A few stir-the-pot questions

Notices

A few stir-the-pot questions

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dba900
The rule of thumb is around 650 hp max on TRS drives, right? Arnesons sure would be awesome. I guess the point is that the hull can handle as much power as you can throw at it.
I think the rule of thumb is 500 hp on TRS drives.

I just purchased a pair of labbed Hydromotive 29 pitch P5X through the classifieds. I will be very interested to see how these work. 32" B1's were definitely not the prop for my boat. I hit a wall around 4000 rpm that I had to nurse the boat through. I am guessing that the small M1 prochargers were not making enough boost at that point. It was also taking a little longer to get on plane with the Konrad drives. I'm looking forward to trying these out. I'm not so interested in top speed.

Last edited by Jammin'; 02-05-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jammin'
I think the rule of thumb is 500 hp on TRS drives.

I just purchased a pair of labbed Hydromotive 29 pitch P5X through the classifieds. I will be very interested to see how these work. 32" B1's were definitely not the prop for my boat. I hit a wall around 4000 rpm that I had to nurse the boat through. I am guessing that the small M1 prochargers were not making enough boost at that point. It was also taking a little longer to get on plane with the Konrad drives. I'm looking forward to trying these out. I'm not so interested in top speed.
I am not sure what ignition your using but that 4000 RPM number is kind of a majic number for RF signal problems to show up with MSD ignitions.

I chased an RF signal for a whole season on my drag car. drove us freakin nuts. I had just changed the cam and was sure that was the cause. Changed back same problem, So we checked valave adjustment, fuel prump out put. all kinds of things , I even called MSD and sent them my box. They sent it back said it was fine.

eventually I got the RIGHT guy on the phone at MSD and he said that RPM is where Rf kicks in. Re wired and shielded Problem solved.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
I am not sure what ignition your using but that 4000 RPM number is kind of a majic number for RF signal problems to show up with MSD ignitions.

I chased an RF signal for a whole season on my drag car. drove us freakin nuts. I had just changed the cam and was sure that was the cause. Changed back same problem, So we checked valave adjustment, fuel prump out put. all kinds of things , I even called MSD and sent them my box. They sent it back said it was fine.

eventually I got the RIGHT guy on the phone at MSD and he said that RPM is where Rf kicks in. Re wired and shielded Problem solved.
MSD. Hmmmmm.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Registered

yep check the way your wires are running , if they run parallel to eachother anywhere you probably have an RF signal problem. they need to cross at 90 degrees or separated from eachother.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

yep check the way your wires are running , if they run parallel to eachother anywhere you probably have an RF signal problem. they need to cross at 90 degrees or separated from eachother.
I'll check it when it's time to cut the shrink wrap off.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered

yeah not much testing going on in maryland at this point in the year. same here in Ct. Sucks wehn you have an unresolved issue.

That boat is gonna thunder when its done. Its one hell of a nice boat.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Unless the boat is inside in a heated building

Any thoughts on a pair of 370s in this boat? Speed?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

ours originally had 330's I think and ran mid 70's when my buddy owned it, If Memory serves me right but that was almost 20 years ago so I am not sure.

Plus there was only the dream O meter back then no GPS so who really knows.LOL
Old 02-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

ours originally had 330's I think and ran mid 70's when my buddy owned it, If Memory serves me right but that was almost 20 years ago so I am not sure.
My 31 ran 78mph when it was new in 1988 with stock 370 Mercs. out of the factory with TRS drives .
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered

Wow, 78 mph with a pair of 370s! Dayum! I guess they really had that dialed in. I suppose 70 is possible with this setup, then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.