received it.

Last edited by ShawnW; 03-01-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

The 496 is a nice low maintenance engine.
The 496 magnum is 375 hp and the 496 ho is 425 hp. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker from reading your requirements but the bigger hp option will always be easier to sell down the track. There's one advertised with the magnum (ad was linked on another thread) that looked pretty clean but smaller engine usually means smaller price. That said, there's never a lot advertised so value may be hard to determine.

Not a lot of help.......sorry!

RR
Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 PM
Registered

I think all things considered, that's a decent price for a Y2K even with a 496. There are plenty of notable boats in that size range listed for more money that (some opinions) may not compare to Y2K's. They seem to be hard to find used as well. Good luck and hope to see you out here this summer if it works out for you!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Registered

Thanks rak rua and CJSYD for your replies! I should have noted that it is the HO. My newness showing through already!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

What boat are you looking at? Is it the formally "Once bitten" boat? Other than the 496, how is it equipped? I assume it has 380 k-planes, full steering? Trailer? Race layup? Bravo XR, X, ? Hours on motor? 10+ yr. old powertrain might need some attention. Y2Ks, or most boats like this can vary widely in price due to the options.

EDIT: I guess you are talking about the boat in FL. that's on LI Craiglist? It seems OSO won't let me post the link.

Last edited by Dave M; 03-02-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

its 2004 with 375 hp 496 Merc ----- the LI listing on CL but the boat is located in FL. Its listed price is 51500 on CL and IMO that is too much $ for that boat.

As far as NADA ---- they only show up to 2000 year model and not a Y2K. But anyways just to show how cheap a 2000 is from NADA listing,

NADA really does not give high values for sportboats for most of those listings. AGAIN I UNDERSTAND its not the same boat from NADA. Its a 2000 as NADA stops at that year model. Its just for reference.

Also maybe one can look under a 2004 Sunsation, a 288 model for a comparable value in NADA. Some banks do that also and so does a few insurance companies.

And in 2011 Superboat had great pricing. pretty darn cheap pricing in 2011. Surprised not seeing any 2011 listed anywhere for sale. Prob why the discounted sale price to see if they could get some volume sales.

Superboat - Boat Special of the Month

NADA for 2000 30 non Y2k. just prob what the bank will look at something for reference.

2000 Superboats 30 TEMPEST/OS Standard Equipment, Boat Value, Boat Price & Craft Specs NADAguides

Last edited by BUP; 03-03-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
What boat are you looking at? Is it the formally "Once bitten" boat? Other than the 496, how is it equipped? I assume it has 380 k-planes, full steering? Trailer? Race layup? Bravo XR, X, ? Hours on motor? 10+ yr. old powertrain might need some attention. Y2Ks, or most boats like this can vary widely in price due to the options.

EDIT: I guess you are talking about the boat in FL. that's on LI Craiglist? It seems OSO won't let me post the link.
its definetly not Once Bitten since that boat is back on long island and has been completely redone by the current owner Steve....