Notices

Hey Krakmeup

Old 03-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Hey Krakmeup

Krackmeup,

I was looking for the picture of your 496 engine cover installed but could not find it. Could you repost it?

Dave
Old 03-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hey Krakmeup

No Problem-o!
Attached Thumbnails Hey Krakmeup-dsc03753.jpg   Hey Krakmeup-dsc03750.jpg   Hey Krakmeup-cowling.jpg  

Old 03-13-2005, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave,
Did you raise your hatch?
Have you splashed her yet?

Keith, I like the change!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Pat!

It may be incentive to do the Raylar heads instead of the Whipple! Thoughts? I think I 'll start one of 'those' threads.....
Old 03-14-2005, 11:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Krakmeup,
I would not supercharge the new Chevy 8.1. It has cast pistons that will not hold up to the heat.
Both Whipple and Raylar have great head and intake upgrades though.
I like the aluminum head and 1.8 rocker choise from Raylar. For under $3,000 you can bolt on a pair of those babys and gain 50-60HP. That should be good for 4-5mph.
If you go with the new intake and cam you end up with a 525HP, but I'm not sure another $3,000 is worth it. Choise 2 is also a lot more work, and if your not a do it your selfer, more $$.
Keith, do you have a standard Bravo drive?
If so, you probably don't want to push more than 500HP without a drive upgrade too...
Run that baby until the warrenty is up first; then it's time to tinker...
Enjoy your early spring!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks Keith,

The stock plastic cover is hitting the back of my seat. It looks like the custom cover does not come as far forward as the plastic cover.

Hey Patrick,

I bolted some 2x2 angle iron to the gunnels and got rid of those cheesy fiberglass pieces. I raised the hatch about 2.5 inches. I will post some pics soon. I have to do a few interior mods.

I haven't fired her up yet. I just finished rigging my steering. I'm waiting till I don't see any sub-freezing temps in the 10 day forcast. We are still below average temps down here.

Dave
Old 03-14-2005, 09:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
I bolted some 2x2 angle iron to the gunnels and got rid of those cheesy fiberglass pieces.

I'm waiting till I don't see any sub-freezing temps in the 10 day forcast. We are still below average temps down here.
Dave
Please do post a couple of shots. Sounds like a good fix for the cracked hatch supports in my boat.

Below average temps and above average snow fall for us the last month...

I may as well go skiing again this weekend...
Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pat - thanks for all the great info and wisdom! I'm kicking things around now, my plan is to go through this season stock and then in our short winter do some mods next year. I like the heads and intake ideas, though I'm hearing a lot of talk about chargers at low boost (~5psi) on the 496. But, as you mention, the internals are not as robust and no long term studies are out yet, so my timing will be good I hope.

The first thing I need help with is those damn rattle traps in the exhaust - they HAVE to go, it sounds like the engine will grenade at idle! What are they, do I need them, are there quiet versions of same? We're talking about the lead weighted anti-reversion flaps inside the stock exhaust JC installed; I have no idea who makes them, but I will be exploring them very SOON. I will probably look at the GGB mufflers (no real hp loss) and removing the 'turbulator' plates as described here on OSO.

As the season winds down I'll add external steering and then some engine mods. At least that's my thoughts today......
Keith
Old 03-15-2005, 11:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey Keith,
I am not sure what type of exhaust tips JC installed on your boat.
The latest thing is to have internal stainless flappers rather than the old style rubber on the outside.
I have Eddie Marine muffler tips with the internal flapper. The rubber seal burns off after a while and they start rattling like hell at low RPM.
You can cut the flapper out and install the rubber ones on the out side. I would not run without flappers as they keep water from going up the exhaust when your backing up or just hanging with the engine off.
As for steering: Speek to the Guys at CP performance. They have 3 or 4 systems to choose from. If I were you, I would install a twin piston "add on system". Two piston will help you gimble last because the drive is held from both sides. Full hyrdaulic at the helm is the best but a lot more $$...
Happy Boating!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Im having JC use the straight cut exhaust tips from mercury. They have an internal rubber flapper mounted at ut a 60degree angle that rests on a stainless plate with holes in it. I went this route because 1) if they go bad there is a flush set screw at the bottom of the exhaust outlet. Just unscrew it slide the thing out and replace as necessary. 2)NO RATTELING! That sort of thing drives me CRAZY! 3) ease of changing...Oh and Im gonna put the external rubber flapper an as well. Reversion is a four letter word. I may also go with the gibson clamp on straight mufflers and at that point put the flappers on the end of them(they will fit). If you want to see what Im talking about go to Merc Racing and watch the video on the features of the 525 and thell show you the internal flappers I was referring to...

Quick Reply: Hey Krakmeup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.