Notices

Cockpit and Cabin Drains

Old 04-30-2003, 08:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Cockpit and Cabin Drains

Hi Guys and Gals,
Well, I've made quite a mess of the inside of my boat working on her the last few days. Looking around the cabin and the cockpit I do not see any drains. I cant image the I'm to bail or sponge the water out after giving her a bath. I guess the water will make its way under or around the rear seat to drain the cockpit but the cabin will just fill up.
I would like to drill a few drain holes and install some brass sleeves, but I'm not sure were to drill.
Anyone have a 24' with drains ??? Any suggestions ???
Thanks, Patrick
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I think you're right about the cockpit. It just runs underneath the rear seat into the bilge. I don't have a drain in my cabin either.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful! Im not sure about the 24 but you cannot add cabin drains in the 30.The hull is cored in such a way that water would get trapped and waterlog the hull.I have talked to John C. about this and he confirmed that drains cannot be added ,call him before you do any drilling!
good luck
Old 04-30-2003, 06:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the insight jcap.

I will not drill any holes in my cabin floor. Need to keep my dirty feet out I guess. As for the cockpit, I was thinking of adding drains with pipes extending past the last stringer and leading into the bilge. Maybe I'll just cut a couple of notches under the rear seat for better flow. I'll definitely bug John before I do anything. I do find it strange that the water can get trapped though. All of the other boats that I have owned, have had a pipe cast through each stringer at the V so that water can not get trapped. Never had a Superboat before.

jcap, are you looking to go 100 ???

I should let zuperboat speak for himself, but I do recall a few things about his boat from a couple of conversations we had. He has one of the only, if not the only, 30' with a stepped bottom and old style deck. He had a 600HP/540 in her last I new. I think he told me she had a -1" short drive and an extension box. I do remember that he told me she ran in the mid 80's.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Registered

I am shooting for triple digits, and yes he does hav the only stepped hull with an old style deck, and i believe his boat was originally tested by my engine builder (MRD racing) and it ran very close to triple digits the very first pass ! It was originally rigged with a blower motor , and I think he may have the perfect set up.John is using a very high x dim on most hulls mine included, I also think he is not running a 1.5 ratio. His boat at 85 and naturally asp. would be running as fast as mine with a procharger. Where are ya zup!
jim
Old 04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Registered

very low x dim is what i ment , i think the shorty and raising my x will help
Old 04-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

THE MOTOR WAS NEVER DYNOED AND MY NEW GUESTAMATED HP NUMBER FROM SOME RESEARCH IVE DONE IS ABOUT 575.I DONT THINK A PROP CAN EVER BE TO HIGH,JUST ADD SOME DIAMETER TO THE PROP.THEN AGAIN DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW