Notices

Overkill?

Old 01-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overkill?

Do you guys think installing another battery with a swith is overkill?

I do alot of weekending and I plan on installing a stereo and a cig lighter (for the Gps) this spring, along with other motor goodies if I keep her. I was just wondering if you guys ever had a problem with the one battery and extra accessories?

Also, Flapper/Exhaust tips?...I have the originals , what is a good rule of thumb for replacement and or service of the internal flappers? I get nervous of water coming up those pipes everytime I back her down the ramp... any suggestions ???

Also (again).... Whats the best bang for buck, for more HP ? Will a Pro-Charger shorten the life of the 454 MPI?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Sean,

Happy New Year!

I asked Dave M. the same battery question last year, and stayed with one battery. So long as your charging system is good and the battery is strong, you won't have any problems unless you leave your stereo on overnight.
If your exhaust tips have rubber internal flappers, they will burn up in a couple of seasons. You can have stainless internal flappers welded into your existing tips or buy a new set with stainless flappers in them. I bought mine from Eddie Marine for less than $100. I am so paranoid about getting water in that I have both internal and external flappers...
I would not spend the big $$ ($6,000+) on a supper charger. A 24' Superboat will run between 80-85mph with 500HP. 85mph is about the max the hull can hadle. Your engine can be reworked to make 500HP for a lot less $$ than a supercharger. Also, if you are going to go much faster than the 74mph you go now, you will need full hydraulic steering.
Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I think one battery is good enough unless your into big amps and subs. I don't use my stereo that much. I can't hear it when I am running between the wind and the motor. If I play the stereo for a couple hours I never had a problem with the engine starting.

By the way, for my GPS .....

I installed the mounting bracket on top of the dash. Then I installed a 12V socket behind the dash. Then I cut the power cable, fed it through a hole just big enough for it to fit and then spliced it back together. It is a nice clean look, no wires dangling.

I agree with Patrick about the engine. I wouldn't get involved in the headaches of a blower. 500 HP is all you need for the '24. You know the saying "If it has BOOBS or BLOWERS, you will have problems with it"!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Superboat

Sean:

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Best regards and happy new year,
John

Old 01-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Registered

Hey John! Happy 2004! Hope all is well and I will call you in a couple of hours....

Happy New Year Fellas and Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions. I guess I'll go ahead and leave the single battery set-up and just carry one of those quick jump packs for the weekends.
Pat, I'm thinking of the same thing. I was going to do the internal and external flapper tips for the extra piece of mind. I got "burnt" once (pardon the pun).
I also was going to install a hydraulic helm w/ the second mayfair assembly.
I really would like more HP so I can throw the tabs down and not loose an ounce of speed!!!
I'd also like to try a labbed 4- blade prop out too. Does anybody know of a shop that lets you try them out? What if you get a prop labbed and it doesnt work to your expectations? are you screwed?

Ciao!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey Sean,

A 26 Bravo 1 right out of the box works well for me. I only lost .5 mph over my best speed with the Mirage Plus. Who knows, I may have a little to gain by labbing my prop. I think I am dialed in pretty good right know. I see what your saying about the tabs. In order to get speeds above 70 I have to have the tabs all the way up and trimmed to the moon.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Sean,
Don't waste your money on a "labbed" prop. The stock 26p Bravo works just as well. No one I have talk to has gained much with labbing...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered

Default Pat & Dave

I just checked out my Mirage, its a 25p . Was that what your boats came with as well? Do you think the stepbottom will make a difference? what should I expect to pay for the Bravo 1?
Theres a post in Advertisers marketplace on OSO from Throttle up Props and there selling test props for $350. w/solid hub kits .. check it out, lemme know what ya think.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=68071
Old 01-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean, you ready to stop fooling around and put my motor in your boat?
Attached Thumbnails Overkill?-eng-1.jpg  
Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

Default it matches my boat too!

Whatcha got there Plot? How many ponies ? PM me.. You should have sold me your 28 Pant.
Do anything with the new one yet? I need to talk to you about your marina too? If I upgrade, I'm not trailering any more.. I want a hoist and a slip over there..

Quick Reply: Overkill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.