Y2K setup

Old 12-22-2019, 11:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My prop shaft was 3 1/2” below the bottom. I tried a 1” spacer and ran 1 season and took it off. There are a lot of theories out there. You can go back to the “Y2K setup thread” I assume you have external steering already, use the box you have.

Last edited by SUPERSTITIOUS; 12-22-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

A video of my running attitude.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Page 64 of superboat forum. Y2K set ups. Not sure how to post the link
Old 12-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Iflylow57 View Post
Occjoe. I read the thread on your boat. I’m jealous nice work! As far as mine goes am I to read between the lines and understand sell off my boxes and go get an ITS? Or go with “run what you brung” theory and slap the stelling on. The integrated steering arms while nice don’t close the deal for me. I don’t mind the the “current look” at all and unless I am missing something it would appear to me that the only real advantage of the ITS over other boxes is one of “ one stop shop, clean looks”
So to clarify one thing, extending drive out behind the boat does not make speed. It makes the boat handle like a bigger boat. In the end what works on one Superboat might not work on another. Hand laid boats from vintage molds that shift from one layup to the next are never gonna be the same plus there’s always the Bacardi factor to take into account.
Trial and error and always trying new things make a big difference. My boat is 13+ MPH faster then it was when I bought it with the exact same motor and HP.
I’ve got a 1350 blower motor I bought for my pantera but the idea of how fast my Y2K would go with another 550hp is kinda scary. I’m thinking 135mph range. But nah I’m good.
Good luck
Old 12-28-2019, 04:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by occjoe View Post
so to clarify one thing, extending drive out behind the boat does not make speed. It makes the boat handle like a bigger boat. In the end what works on one superboat might not work on another. Hand laid boats from vintage molds that shift from one layup to the next are never gonna be the same plus there’s always the bacardi factor to take into account.
Trial and error and always trying new things make a big difference. My boat is 13+ mph faster then it was when i bought it with the exact same motor and hp.
I’ve got a 1350 blower motor i bought for my pantera but the idea of how fast my y2k would go with another 550hp is kinda scary. I’m thinking 135mph range. But nah i’m good.
Good luck
lol
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Registered

Occjoe, Bacadi factor HA! So i was under the impression that a box would help with speed due to the prop being in "cleaner water" I am most definitely still learning thank you for the clarification, aside from more stability in straight line running what are the advantages of making the boat think its longer?
Superstitious, I measured the drive last night and you will have to bare with me as some of my lingo is not up to par...
The prop shaft is 7-9/16 below the flat area behind the plug and 1-1/16 below the lowest point of the hull. Whats all yalls thoughts to high? just right? only time will tell? I read the Y2K setup thread and it looked like the group consensus was to keep it "lower" however there were not any actual measurements given so i am most certainly looking for yalls input both on the box and the prop height, Occjoe you made a very strong point about the ever-changing (all be it small changes) molds. As always thank yall for the input and help
Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

To me it sounds like it’s on the high side, I am by no means an authority, just my opinion. Have you any experience running it at that height? Obviously getting out of the hole, being able to carry the bow as well as excess prop slip may be an issue. I would think a five blade without a defuser ring would work to your advantage. As Occjoe states, a lot of trial and error, sometimes with mixed results. In essence the extension box is like putting you outdrive deeper as water rises off the transom. There are lots of opinions out there you can always call John Coen at Superboat get his opinion as well. I believe John Junior and his friend are running their Y2K race boat, which I believe is the same vintage as yours, with the same bottom, no extension box with a IMCO -2 shortie. I’m sure he’d be able to give you some specifics.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 AM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

very impressive numbers... 107? I set up many of the y2ks spent countless hrs on my own boat. I might need som tips

Last edited by T-Mone; 02-13-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 02-13-2020, 08:56 AM
T-Mone
Platinum Member

did you run it w no box yet??