Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sutphen
20 Sutphen Questions >

20 Sutphen Questions

Notices

20 Sutphen Questions

Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I am guessing I looked at the same boat.... On the plus side, the 6.2 makes it run fast. Down side is the deadrise is not very aggressive.

Comparing it to a Donzi classic, you get more bang for the buck with the Sut. but the Donzi will take the rough stuff better. I like the look of the Donzi better too, and I think most will agree with that. Long term value is probably in the Donzi, because of the name.

So... I say buy it at a good price and run the crap out of it.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in and driven both the 22 Classic and the Sutphen. The Donzi probable does have a steeper deadrise but that bottom can be a handful if not set up correctly. Its very trim/prop/tab sensitive. That being said, the Sutphen handles the ruff stuff fine for its size and is more user friendly.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

The 22C was on my shortlist until I decided to back off about 10k. There was a glut of repo's on the market a few months back, but I just went through a home purchase then and wasn't ready to get back into boating. So I was completely settled for a 20 OL until I came across the Sutphen. I would really like to keep this thread focused on that boat.

I'm getting back my ability to speak after my little allergic reaction to a med. I am calling Rich tomorrow. I'll take my camera with me if I get over there this Sat.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've seen that 20 first hand and it's a real sweet piece with very low time. Although I have not driven the Sutphen 20, I did get a chance to run Morgan's red 21 last fall. I was extremely impressed to say the least. Extremely well built and ran 73 on gps with a 350 Mag!!!

I say go for it!!!

Kurt
Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered

Talked to Rich today. Going there Sat. to take a look.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
I've seen that 20 first hand and it's a real sweet piece with very low time. Although I have not driven the Sutphen 20, I did get a chance to run Morgan's red 21 last fall. I was extremely impressed to say the least. Extremely well built and ran 73 on gps with a 350 Mag!!!

I say go for it!!!

Kurt
Hey Kurt,

How have you been? How many boats do you get up there for the run on July 18th? I have two other possible runs that same weekend but have not made up my mind yet. Will you run your Cig in that run or one of your smaller boats.
Morgan
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Talked to Rich today. Going there Sat. to take a look.
Good luck with Rich on Saturday, he should be putting a new 350 mag into our new 21 LS on Saturday. Take a few pic's for me if you can, can't wait to pick her up in a couple of weeks.
Morgan
Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
I've saw that boat at the NYC poker run yrs ago.
It was finished very nicely.
And i think it was $60k at that time? IIRC.

IMO, and i've driven neither, the Sut will be the drivers boat... and a pleasure to drive!
OK... i was way off.
The boat was not $60k. sorry, my bad.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by talon25
Hey Kurt,

How have you been? How many boats do you get up there for the run on July 18th? I have two other possible runs that same weekend but have not made up my mind yet. Will you run your Cig in that run or one of your smaller boats.
Morgan
Hi Morgan,

The Sebago Lake Poker Run is a great time. There is a "Thunder Run" start for the performance boats. I would guess about 30-40 perf. boats and about another 30 family style boats.

I've never missed this event since its beginning but unfortunately, I'll miss it this year as I'll be at the LEOPA, Lake Erie Thunderfest that weekend. Keep in touch, if you don't make the poker run, you should head up for a fun run before the seasons over.

Kurt