Ballast bag. >

Ballast bag.

Notices

Ballast bag.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ballast bag.

I purchased a 2008 24 Millennium CC with a 2015 300XS on a bracket back in October. Loving the boat. Both the prior owner and John at Superboat have told me that in rougher water (pretty common here) that itíd be beneficial to run ballast forward.
The boat came with a ballast bag, the kind the wake boarders use. Also included was an 800gph bump to, I assume empty the bag.
Iíve got questions on 1, where to put it. Close to the CG, or way forward? Either way itíll fit in the bilge. I know with race cars we always wanted the weight close to the CG (lower polar moment of inertia), but I can see where further forward would possibly be the most effective location.
Also Iím curious about general setup of the system. Thereís a 2nd bilge pump in the forward bilge compartments and I could possibly utilize the though hull from that one for the drain line off the bag pump.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 30í came with a 2nd 62 gallon fuel tank that is located in the center of the boat and extends from the dash forward.
Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
I purchased a 2008 24 Millennium CC with a 2015 300XS on a bracket back in October. Loving the boat. Both the prior owner and John at Superboat have told me that in rougher water (pretty common here) that itíd be beneficial to run ballast forward.
The boat came with a ballast bag, the kind the wake boarders use. Also included was an 800gph bump to, I assume empty the bag.
Iíve got questions on 1, where to put it. Close to the CG, or way forward? Either way itíll fit in the bilge. I know with race cars we always wanted the weight close to the CG (lower polar moment of inertia), but I can see where further forward would possibly be the most effective location.
Also Iím curious about general setup of the system. Thereís a 2nd bilge pump in the forward bilge compartments and I could possibly utilize the though hull from that one for the drain line off the bag pump.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

Being that itís a bag you can try it out and find out what suits you best but I know they tend to throw weight in the nose of boats to reduce the flightiness. As per Johnís suggestion I am putting a ballast tank in my 30 Y2K/outboards, and that is located all the way forward. if your thumb through my build thread you can take a look. Good luck with your new ride should be a fun boat!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:03 AM
Registered

Thanks. I’m putting it in this morning. I’ll slide it as far forward as possible and see how it works out. Thinking of crossing the sound over to Hilton Head for lunch today. There might be a swell coming in off the Atlantic to test how it works.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

Let us know how you make out! Get that post count up, we need pics. And remember, it didn't happen if there's no pictures!
Old 01-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Registered

Well it was a pretty glassy day yesterday and not really a good test of the added weight. Just a light chop on the way back from lunch. The boat did seem more “solid” feeling. Used a bit more up trim to hit the sweet spot.
Can’t complain about a sunny 60į Day in late January though.
Just a few more posts and I’ll be pic and video time.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Registered

OK, was a little breezier today. Close to 2’ closely spaced swells coming in off the Atlantic. Running 40-45 into it with my wife in the boat. She noticed it was riding a lot flatter and smother. I noticed this as well as the boat tracking better.
Ive got the bag about 1/2 full, so @ 125 pounds.